Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

It's gone crazy humid. My hair is frizzing and I'm sticking to everything.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Quite dark and very humid here now with occasional light convective rain. Heard a distant rumble not long ago but that's about it.

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 minute ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

So what time is everything supposed to happen? No forecast seems to actually forecast anything. Seems like everyone is speculating?

Well it depends what you mean by happen. In terms of storm intensity, it's not likely to be much more active than we're seeing now. This cluster of showers will continue to trundle northeastwards, producing a few rumbles here and there.

Posted

Could I possibly pour some cold water over a few posters here?

If you get a storm anywhere in the UK you will be lucky tonight. Some on here are talking in certain terms and that will lead to disappointment. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 minutes ago, Lauren said:

It's gone crazy humid. My hair is frizzing and I'm sticking to everything.

I've felt like that all day, however the humidity does seem to be slowly climbing as the temp is dropping. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Absolutely huge clap of thunder here! Nearly scared the c**p out of me lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Yeah the high temperatures have mitigated the humidity issues today, but now it's cooling down you'll really begin to feel the humidity!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

what an awesome plume destabilisation this is!.......................drizzle...lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
Just now, ajpoolshark said:

what an awesome plume destabilisation this is!.......................drizzle...lol

I know it's the typical pathetic result we in the south get despite dramatic temperatures all day.

i can understand why *some* posters are disappointed and want something big to happen. By rights it should, but there's always a bloody catch. If it was 100 miles further in any direction we would be looking at dramatic supercell storms. It happens all the time so I'm not just being bitter or making stuff up.

thanks Nick for your clarification of the situation. Literally the first I've heard of there not being something more than a few pulse storms on the cards, I was under the impression we were facing a destabilisation. Obviously not now and I stand corrected.

sorry if some people on here though I was getting ahead of myself - I wasn't - I was merely going by the vague forecasts I had seen and heard over the last 48 hours.

tomorrow it looks like the Midlands 'turn'. Bet you they get severe storms. What a waste of heat.

• Like 1

Posted

just been out in the garden watering the plants

feels like a pleasant hot summers evening to me - doesn't feel stormy at all

back from 2 weeks on holiday in Majorca - and we had a few days of +2k CAPE with nothing other than a few clouds and a bit of drizzle

Posted
3 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I know it's the typical pathetic result we in the south get despite dramatic temperatures all day.

i can understand why *some* posters are disappointed and want something big to happen. By rights it should, but there's always a bloody catch. If it was 100 miles further in any direction we would be looking at dramatic supercell storms. It happens all the time so I'm not just being bitter or making stuff up.

thanks Nick for your clarification of the situation. Literally the first I've heard of there not being something more than a few pulse storms on the cards, I was under the impression we were facing a destabilisation. Obviously not now and I stand corrected.

sorry if some people on here though I was getting ahead of myself - I wasn't - I was merely going by the vague forecasts I had seen and heard over the last 48 hours.

tomorrow it looks like the Midlands 'turn'. Bet you they get severe storms. What a waste of heat.

This is a destabilisation occurring through this evening and overnight, hence the reason why there are showery outbreaks of rain developing and running NE-wards, with some embedded lightning on the eastern fringes at times. I'm yet to read any written forecast that suggested anything livelier than that?

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2016-08-24

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C
4 minutes ago, staplehurst said:

This is a destabilisation occurring through this evening and overnight, hence the reason why there are showery outbreaks of rain developing and running NE-wards, with some embedded lightning on the eastern fringes at times. I'm yet to read any written forecast that suggested anything livelier than that?

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2016-08-24

That puts me right on the Eastern fringes of it. A breeze has redeveloped again, and it feels cooler and not all that humid. Not expecting any significant activity now, if any at all

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Had major problems signing in again just now on xbox, had to use the link to the sign in page at the bottom again instead of signing in with the popup at the top of the page...

On topic...incredibly hot here - car indicated 35c while I was driving (and thats while moving - therefore sensor being cooled somewhat by airflow) about 5pm so probably around 36c. Got a very short but quite heavy shower about 6pm that came out of nowhere (skies looked mostly clear). Skys now looking increasingly unstable but not expecting sparks tonight (trying not to get my hopes up after the last two and a half months of utter disapointment). The next few days look like there may be some potential so I'm going to wait and see.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Tomorrow looks more interesting...as it has done for a while

http://www.convective.weatherquest.co.uk/largethumb.php?date=2016-08-25

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

A bit far away for me to hear any of it from here. Just showed distant lightning at the cricket. 

Edited by matt111

Posted
1 minute ago, matt111 said:

A bit far away for me to hear any of it from here . Just showed distant lightning at the cricket. 

Yep. This one...

20160824_194837.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

sadly for me, storms are firing on the eastern fringe of the forecast zone (100 miles too far east for me)............My storm hoodoo continues :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Really quite active storm here in Staines! Very loud thunder, forked lightning, raining now and 28C. Feels like Singapore!

• Like 1