Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

In my weeks away has Mr Grimsley formally tendered his resignation???? :cray:

Edited by Harry

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

In my weeks away has Mr Grimsley formally tendered his resignation???? :cray:

Presumably, until UKWW get bored of him I suppose :D

Anyway, scratch what I said about that heavy stuff exiting Wales as it's dying a slow death. It's just plain ol' rain! I'm annoyed at myself for getting mildly excited about it too, as when you look at the stuff over Ireland, it's in a different league of intense!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Home from Clacton now. Still nice out, pretty warm and quite humid but not anticipating anything major tonight

Posted

Anyone got recommendations for good storm watching spots in the south east, east sussex/kent? Looking for a good view over the channel.

Not likely to be much use this evening but for future reference.

Any suggestions appreciated. :)

Posted

Moderate to heavy rainfall again here, been an absolutely miserable day.

Unbelievable contrast to the south

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
5 minutes ago, dave48 said:

Anyone got recommendations for good storm watching spots in the south east, east sussex/kent? Looking for a good view over the channel.

Butser Hill is great for a view over the IOW and to the east too over worthing way

• Like 1

Posted

Raindrops the size of £2 coins falling in Plymouth and ac cas trailing all the way from Lisbon to Devon earlier today according to our dear William on UKWW

Meanwhile here in Surrey still Humid but very quiet.

Edited by Cableguy
Spelling(again)
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
12 minutes ago, dave48 said:

Car park at the top of the western heights, on the military rd. Your at the top of the cliffs looking right at France, unless there is mist or fog.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Some stunning skies here, with mammatus and rainbows

Interesting how clear the sky looks there, and seen other posts saying about good visibility in Dorset. There has been quite high levels of atmospheric haze here all day which has prevented seeing much of the mid-level cloud very clearly, even though we're further away from the continent.

A couple relatively intense echos on radar near me, but you wouldn't have guessed it from the sky as the first one passed just west of here.. some kind of dark base visible on the 2nd one now that's coming this way.

Edit: heavy rain shower, based on the last two months weather.. I can barely contain my excitement! :D lol

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Persistant moderate/heavy rain here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

All over I thinks - at least for the south east. Weird cos I would have expected the SSTs in the channel to help deliver the goods from Biscay but it seems to be killing off all the potential cells :-/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, Evening thunder said:

Interesting how clear the sky looks there, and seen other posts saying about good visibility in Dorset.

It was like a roll of anaglypta wallpaper up until around 3/3:30pm, and then a nice clear slot arrived.

I see some showers are developing in the channel, ahead of the frontal system. The best bet for lightning will be on the Eastern side of that front, as it edges Eastward.

2016-08-25 (7).png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

All over I thinks - at least for the south east. Weird cos I would have expected the SSTs in the channel to help deliver the goods from Biscay but it seems to be killing off all the potential cells :-/

I think it's the cap, I can see clouds coming over now and then that are alto cumulus with patches of ac cas, and completly disperse or look feathery by the time they are almost out of view.

Posted

game over here i think,  dont think it was ever on for us,    despite one of the BBC forcasters saying 'lots of lightning here for a time' as he was referring to the north of England this  evening ,  so where is thats lots of lightning then ?

why do they say that and get hopes up.  should have known better

things never looked quite right all day:nea:  , just light grey clagg and murk all day, yet the forcasters kept saying thunderstorms later ,  i was having non of it

can we sue them:rofl:   

Edited by IanR

Posted
36 minutes ago, Jcweather said:

Home from Clacton now. Still nice out, pretty warm and quite humid but not anticipating anything major tonight

Was the Typhoon loud and proud?:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C
1 minute ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Was the Typhoon loud and proud?:)

Certainly was, but due to the mist and low cloud that developed out over the sea, many displays were cancelled for visibility and safety reasons. The Red Arrows were impressive as always though

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Supacell said:

Northern Ireland not doing too badly either this evening.

Yes, and a lot of lightning flashes over there. Really has kicked off. The MetOffice did not forecast "thundery rain" there, so they got it wrong.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It was like a roll of anaglypta wallpaper up until around 3/3:30pm, and then a nice clear slot arrived.

I see some showers are developin g in the channel, ahead of the frontal system. The best bet for lightning will be on the Eastern side of that front, as it edges Eastward.

2016-08-25 (7).png

Haha it was like that at times here, though some breaks blue sky and altocumulus patches at times this afternoon, but still with hazy air, nothing like as clear as in those photos

Was just stood on the porch listening to the rain from the cell near Exeter (briefly very heavy) and just in case something happened, have a feeling the distant rumbling of a plane is the closest I'll get to thunder though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair Weather, Snow, Thunderstorms

Storm near Brest still alive but has yet to make it's way across the unforgiving english channel

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
Just now, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Cells popping up out of nowhere in the channel. Good news possibly...

Hope so!

This evening really is our last chance now.