Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
21 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Hearing reports from Peterborough and south Lincolnshire of near golfball sized hail and constant thunder. Missing out big time! 

Missing out too as I am down in Essex for the weekend, the second big thunderstorm event that I have missed after the event at the latter stages of the July heatwave. Would have definitely have wanted to chase that monster this afternoon if I was in the region, though I doubt my car could handle large hail. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Chris.R said:

Wow! Latest GFS now shows 1800 J/kg CAPE and -6 LI overnight, and MO forecasting very heavy and possibly thundery rain tonight as well. 

When a forecast mentions thundery rain, you can almost be certain that you will not hear thunder. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
2 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Missing out too as I am down in Essex for the weekend, the second big thunderstorm event that I have missed after the event at the latter stages of the July heatwave. Would have definitely have wanted to chase that monster this afternoon if I was in the region, though I doubt my car could handle large hail. 

Boring, grey, dull, E'ly gale. So depressing. However the netweather forecast of 0% chance for Norwich was spot on compared with the BBC/Met forecast. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

For those in London/far SE parts, UKMO still keen to break out some isolated thunderstorms across London/Kent/Essex from around 21z - 00z.

Having not long left a chilly Sainsburys the humidity is more noticeable now than ever and the crystal clear skies of a few hours ago are noticeably more hazy again with odd little cloud bubbles...could UKMO be on to something? 

Posted

Well folks, no prizes for guessing which location has got the best storm of the day.

Thats right, its the North Sea! 

Posted
Just now, ChezWeather said:

Well folks, no prizes for guessing which location has got the best storm of the day.

Thats right, its the North Sea! 

Not sure about that we getting battered here in Lincolnshire, aside the reports of the Tescos roof incident there are plenty of reports of heavily flooded roads in the county too, the best of it all we still getting battered as we speak. this storm has been raging now for two hours.

32 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Hearing reports from Peterborough and south Lincolnshire of near golfball sized hail and constant thunder. Missing out big time! 

I was heading back up towards Sleaford earlier and punched through a very heavy core of rain and hail. There wasn't a lot of hail mixed in but it was making an almighty racket bouncing off the car as I was driving away from it! Part of me is very glad I'm not under that intnse stuff southeast of Lincoln! A good day travelling here and plenty of lightning seen and thunder heard, thankfully without putting myself at too much risk :D

Posted

It just goes to show that elevated storms can still produce the goods with reports of flooding, frequent lightning, fair sized hail and funnel clouds (according to John Hammond). I wonder what would have happened had those storms across eastern parts been surface based!?!

Posted
3 minutes ago, Lincs Observation said:

Not sure about that we getting battered here in Lincolnshire, aside the reports of the Tescos roof incident there are plenty of reports of heavily flooded roads in the county too, the best of it all we still getting battered as we speak. this storm has been raging now for two hours.

Yes only a tongue in cheek observation from me, looks like a beast of a storm for you right now! To think i was in Conigsby just up the road from you a few weeks ago, would love to be back there now!

Iv always maintained that South Lincs / Peterborough area is the storm capital of the UK. 

Edited by ChezWeather

Posted
2 minutes ago, Supacell said:

It just goes to show that elevated storms can still produce the goods with reports of flooding, frequent lightning, fair sized hail and funnel clouds (according to John Hammond). I wonder what would have happened had those storms across eastern parts been surface based!?!

A repeat of June 28th 2012 perhaps :help:

• Like 1

Posted

A stunning storm here at the moment with frequent lightning and monsoon type rainfall!

Posted

I'm not overly optimistic of the NW chances tonight with too much outflow and low-temps hampering development. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

Yes only a tongue in cheek observation from me, looks like a beast of a storm for you right now! To think i was in Conigsby just up the road from you a few weeks ago, would love to be back there now!

Iv always maintained that South Lincs / Peterborough area is the storm capital of the UK. 

I think if you were in Coningsby now you would not be disappointed at all its been horrendous...............Geeeeeeeeze that was a bang and a half i nearly jumped outta my skin bloody hell.

• Like 1

Posted

Geeeeeze its bad at the moment the thunder is ear splittingly loud. An update on Tescos it turns out that it was not a lightening strike that caused the roof collapse but the rain guttering overflowing with so much water that was the cause, it appears no one was injured thank god although there are quite a few hundred soggy bostonians

LO

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, LimoPreacherman said:

Not a cloud in sight, im extremely depressed, all around my is a light haze, @Harry you could be onto something, but as of now, it doesn't look very interesting at all.

Well to be fair if there are any it's courtesy of UKMO projections. At the moment I'm inclined to agree with you, not the most convective of skies you'll ever see (in face possibly one of the least lol!). Low level cloud (fluffy Cu) drifting in a now on a much more pronounced southerly wind and the strong breeze we have had all day has now subsided. No doubt there's still some juice about (certainly at ground level at least) with heat and humidity still in abundance.

Posted

Update: it appears that we are through the worst, for the time been however im looking at a line forming from Wolverhampton to Statford. if that builds we could be in for another replay in a hour or two. |For now things are quietening down a tad.

edit: still lightening and thunder although fading!

LO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Wonder if the stuff building in the channel get let loose a few sferics my way? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

Crnt believe im stuck on the northern edge with rain really annoyed :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Wow, just had an enormous flash here with the resulting thunder roll.

Seems ages since we had a storm.

B. :)

Posted

Well all its been a cracking afternoon but alas the fun has come to an end, if that front i mentioned in my last post develops be sure that i will be back. good luck to all who are now in the firing line and enjoy.

LO