Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Temperature rocketing to 28C under blue skies at a few stations in Suffolk and Kent now. Close to 29C Headcorn aerodrome. Will we hit 30C?

Nothing electrical anywhere near the UK for now, though forcing currently over Biscay, producing some mid-level storm activity, should arrive across southern England early evening before moving NE over central and eastern England.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
3 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Temperature rocketing to 28C under blue skies at a few stations in Suffolk and Kent now. Will we hit 30C?

Nothing electrical anywhere near the UK for now, though forcing currently over Biscay, producing some mid-level storm activity, should arrive across southern England early evening before moving NE over central and eastern England.

It's finally trying to brighten up here, too (temperature reacting immediately) Although i'm not in any risk zone, any little helps for the showers moving up later on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

just got back from a jaunt around Northants/Warwickshire and the Cotswolds....some showery rain to report via some elevated stuff but nothing to write home about....Back home now waiting in hope to see if anything comes up from Biscay......Feeling like a sauna outside with air temp of 23C with dewpoints around a zillion degrees.....lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds
Just now, ajpoolshark said:

just got back from a jaunt around Northants/Warwickshire and the Cotswolds....some showery rain to report via some elevated stuff but nothing to write home about....Back home now waiting in hope to see if anything comes up from Biscay......Feeling like a sauna outside with air temp of 23C with dewpoints around a zillion degrees.....lol

There was some decent convection which led to elevated rain but its like it just couldn't tap into the energy! Air seems fairly clear with a few breaks developing now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

It's lovely here in Clacton, be surprised if we saw any storms today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

I have a horrible sinking gut feeling that the convection with lightning activity down at Biscay will completely die out by the time it reaches here this evening just based on past events and let downs where lightning was out at sea and then as soon as it reaches land it just magically disappears.:sorry:

Hope I am wrong though as we must get at least some thunder from this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

So I'm up near Rickmansworth after finishing work. Where to head? Are storms likely in the current UK airmass or are we waiting for the Biscay Banger later on?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

According to the Netwx SR, we should expect to see storms forming in Central Areas around 5pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Big storm!

MetO are still ploughing for storms across my area but at the moment I'm not so sure... bit of rain just now but that's about it 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Sun's out...temps rocketing

• Like 1

Posted

really really warm here in Basingstoke but raining at the same time. Feels unusual for England, reminds me of being on holiday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Still thick cloud here and 18c with a dp of 17c and so feels humid. Cloud cover is stubborn.

I am casting my mind back to the 19th July 2014. Early storms left residual cloud which never cleared from here but did clear further south around Wiltshire/Oxfordshire. A large thunderstorm erupted there during the early afternoon and ploughed through Derby and surrounding areas through the late afternoon. My point is that I am now clutching at straws and thinking that if a thunderstorm can get going in the warmer temperatures and clearer skies further south then it may still affect here despite cloud cover remaining in place.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Im in Derby today, Thick cloud and light rain atm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

I really do hope we get something later from the stuff down south west otherwise I think thats it for thundery weather this summer for here.

Three days of some thunder in a week in June here certainly isn't what I would call a good Summer for thunder so I hope the Biscay stuff delivers later.

24 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

According to the Netwx SR, we should expect to see storms forming in Central Areas around 5pm.

Not goona happen don't think, far far to much cloud and as pointed out above temps are pegged back a little due to this. You want that clearer conditions to the south to move north as quick as possible to get some last minute heat in.

I maybe wrong, but the past tells us this is usually the case and problem in the UK 

Posted

Leeds Bradford Airport TAF going for a chance of thundery showers into the evening, after this morning's TAF of 100ft low-cloud, fog, and rain.

Posted

afternoon all, despite my earlier hopes of sunshine, warm temps then storms later, i feel this cloud cover has scuppered them chances for here, will keep reading here as im sure further south there will be a few storms kicking about

light rain here now, still a bit of a breeze, certainly not feeling thundery at all

Edited by sparky1972