Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
1 minute ago, Costa Del Fal said:

Will be interesting to see if anything electrical occurs this far south west. I doubt it but stranger things have happened. :)

indeed....I'm using the reverse psychology thing....lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Not expecting anything but rain here, its been cool and damp all day max temp 16.8c currently16.1c current dp is 15c, good luck everybody if its storms you are after

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Cloud beginning to encroach from the south west, not that I'm expecting anything other than a bit of rain maybe. Still very warm and muggy.

v5hdw2.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
14 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Maybe. Junction 2 of the m5 is my bet :)

I'm hoping for the very start of the A39 here in Falmouth lol. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Notwithstanding the usual North Sea sferics the best storms are over Ireland currently. The sferics around the Bay of Biscay have not managed to penetrate much further north than there current position but generally the rainfall seems to be getting heavier and only now are we entering the timescale whereby most forecasting agencies were saying storms would erupt. Problem is I have lost all confidence due to the lack of sun here today. I suppose this shouldn't make me lose faith as elevated convection will not be dependent on how much sun there has been or how hot it is. Dewpoints are still high here at 17c and higher than that further south.

Keep an eye on the band of increasingly heavy rain currently exiting Wales. It's heading NE'wards and *could* provide something of note in the next few hours across central and northern areas of England.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Place to be still western Ireland or the north sea.

Dewpoint at 15.6C Temp 16.9C

Posted
5 minutes ago, Llangollen said:

Keep an eye on the band of increasingly heavy rain currently exiting Wales. It's heading NE'wards and *could* provide something of note in the next few hours across central and northern areas of England.

If most of the models I've seen are correct, then yes it should indeed!

Alas, the sky here remains as clear as the void between Joey Essex's ears

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Feeling quite depressed with how this summer has gone for thunder to be honest with just three days of thunder back in June.:closedeyes:

I think thats it for Summer thunderstorms now as there is no lightning to the southwest of me as there was a few hours ago so unless we get a surprise storm pop out of nowhere tonight then its another failed thundery period.

Even then if we were to get something later it would in no way make up for the poor summer for storms.

Posted
8 minutes ago, wimblettben said:

Feeling quite depressed with how this summer has gone for thunder to be honest with just three days of thunder back in June.:closedeyes:

I think thats it for Summer thunderstorms now as there is no lightning to the southwest of me as there was a few hours ago so unless we get a surprise storm pop out of nowhere tonight then its another failed thundery period.

Even then if we were to get something later it would in no way make up for the poor summer for storms.

Latest rainfall projections from MetO look better for your area in the next 4-5 hours! 

Dont give up hope son...I haven't and I'm considerably down the pecking order compared to you :D

Posted

someone said earlier 'whats the missing ingredient this time' for this predicted thunder spell to fail yet again

my answer would be its not the 1980's  or 1990's anymore :rofl:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
1 minute ago, staplehurst said:

He's been telling a different UK weather forum about the altocumulus castellanus over Devon for the past few days

Very quite true, I've been eavesdropping! ;)

• Like 1

Posted

Northern Ireland not doing too badly either this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
1 minute ago, Speedway Slider said:

How come as soon as these heavy/thundery showers that Norfolk are having, as soon as they get out to sea, they go absolute bonkers?

Science please?

Screenshot_2016-08-25-19-51-23.png

I don't know why but looks like a possible supercell to me?

Posted
1 minute ago, Speedway Slider said:

How come as soon as these heavy/thundery showers that Norfolk are having, as soon as they get out to sea, they go absolute bonkers?

Science please?

Screenshot_2016-08-25-19-51-23.png

Baffling to me. Sferics over the North Sea, sferics from a trough in supposedly fresher air over Ireland/Northern Ireland and yet nothing in between. Shows the complexity in storm formation. Not a just simple case of heat, cloud erupts and bang.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

I don't know why but looks like a possible supercell to me?

I see what you mean insofar as it does have a nice curved bean like appearance. However you'd usually (but admittedly not always) expect any hook feature to be on the SE most tip where as the location of the curve makes it look more mini-bow echo. Plus I suspect it would be elevated rather than surface based. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
16 minutes ago, staplehurst said:

He's been telling a different UK weather forum about the altocumulus castellanus over Devon for the past few days

....and telling them how to do forecasting/nowcasting as theirs is wrong :lazy:

Edited by ajpoolshark
there and their....i never get it right....lol
  • Like 6