Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

in the Peaks at the moment, thunder rumbling around, though no lightning seen. Seems high based. Lovely structure and a bit of mammatus on display too. Thunder very frequent.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Seeing cauliflowers to the far west rising rapidly!! Still plenty of juice to the east with 29-30c widely. 

Posted

Cannot believe what just happened... Got in my car and headed to Cannock to interesept for my first rumbles/flashes of the year.... just as I arrive it dies possibly the most sudden death I have ever seen a storm have, from whites on the radar one minute to yellows/green 5 minutes later. Ahh I have just heard one rumble from it as I type but it has moved away now, this just shows how ridiculously unlucky ive been so far this year, that just then was my first rumble... Pathetic

correction: that must of just been an error with the radar, either way I still missed the storm

Edited by Staffordshire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, Windblade said:

I zoomed in and it is hard to see but it looks like normal cumulus (I think I can see a gap underneath it which would indicate its just a cumulus). I could be wrong however. Oh how I would welcome a nice storm this evening.

Sorry it is very hazy and much clearer with the naked eye....this however has just started developing in the past 10 minutes (not visible in my last photo)

IMG_0801.JPG

• Like 2

Posted

My latest temp here in West Yorkshire is 26 degree.Thought it would of been lower with the front passing through.

Posted
21 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Hi Harry. Yes, I'm I've noticed some low level convection this past hour. Doubtful it will amount to anything - this heat seems to have made up its mind to stay as long as possible and stop any and all attempts to remove it. 

I remember when I used to live in London, there was a terrific thunderstorm one afternoon in 1997 pretty much in the middle of a high pressure cell.

Intense daytime heating caused your standard low level convection, but after several hours the cap unexpectedly broke and the sky went from blue sky with small fluffy cumulus to BLACK within a very, very short space of time. 

Different conditions today but the principal is the same, if those convective parcels can break the cap things can change very, very quickly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
Just now, Staffordshire said:

Cannot believe what just happened... Got in my car and headed to Cannock to interesept for my first rumbles/flashes of the year.... just as I arrive it dies possibly the most sudden death I have ever seen a storm have, from whites on the radar one minute to yellows/green 5 minutes later. Ahh I have just heard one rumble from it as I type but it has moved away now, this just shows how ridiculously unlucky ive been so far this year, that just then was my first rumble... Pathetic

it was a radar glitch.....please tell me you haven't abandoned it?....if you have, it will go down as the NW 2016 Epic Fail :wink:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I was going to say I think I am under a breeding ground, but just watched a tower disappear as some as it reached me, sun's gone in for a moment and the breeze has dropped. Going to be a typical breaks up before it gets to me and then re-builds but the clouds are moving in a nice direction.

and i have a head ache. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Seeing cauliflowers to the far west rising rapidly!! Still plenty of juice to the east with 29-30c widely. 

Things definitely looking more promising for our area.  Looking at the radar, Lutterworth cell looks to be strengthening, and possibly something going up around Northampton. 

Posted

Ok....the photo of a tower I posted 10 minutes is EXPLODING....it is now a full on textbook Cb (and I can see a further anvil behind it)

There is another tower drying to go up ahead of it too. No sferics detected so far but very much expect that to change soon...bit of a shame really as I'll be off home shortly :cray:

This cell has now developed an overshooting top...will do one more photo just before I leave.

IMG_0802.JPG

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well zippo here. Massive change in forecast from yesterday and the GFS 12 oz made a complete mess up. However the Netx-SR got it spot on when it showed us clearly out of the picture. Sadly this program hasn't been to reliable in the past though. So Mondays forecast was correct ehre dry with sunny spells the local forecast reverted back to that this morning.

Just to rub things in it looks like we're just going to miss one which is going just to the south of us.

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Well zippo here. Massive change in forecast from yesterday and the GFS 12 oz made a complete mess up. However the Netx-SR got it spot on when it showed us clearly out of the picture. Sadly this program hasn't been to reliable in the past though. So Mondays forecast was correct ehre dry with sunny spells the local forecast reverted back to that this morning.

Just to rub things in it looks like we're just going to miss one which is going just to the south of us.

If I lived in sheffield I would be in the car now on the A61 to chesterfield!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
52 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

Not seeing anything lol 

Looking back at the radar and no can I no idea where it got that from

Posted
Just now, Harsh Climate said:

If I lived in sheffield I would be in the car now on the A61 to chesterfield!

Got dinner in the oven. Can hear the thunder hear the anvil over us is decaying though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
Just now, Joseph Hudson said:

sunny with out a single cloud in the sky now very gutting.  

Hi, any chance you could pop your location into your profile?

Posted
1 minute ago, Joseph Hudson said:

sunny with out a single cloud in the sky now very gutting.  

Can you put you location in your sig otherwise you may as well be posting from the moon.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
8 minutes ago, Hughsey said:

Things definitely looking more promising for our area.  Looking at the radar, Lutterworth cell looks to be strengthening, and possibly something going up around Northampton. 

Yep! The cap is definitely weakening big time. sferics now from Northampton way! 

Posted

Here you, last picture before I go...full on mature Cb now, I can assume its located where sferics are currently showing on Blitzortung. Worth noting if you look back through my posts in the past 10 minutes or so, you can see just how explosively this bad boy has developed.

Good luck all...

IMG_0803.JPG

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Is this little hook in this storm a concern??

IMG_20160720_165419.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
15 minutes ago, Harry said:

Sorry it is very hazy and much clearer with the naked eye....this however has just started developing in the past 10 minutes (not visible in my last photo)

IMG_0801.JPG

Thats ok mate, distant clouds are always hard to see and even harder to capture on film. Yes that tower looks much more like it. Definitely unforecast convection going on in london now. What do you think? Should we hope for something after all this evening?

Edit - just saw your latest post. OMG! You can clearly see a developing anvil there. Looks like london and the south east might just get in on the action. Trying not to get too excited as I really didn't expect that, but that picture doesn't lie. What direction are you looking in?

Edited by Windblade

Posted

Wow, Rushden, Northamptonshire

Suddenly from the most smallest of clouds we have constant rumbling, they are blowing up out of nothing and quickly.

Peter

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Windblade said:

Thats ok mate, distant clouds are always hard to see and even harder to capture on film. Yes that tower looks much more like it. Definitely forecast convection going on in london now. What do you think? Should we hope for something after all this evening?

Lol - look at my more recent post - amazing how quickly that has developed.

Personally I am not expecting anything for our neck of the woods - skies behind it are pretty much totally clear and every warning and model projection I have seen shows us staying dry. No reason to expect otherwise sadly (despite the obscene instability modelled).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: I love the seasonal periods of the year, ( in their extremes - of course ).

Lovely mammatus above Sheffield cathedral, just a sham we miss out on the Chesterfield/Dronfield storm