Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
11 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Come on fellow Southerners? Let's just rejoice in the fact that, this time, it's the Scottys that have got the best convection? I've almost lost count of this year's thunder-days, so far!:D

LOL also have you noticed you live in Suffolk and not in surrey :laugh:

• Like 1

OK so thanks to anyone who has replied to my earlier post asking for best guesses on storms. Really a bit of a lottery right now but I am heading out, camera in hand, to chase south of Manchester possibly A50 corridor giving me option of ENE on M1 or A1M later. Look out for an irratic driver in an old skoda

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Off to intercept that Stoke cell,wish me luck.:)

• Like 1

Posted

Dark base underneath the TCu towards Buxton, thunder in the distance heard here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
6 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

there is a robust cap in place which is inhibiting shower development......the cap will slowly erode as the afternoon wears on....because the cap is so strong it takes a lot of energy in any air parcels to break the capping. If any parcels do have the energy to break the cap then you will see explosive  development in that particular cell...........if the cap starts to erode (as per modelling) then more individual cells might fire where instability/forcing from wind convergence/insolation is strongest

referring to my post, the following radar grabs taken 15 minutes apart show the above reasoning.....explosive development as discrete cells overcome a robust cap

radar0.png     radar1.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstoms cant remember what one is tho!

I cant hear anything around here but the lighting app on my phone shows lightning 15km east, but i am stuck in an office till 4:45!

Posted

Some wonderful anvils going up around here. Still clear overhead though and can't hear anything.

Tell a lie...that was thunder just then!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Just heard thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Sferics just south of Warrington now - the NW is exploding..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...
Just now, ajpoolshark said:

referring to my post, the following radar grabs taken 15 minutes apart show the above reasoning.....explosive development as discrete cells overcome a robust cap

radar0.png     radar1.png

Was about to post the same thing. 

Makes predicting where the next one will pop up from fun... im looking for any tiny scrap of precipitation on the radar! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

A few fresh cell popping up to our East atm....showing ppn

IMG_7096.JPG

IMG_7099.JPG

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
2 hours ago, P-M said:

These pics from Twitter sent to BBC Weather from the Borders of Scotland today - very impressive! 

The pic on the left looks like a supercell.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Its looking really quite 'frothy' over towards the Chester area at the moment, and heading northwards :)

IMG_8443.JPG

Posted

Quite a bit of thunder in the distance now. Think this is the one Wolverhampton way?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

the storm over Wallsall/Codsall is very interesting in my opinion.........strong hail core with nice ppn fan spread downwind.....it's well organised and looks like it has the potential to turn supercellular givern the parameters in place......it is already showing signs of having that classic triangular supercell shape

Posted

Don't normally hear the thunder so clearly from a storm that distance away here. Quite breezy out so think the sound is carrying on it.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Distant Thunder heard here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
1 hour ago, Harry said:

Cu field has appeared around London in the past hour, coinciding with rocketing temperatures (after a hazy/cloud patch moved across late morning). Temperatures are around 28C/29C here right now, perhaps might squeeze a 30C in these parts in the next hour or so.

I am thinking based on the look of the sky there could well be some isolated convection through the evening here, in line with recent forecast/warnings updates.

Jealous of those up North, those storms have appeared awesome.

Hi Harry. Yes, I'm I've noticed some low level convection this past hour. Doubtful it will amount to anything - this heat seems to have made up its mind to stay as long as possible and stop any and all attempts to remove it. 

• Like 1