Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
1 minute ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Yeah it'll probably take 30-45 minutes for the storm to reach Holyhead and by then if it all weakens I'd be amazed!

Even then it'll probably begin to back build too.

That's what I like to hear!  Haven't got a good 3G here so couldn't really see its position, so thanks. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Extreme western parts doing good.

Do wish we had more of an event like July 3rd last year though. Remember that lot kicking out hundreds per minute by now! One of the most satisfying moments of my life was watching the constant strobes bearing over towards me and listening to the relentless pings on lightning maps as it did! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
12 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

That's what I like to hear!  Haven't got a good 3G here so couldn't really see its position, so thanks. 

I've never travelled to a location to watch a storm so I'm no expert but you could probably see lightning from Holyhead right now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and anything unusual

Ok I'm done watching lightning from storm clouds literally 50 miles away I'm going to get a bit of sleep before something comes here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
1 minute ago, Martin Auld said:

Ok I'm done watching lightning from storm clouds literally 50 miles away I'm going to get a bit of sleep before something comes here

It's funny because I'll stay up for storms that won't even come near me, I just love watching the radar for hours on end!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I'm not sure about the chances here now.. seems to be light precipitation which doesn't really fit the scenario. I'll sleep now but this far east it may be asking too much for a good storm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Nearly 3am and that low is still only over Cornwall and Devon. I'm going to get my head down for a bit, and then at 7 get up and see what's occurring. Definite delay in this low and CF shifting through to my eye. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I think it's died.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
9 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

I'm not sure about the chances here now.. seems to be light precipitation which doesn't really fit the scenario. I'll sleep now but this far east it may be asking too much for a good storm.

Nowt is going to happen here that's for sure. Seen enough now to suggest that the main area will slaide up the Irish Sea and probably make landfall somewhere on the Lancashire coast. Think GFS has barked up the wrong tree on this one sadly.

Posted

Nearby dogs are going mad. Think I might be able to hear something on the very edge of  audibility. 20 miles away closest strike. 

Posted

The feeling in the air here is incredible. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Chris.R said:

Nearby dogs are going mad. Think I might be able to hear something on the very edge of  audibility. 20 miles away closest strike. 

You might be just about to get lucky, strikes in Caernarfon. There seem to be separate cells forming as the active region moves up the Irish Sea. The strikes are to the east of the red blobs on the rainfall radar and wee new cells seem to be creeping eastwards.

Posted

Omg  I just had the most  deepest, sinister,  Rowling boom of thunder I have ever heard.  Gave me goosebumps. Wow. 

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

See? Told ya so :yahoo:

That was from 16 miles away according to my Lightning Alarm. I really can't describe how scary  and amazing that boom was. While, 10 miles now. 

• Like 1

Posted

Distant thunder now clearly audible to the south-west. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Chris.R said:

That was from 16 miles away according to my Lightning Alarm. I really can't describe how scary  and amazing that boom was. While, 10 miles now. 

I'm watching your area on lightningmaps.org and it's creeping closer to you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

I have just experienced the best ever thunderstorm I have seen in Scotland. I am in Aviemore for the week and we have just been hit by a amazing storm, constant thunder and lightning! I have some great pics and video that I will share later. :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Still at home but after a little bit of sleep I am ready to chase. The forecast path for those storms over the Irish Sea is NE with NW England likely to be hit. However, they appear to be moving due north and so I cannot see how that is going to happen. I need to see something develop further east and then I will head out in the direction of the NW coastline.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Supacell said:

Still at home but after a little bit of sleep I am ready to chase. The forecast path for those storms over the Irish Sea is NE with NW England likely to be hit. However, they appear to be moving due north and so I cannot see how that is going to happen. I need to see something develop further east and then I will head out in the direction of the NW coastline.

Bloody crap so far. Been up all night and there's nowt happening for miles. As you say, don't know how those cells in the Irish Sea are suddenly going to veer east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I can see very distant lightning out west. It won't reach here but at least it's happening somewhere

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Bloody crap so far. Been up all night and there's nowt happening for miles. As you say, don't know how those cells in the Irish Sea are suddenly going to veer east.

I suspect that further thunderstorms will start breaking out further east as the plume destabilises from west to east. However, aside from Scotland and Ireland all the activity so far is predominantly over the sea. BBC weather seem to think there will be potential disruption from these storms over NW England for the morning rush hour.