Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Another case of the right skies leading to absolutely nothing no doubt. Still got some altocumulus grimsleyus here.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Ok, despite trying to not build up too much hope for it to lead to disapointment, I just checked the radar and saw that line of cells (some looking quite intense) approaching from the southwest and noticed some have dropped a couple of sparks near west london. Apologies if this has already been mentioned, I havent been keeping up to date with the thread during this quiet period. I'll be keeping an eye on these cells and even if they don't produce any more sparks I welcome the rain which will hopefully cool things down a bit.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Bloody hell, the lightning and thunder here are very impressive. Loudest for a long time. Properly pouring rain now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Doesn't really feel stormy now, but still looks unstable up there...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Any chance of a night time storm once cloud top cooling kicks in?

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Got an elevated storm just to the south of Heathrow where I am at work this evening with several white/pink forks of lightning seen, though fairly infrequent. Planes still landing despite the lightning close by...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

@Surrey - boy did we get this wrong!!! lol. On the train home from London and saw a gorgeous IC bolt stretch across the SSW skyline (possibly the sferic showing near the M25 Surrey way). Seen another flash too from further west. 

Gobsmacked by the heat and in particular the humidity - it feels much more humid than I was expecting, possibly why storms are more readily breaking out compared to the very isolated storms the MetO for example was predicting. 

Happy days :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

@Surrey - boy did we get this wrong!!! lol. On the train home from London and saw a gorgeous IC bolt stretch across the SSW skyline (possibly the sferic showing near the M25 Surrey way). Seen another flash too from further west. 

Gobsmacked by the heat and in particular the humidity - it feels much more humid than I was expecting, possibly why storms are more readily breaking out compared to the very isolated storms the MetO for example was predicting. 

Happy days :D

Hold my hands up lol! Got it well wrong! Stunning fork lightning cracker of a,storm right over my head 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Yes, that was a bit unexpected! Loudest thunder for quite some time, lovely bright pink forks too, 10 mins of heavy rain. Moved on as quickly as it started but skies are still threatening...

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Unless you're seeing lightning illuminations Summer Sun, that webcam is facing NE whereas all of the action is S and W of Tower Bridge 

Posted

No thunder here (yet) but I'm looking out my window towards Birmingham and there's a lovely rainbow , So there's rain falling somewhere between here and Brum !

• Like 1

Posted

Very dark to my west and southwest. Looks like those stormy cells are slowly coming...

EDIT - Just checked the radar again and it seems they're going to pass to the west of here. Unless the wind changes or something develops to my south it looks less likely we'll get anything. Blast.

Edited by Windblade

Posted

Aside from the storms, it is still 29C and almost dark!!!! 

Look at Blitzortung and you'll see that the storms across London/Hampshire at the moment follow a line all the way to Portugal (including cells across NW France and Biscay). 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, Mapantz said:

20160824_201459.jpgA nice rainbow here, to the East.

But it's only red.....!!!!! Wow!

• Like 1

Posted

My daughter just said she saw a rainbow too. 

Currently all the activity is going to run to the east of here but all the forecasts I have seen show another wave moving up during the early hours which is further west than the first batch. The odd spot of rain here but nothing more. I am quite interested in tomorrow, it looks like there could be some good storms, although the risk does look slightly east of here again on that Convective Weather UK map.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

They seem to lose electrical activity the further north they get. I heard a distant rumble of thunder but nothing more. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
10 minutes ago, Mr_ Nexus said:

No thunder here (yet) but I'm looking out my window towards Birmingham and there's a lovely rainbow , So there's rain falling somewhere between here and Brum !

Yep lovely sky in sth birmingham 

20160824_200856.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Another storm moving in here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Is that a small shower east of Plymouth or just a blip on the radar?