Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
3 hours ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Missing out too as I am down in Essex for the weekend, the second big thunderstorm event that I have missed after the event at the latter stages of the July heatwave. Would have definitely have wanted to chase that monster this afternoon if I was in the region, though I doubt my car could handle large hail. 

Me too buddy. Knew it would happen while I was away. Getting the texts and messages through about it really did rub salt in the wounds!! 

Pretty confident I will see a majorcan humdinger when I go at the end of September though :) that will make up for it I'm sure. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
15 minutes ago, madeinholt said:

Today's storm missed us by at least 25 miles, however, when I was putting the kids to bed earlier I noticed this rather strange cloud formation.

The first shot is taken from the front bedroom window looking west towards Fakenham and the second shot is from the back of the house looking in the same direction.

The third shot better shows high level cloud going up over the storm edge.

20160827_190201.jpg

20160827_185952.jpg

20160827_190321.jpg

Welcome fellow Norfolk member!  I saw that from my location south of Norwich - I'm pretty sure it's a shelf cloud.

Posted

BBC and GFS forecast still going for thunderstorms in the NW overnight, might something worth waiting up for? albeit around 2am.

1 minute ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Welcome fellow Norfolk member!  I saw that from my location south of Norwich - I'm pretty sure it's a shelf cloud.

Hello!

I caught my first glimpse of it from the lounge window, I had to look twice as I thought the sky was on the wonk. The 'shelf cloud' looked like it was travelling quite fast up over the top of the storm edge. Not long after I took the pictures it all merged and the wind direction did an almost instant 180.

Pretty gutted the storm missed us though!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I will certainly be staying up into the early hours just in case. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 minute ago, madeinholt said:

Hello!

I caught my first glimpse of it from the lounge window, I had to look twice as I thought the sky was on the wonk. The 'shelf cloud' looked like it was travelling quite fast up over the top of the storm edge. Not long after I took the pictures it all merged and the wind direction did an almost instant 180.

Pretty gutted the storm missed us though!!!

Just to be clear, the shelf cloud is the low-level stuff, resembling as it does a shelf jutting out from a wall.  It's quite common to notice upper-level clouds overtaking lower-level types or moving in a different direction to it - this phenomenon is called "wind shear", and it has a major role in storm development.  I'm certainly no expert on this, but I'd suggest you might want to spend some time over the rest of the Bank Holiday weekend in the Learners section of the website - there's a great deal of information there on storm development.

Posted
37 minutes ago, TheToastPeople said:

Almost forgot this one of undulating clouds? the camera did this picture no justice it was a beautiful sight!

10.jpg

Is that what they call whale's mouth in storm clouds?

Posted

I am absolutely gutted about today!! I watched it come in on the radar and at work, the next town over was where it really started to pick up, now if I had had my normal Saturday off (this is the ONE Saturday I covered for someone) I would of been out chasing it and would of stayed with it all day!! 

I just cannot believe the one day I do somebody a favour and we get the best storm of the year, possibly for years comes in. Fair play to all that got to play in it, I spent my working hours looking at the radar weeping!!

Is that it now? Or will there be more?? South westwise!!

jamie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I do hope that September will make up for the poor July and August for me. They are normally my best months but this year I think I lucked out in June with some very exciting storm chases. I did, however, get this fantastic sunset in Blackpool last night

vlcsnap-error811.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado
18 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

Is that what they call whale's mouth in storm clouds?

Had to google that but yes it might be!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

I was watching a replay of a stream on YouTube, and the storm that moved across the country today apparently peaked at 160 strikes a minute over Lincolnshire!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

ITV just said chance of storms overnight tonight, but that's the only place I've seen that forecast...

Posted

Lightning hit one of the floodlight pylons at the Leicester City match today! Knocked it out, but they played on!! Lightning all around and pitch under water and they played on!!

Is that responsible from the ref? Should he have taken the players off because of the danger from Lightning?

Edited by Speedway Slider
Missed off word!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

isolated cell heading NE through the English Channel towards Brighton/Eastbourne,and bright echos to the north of London

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Wow sferics just started  Close to me, it's just kicked off and I didn't notice.  8 miles to my north-east. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Either the rain near me isnt hitting the ground or it doesn't exist. 

Posted

It feels uncannily like it did in Holyhead that night on 19 July when we had that massive MultiCell storm cluster in the early hours. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Anyone see the lightning in the Channel yet? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

I can't believe the massive storm from earlier is still going! It's in the North Sea and not far from Denmark. 

Also noticed an isolated sferic NE of Norwich, glitch?