Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

Posted

Dissapointing day for me, missed a nice little storm back home, and then decided to sit and wait here at Conigsby only to be missed to the South. This storm was over Boston/Spalding putting out constant thunder.

A great day for UK storms however!

20160720_191655.jpg

Edited by ChezWeather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
10 minutes ago, Supacell said:

A disappointing chase day for me. I guess I can't win them all and I went wrong in a big way today. I headed up to the NE as this seemed to be the favored area for the biggest storms. Well I am not sure what happened but after the early morning storms which occurred before my arrival nothing seemed to be able to get going. I did get to see some nice undulatus cloud but overall not worthy of the petrol money. Then came the real slap in the face. Thunderstorms developed close to my home across the Peak District. I was already on my way back home by then so decided to try and intercept them. Well, this would have been easy had it not been for traffic congestion all the way down the A1. Even so, I somehow managed to get ahead of them... at which point they went from intense storms to drizzle. 

All that being said, there have been some awesome storms today for some and I am sure today will be remembered if you live in Scotland or parts of East Anglia.Today for me reminded me a bit of the 3rd August 2011. At this time I lived in Yorkshire, but I drove down from Yorkshire towards Cambridge to chase as severe thunderstorms had been forecast. I ended up seeing very little whilst a supercell raged through Doncaster (a town I drove past on my way down south). I got over that, and I will get over this... actually I already have. It can be frustrating though in this country with traffic, areas of no internet and the unpredictability of where the storms will be.

Being a storm chaser doesn't always pay off :D . Some good pictures posted today though, well done those that did. 

Feel your pain slightly. My house got slammed whilst at work, and it was torture listening to the constant booms south of Peterborough and watch it then morph into overdrive as it got to the border with Suffolk. 

You win some, you lose some mate! 

Booking holiday to the Balearics in September. Always a relieving feel after getting unlucky here, as they get some proper humdingers at that time of year. Whether it be a constant strobe lighting show all night out to sea or a daytime cracker! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
Just now, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Feel your pain slightly. My house got slammed whilst at work, and it was torture listening to the constant booms south of Peterborough and watch it then morph into overdrive as it got to the border with Suffolk. 

Booking holiday to the Balearics in September. Always a relieving feel after getting unlucky here, as they get some proper humdingers at that time of year. Whether it be a constant strobe lighting show all night out to sea or a daytime cracker! 

And this is how I look at it. Ironically I sold some thunderstorm footage from back in June today so made a bit of pocket money. I kind of won and lost in the same day.

I am helping my friend move to Germany in August and will be over there from the 18th-23rd August. I am quietly hoping to experience one of their plume style storms whilst I am there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
9 minutes ago, Supacell said:

A disappointing chase day for me. I guess I can't win them all and I went wrong in a big way today. I headed up to the NE as this seemed to be the favored area for the biggest storms. Well I am not sure what happened but after the early morning storms which occurred before my arrival nothing seemed to be able to get going. I did get to see some nice undulatus cloud but overall not worthy of the petrol money. Then came the real slap in the face. Thunderstorms developed close to my home across the Peak District. I was already on my way back home by then so decided to try and intercept them. Well, this would have been easy had it not been for traffic congestion all the way down the A1. Even so, I somehow managed to get ahead of them... at which point they went from intense storms to drizzle. 

All that being said, there have been some awesome storms today for some and I am sure today will be remembered if you live in Scotland or parts of East Anglia.Today for me reminded me a bit of the 3rd August 2011. At this time I lived in Yorkshire, but I drove down from Yorkshire towards Cambridge to chase as severe thunderstorms had been forecast. I ended up seeing very little whilst a supercell raged through Doncaster (a town I drove past on my way down south). I got over that, and I will get over this... actually I already have. It can be frustrating though in this country with traffic, areas of no internet and the unpredictability of where the storms will be.

Being a storm chaser doesn't always pay off :D . Some good pictures posted today though, well done those that did. 

Thats pretty much why I don't chase anymore and if I do it's usually by motorbike (from a safe, preferably dry distance) - traffic. Unless you're really out in the sticks, the uk road network is a congested, disorganised, badly maintained, speed camera infested, anti-motorist mess. I only chase local storms now if I happen to be out and about on the day, but most times I prefer to wait and see if they come to me. Yes, I'm cutting down my chances massively I know, but I'm also saving a lot of money and time. I do admire the dedication of others who chase though, but I'll only do it now if theres a very good chance I'll see something spectacular.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Thats pretty much why I don't chase anymore and if I do it's usually by motorbike (from a safe, preferably dry distance) - traffic. Unless you're really out in the sticks, the uk road network is a congested, disorganised, badly maintained, speed camera infested, anti-motorist mess. I only chase local storms now if I happen to be out and about on the day, but most times I prefer to wait and see if they come to me. Yes, I'm cutting down my chances massively I know, but I'm also saving a lot of money and time. I do admire the dedication of others who chase though, but I'll only do it now if theres a very good chance I'll see something spectacular.

It is the number one reason that storm chasing can be difficult. As you say, the UK road networks are a shambles. This is where living near to Lincolnshire has its advantages, as the county has a lot of empty land so not as much traffic, but this means internet signal is not great there either. Over the years I have lost countless storms to traffic but it is just part of chasing in the UK that we can do nothing about. I do wonder how much longer I will do it for though... the pull of Europe or even the States is getting ever stronger and more appealing.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
32 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Before i set off i was going to post to you....you should have stayed at home....

some cells rapidly developed over stoke earlier so i intercepted them,in case you missed my post earlier,here it is,although i didn't get the full storm it was worth the chase non the less.

bottom of page

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
1 minute ago, Supacell said:

It is the number one reason that storm chasing can be difficult. As you say, the UK road networks are a shambles. This is where living near to Lincolnshire has its advantages, as the county has a lot of empty land so not as much traffic, but this means internet signal is not great there either. Over the years I have lost countless storms to traffic but it is just part of chasing in the UK that we can do nothing about. I do wonder how much longer I will do it for though... the pull of Europe or even the States is getting ever stronger and more appealing.

Tell me about it. The best places are definitely out in the sticks where there is less traffic and better views with less tall buildings in the way. The Usa is tempting though, not just for the ease of chasing, but the nature of their weather is much more severe so theres a lot more to see generally.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Not often you see a UK radiosonde ascent show 1000+ j/kg CAPE, strongly unstable atmosphere today by UK standards, this is the noon ascent for Nottingham.

image.gif

The wind profiles were all wrong to produce a tornado, with a westerly flow at the surface and winds backing Sly aloft (should be other way round). Nonetheless, 1300+ CAPE was enough to produce strong updrafts sufficient to make large hail and also produce frequent lightning.

This water vapour loop for this afternoon/evening shows mid-level trough and associated dry air (dark stripe) and its positive vorticity swing east which enhanced lift to create the storms from the Midlands down to E Anglia, surface cold front marking back edge of this dry air intrusion.

http://brunnur.vedur.is/myndir/seviri/2016/07/20/seviri_eurnat_wv6-2.html

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 5

Posted
19 minutes ago, Supacell said:

And this is how I look at it. Ironically I sold some thunderstorm footage from back in June today so made a bit of pocket money. I kind of won and lost in the same day.

I am helping my friend move to Germany in August and will be over there from the 18th-23rd August. I am quietly hoping to experience one of their plume style storms whilst I am there.

Ah you'll see some crackers no doubt over there. They do as well as France for storms! Someone over there who I know in Göttingen tells me how good they can be! 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Before i set off i was going to post to you....you should have stayed at home....

some cells rapidly developed over stoke earlier so i intercepted them,in case you missed my post earlier,here it is,although i didn't get the full storm it was worth the chase non the less.

It was these cells I ended up intercepting. I met them just near to Ollerton after they had lasted all the way from Stoke... just to die out the moment I reached them. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
11 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Altocumulus castellanus erupted early this morning and it was a very thundery looking sky. It cleared then another bank of altocumulus castellanus erupted around midday.

Thanks weather history . I always enjoy watching your videos . 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
38 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

See you there - I'm off to Ibiza :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

just watched the clips and will upload when i find a minute or two to do so,here is a few screen grabs of the lightning from my clips of the storm earlier,nothing much but lightning is lightning and is a rarity to capture these days:)

sorry there was no CG'S:(

vlcsnap-6993-08-17-22h39m58s598.pngvlcsnap-7473-09-28-11h15m58s374.pngvlcsnap-1238-05-24-09h01m01s180.pngvlcsnap-8552-02-01-01h54m47s797.pngvlcsnap-0211-03-18-13h26m43s949.png

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 4

Posted
50 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Tell me about it. The best places are definitely out in the sticks where there is less traffic and better views with less tall buildings in the way. The Usa is tempting though, not just for the ease of chasing, but the nature of their weather is much more severe so theres a lot more to see generally.

@Supacell

What I will say is, though, once you go to America you'll be hooked and want to go again and again - my first was in 2012, but I've been back every year since, and no sooner have I landed back in the UK after each trip that I'm already looking forward to the following year...

• Like 2

Posted

Not a great day for West Yorkshire but I can't complain with all the lucky snow events we had during a pathetic winter.

Would love a storm but I'm sure this won't be the last plume event of the summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and tornadoes

Off to Tampa for 3 weeks August 2017 so no doubt things should be very electrical :)  

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

See you there - I'm off to Ibiza :D

Awesome! I'm confident we shall see a good one out there! :D 

Posted
7 hours ago, staplehurst said:

@Supacell

What I will say is, though, once you go to America you'll be hooked and want to go again and again - my first was in 2012, but I've been back every year since, and no sooner have I landed back in the UK after each trip that I'm already looking forward to the following year...

I would need a better job to do it every year, although if I did then I am sure it would cure my obsession with UK storms. I just don't think I would find them that exciting anymore. 

It is still on my wish list of things to do, and as I am approaching 40 I need to get to sorting it before I get too old :D 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
7 hours ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

So what is the situation tomo? It's still baking hot here - and I'm hungry for storms! It can't just 'go fresh' overnight can it?

well here its just 'gone fresh' absolute bugger all,