Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
2 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Not goona happen don't think, far far to much cloud and as pointed out above temps are pegged back a little due to this. You want that clearer conditions to the south to move north as quick as possible to get some last minute heat in.

I maybe wrong, but the past tells us this is usually the case and problem in the UK 

Yes and this was the biggest problem today for home grown storms to form. Too much cloud cover!:nonono:

Our last chance now is the mid level convective stuff coming up from Biscay otherwise it will be another total write off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds
1 minute ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Has someone poured crack-cocaine into the North Sea?

Maybe some fell of that boat caught near Aberdeen!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

nice clearance coming into southern/SE England....As this clearance runs NNE, watch this area for development over the next hour or two

storm.png

custom zoom, image courtesy sat24.com

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
4 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

nice clearance coming into southern/SE England....As this clearance runs NNE, watch this area for development over the next hour or two

storm.png

custom zoom, image courtesy sat24.com

Am I right to think there's a nice convergence zone running through the SE?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
5 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Am I right to think there's a nice convergence zone running through the SE?

NMM 06z run would suggest yes

viewimage.png

Posted
8 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

NMM 06z run would suggest yes

viewimage.png

That's more the central england I think

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

To be honest it is not looking great at the moment is it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers
1 minute ago, Supacell said:

To be honest it is not looking great at the moment is it?

Certainly not Supacell,this cloud isn't shifting at all,though it does feel more humid now than it did earlier.Been a pretty poor season here to be fair.Cant seeing it getting much better either.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

That's more the central england I think

I'm looking at the convergence stretching from London up to the wash.....that area should be under clearing skies................I have been watching the UKWW threads with interest, soundings were earlier suggesting severe thunderstorms NE of Bristol to the Wash. Sadly cloud cover is currently putting paid to that risk....In saying that, I'm 35 miles east of Bristol along the M4 and we have some warm sunny intervals pushing local temps up to 25C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It looks like the clear slot would push towards this sort of area, I wouldn't suggest this to be the best place for anything, but maybe it will help..

2016-08-25 (6).png

Posted
5 minutes ago, Spenna'82. said:

Certainly not Supacell,this cloud isn't shifting at all,though it does feel more humid now than it did earlier.Been a pretty poor season here to be fair.Cant seeing it getting much better either.

The first half of June was good for storms, but not around here. I agree, a very poor season for our neck of the woods. 

Temperatures have stumbled up to 19c here. It is much warmer further south, the only hope we have is if something fires off down wind of here and then moves across us.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It looks like the clear slot would push towards this sort of area, I wouldn't suggest this to be the best place for anything, but maybe it will help..

2016-08-25 (6).png

You just placed a large red fence around my house!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

You just placed a large red fence around my house!

That will stop anything from getting in..  dash1.gif 

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Nothing as expected even the showers were fairly mute adding 4 mm to the overnight total. Looking like a dry evening for a while at least as rain pushes north east to the north of us. Places to be north sea or ireland by the looks of things.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Lovely and hot here in Greece. Turkey was under a level 2 from esto today for very large hail. Saw some distant CB's this morning in the very far distance but that was about it. Maybe some activity pushing into the Aegean overnight tonight so I'll be on the lookout. 

Surprised there hasn't been much back at home as it was looking very promising :(. And that Saturday potential is now looking like a usual miss for the UK and will no doubt give Holland, Belgium and Germany a smattering as per usual. 

Majorca to look forward to late September thank god! Really has been a woeful season. No exaggeration on this one. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

This humidity is getting ridiculous. I don't think I've felt anything like this apart from when I've been in tropical regions.

What is that spotty rain called that happens when it's humid? It doesn't really seem like rain. It's been on and off throughout the afternoon. Literally a few spots then stops.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Met Office warning for thundery showers this evening, I take it thats for the stuff developing from Biscay?

Looks like they have extended it South and West as well, though I am just outside of the zone by the looks of it.

Posted

been raining here for the last hour, certainly has a fresher feel, cloud is looking well built in, so any clearing will be to little to late i feel.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Lauren said:

This humidity is getting ridiculous. I don't think I've felt anything like this apart from when I've been in tropical regions.

What is that spotty rain called that happens when it's humid? It doesn't really seem like rain. It's been on and off throughout the afternoon. Literally a few spots then stops.

Agreed Lauren, it's really quite nuts. However, all of the models I have seen (in spite of the the NetW/Estofex/Ukcw storms forecasts) are keeping our neck of the woods dry. Furthermore, judging by the look of the sky (certainly compared with this morning) it's looking more and more stable, leading me to conclude it will in fact be a dry but oppressive night. 

Funnily enough as I type (on a train) I think I might have glimpsed some Ac or the like way off to the south...certainly at the moment overhead however there's no sign of any of the storm precursors Id hope to see.

Edited by Harry