Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

I can hear thunder here. Not sure which direction it is coming from.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

popped off in a few more cells from nothing, south of Birmingham, south of Coventry, Market Drayton. Bridgenorth might be next . 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Costa Del Fal said:

Distant Thunder heard here.

You can hear it too? It must be a good one then. Like I said, don't normally hear them on that side of Wolverhampton so clearly here.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
3 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Hi Harry. Yes, I'm I've noticed some low level convection this past hour. Doubtful it will amount to anything - this heat seems to have made up its mind to stay as long as possible and stop any and all attempts to remove it. 

Have you got any science to Support this theory? Just interested to know why the south is being so stubborn this time round

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
Sounded bolshy!

Posted
Just now, Serendipity said:

I can hear thunder here. Not sure which direction it is coming from.

There is a thunderstom over Lapworth north of you 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Hi Harry. Yes, I'm I've noticed some low level convection this past hour. Doubtful it will amount to anything - this heat seems to have made up its mind to stay as long as possible and stop any and all attempts to remove it. 

It is extremely difficult to tell as the haze is increasing along the horizon, but it looks as if (large uncertainty due to haze) the cap has broken way off to the W/NW of London. Two areas of apparent towering Cu/Cb, one of which is rather flat looking at the top.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

That anvil from that storm over the Peaks is visible here - it's pretty massive.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Some potential severe beauties firing up! But guess who is at work and may miss them all :angry:!!! Look to be heading towards Lincolnshire way. Hope they clip through Cambs!! 

Edit; goodness me, I can see one of the anvils from here! No words to describe how massive it looks :O!!! 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
1 minute ago, Harry said:

It is extremely difficult to tell as the haze is increasing along the horizon, but it looks as if (large uncertainty due to haze) the cap has broken way off to the W/NW of London. Two areas of apparent towering Cu/Cb, one of which is rather flat looking at the top.

Which area is that? I'm in Thorpe and wondering whether to jump on the M25 and head north

Posted
1 minute ago, Shane Wheeldon said:

Meanwhile in Shropshire :D

Tumbleweed-862x574.jpg

Depends which part of Shropshire, there was a storm on the boarders for a short time an hour or so ago, one about to go in Bridgenorth... strike towards staff just now. Nothing major I grant you. 

Posted

Would love leeds to get in on the action but just can't see it! Nether the less interesting viewing : ).

I think this will be a midlands and possibily south yorkshire/linconshire event only...

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Clouds springing to life this end of the woods now but not convinced they will amount to anything.  Some great convection central areas though..

Posted

They're quick movers. The one I was hearing is already in Cannock and heading out to Staffordshire/Derbyshire. Looks like some more could be about though.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstoms cant remember what one is tho!
Just now, SalopWatcher said:

Depends which part of Shropshire, there was a storm on the boarders for a short time an hour or so ago, one about to go in Bridgenorth... strike towards staff just now. Nothing major I grant you. 

Oh well Telford it is :D:rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Gord said:

They're quick movers. The one I was hearing is already in Cannock and heading out to Staffordshire/Derbyshire. Looks like some more could be about though.

can see the damn thing, to my south, looks more fierce than the one that missed to my north

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
18 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Have you got any science to Support this theory? Just interested to know why the south is being so stubborn this time round

Just what I call the law of typicality! In other words, no evidence at all apart from the forecast (the south east is not forecast for anything except dry and hot weather). Just a gut feeling this heat won't let anything develop and won't let go until it absolutely has to with its dying breath, and even then it'll still dig its claws in and refuse to die!

Edited by Windblade

Posted

They're certainly fast moving, direct hit needed for max reward. All just to the north of me and well out over the peaks now. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Would love leeds to get in on the action but just can't see it! Nether the less interesting viewing : ).

I think this will be a midlands and possibily south yorkshire/linconshire event only...

That cell around south of Chester may clip your area,if gains intensity HC

Posted

Got dark clouds bubbling up right on top of me now. They might do something soon?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
10 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Which area is that? I'm in Thorpe and wondering whether to jump on the M25 and head north

I'm at Cannon Street and what I'm seeing is way way off to the WNW of St Pauls, so as a guess I would say Oxfordshire way maybe?

Nothing immediately apparent on satellite or radar so perhaps it's just fair weather Cu...but looking increasingly like a robust Cb

See photo (very hazy!)...zoom in past the spire. Extremely far away but increasingly Cb looking IMO.

IMG_0799.JPG

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
4 minutes ago, Harry said:

I'm at Cannon Street and what I'm seeing is way way off to the WNW of St Pauls, so as a guess I would say Oxfordshire way maybe?

Nothing immediately apparent on satellite or radar so perhaps it's just fair weather Cu...but looking increasingly like a robust Cb

See photo (very hazy!)

IMG_0799.JPG

I zoomed in and it is hard to see but it looks like normal cumulus (I think I can see a gap underneath it which would indicate its just a cumulus). I could be wrong however. Oh how I would welcome a nice storm this evening...

Edited by Windblade

Posted

At the moment these just look like typical thunderstorms, nothing like the monster that clobbered bournemouth last year and the one that tracked up from chester, alway up western yorkshire to newcastle with 300+ strikes a minute.

• Like 2