Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
2 minutes ago, John Hodgson said:

Nope. Was due to be taken over by another company. Wikipedia suggest a new company will be chosen this year although i haven't managed to find any info, and I'm fully aware wikipedia isn't the best of sources. 

Lucasfilm

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms or snow

think I can see some of cloud bases to the south west. still think it may rain in Portsmouth in the early hours but probably all

GFS 12z run looks reasonably on the ball in terms of precip forecast if you look at its 21:00 precip image and compare it to the 10pm radar it isn't far off. GFS still keen to bring a lot of heavy rain/thunderstorms across Wales, NW Eng, N Mids towards the small ours of Weds morning...

21:00

ukprec.png

09:00 Weds

ukprec.png

Posted

Storms building seem to be collapsing do something is inhibiting them.

Edited by Darren Bown

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
4 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Looks like precipitation increasing around the North Wales region.

Looks like that dam anoprop WH:wallbash:

mid/north Wales maybe,was you on about the north coast?,looks like anoprop,it has been doing that for a while now.

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Ah ok, regarding the metoffice/BBC thing, that clarifies things somewhat, I thought the BBC and Met Offices contract ceased with immediate effect, but I wasnt 100% sure. Good to have that cleared up. 

As for the prospects, there's a lot of cloud around now, it's keeping the temperatures up though, still 27C here.. with a smell consistent with Mediterranean holidays (that sweet smell at night)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
6 minutes ago, Darren Bown said:

Storms building seem to be collapsing do something is inhibiting them.

Yes there is a cap caused by a relatively high pressure area, this cap should start to lift by morning time around our region as low pressure moved eastwards, thus allowing some rapidly developing cells.

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)
1 minute ago, SP1986 said:

(that sweet smell at night)

Given off by all the flora! honeysuckle is my favourite. 

Its still warm here, beautiful clear skies but temperature has dropped almost 10c. Good luck to you northern lot. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
18 minutes ago, Darren Bown said:

I thought they did at the moment. They certainly haven't said who they get them from if they don't.

I think they have there own forecast team, remember watching a vid about it sometime back.

Posted
3 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

Ah ok, regarding the metoffice/BBC thing, that clarifies things somewhat, I thought the BBC and Met Offices contract ceased with immediate effect, but I wasnt 100% sure. Good to have that cleared up. 

As for the prospects, there's a lot of cloud around now, it's keeping the temperatures up though, still 27C here.. with a smell consistent with Mediterranean holidays (that sweet smell at night)

If it smells like Mediterranean holiday at night. I suggest you get your drains checked 

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, Mesoscale said:

Given off by all the flora! honeysuckle is my favourite. 

Its still warm here, beautiful clear skies but temperature has dropped almost 10c. Good luck to you northern lot. 

We have some pine trees, a date palm and cistus and it smells amazing.. very similar to those night in coastal Greece/Spain.

• Like 4

Posted

Patience is required if you're in Britain, the best conditions won't develop until well after midnight. I think there will be a serious light show in western portions of Britain after 0200h most likely towards 0500h. The most active zone for you is still southwest of the Channel approaches. In western Ulster it's on now, there's a massive cell over the ocean just south of Carrick (co. Donegal) and widespread moderate thunderstorm activity in Connacht. 

I am going to drop my "screw zone" to patchy fail zones within the general area outlined before but everyone is going to be close enough that lightning should be seen if not right in the vicinity. So anyway, enjoy the light show, you may be asleep when it starts. 

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, weirpig said:

If it smells like Mediterranean holiday at night. I suggest you get your drains checked 

:rofl: I wasn't referring to Faliraki :friends:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spicy weather

Storms passing by :angry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
15 minutes ago, Joseph Hudson said:

think I can see some of cloud bases to the south west. still think it may rain in Portsmouth in the early hours but probably all

I've been watching radar some small showers which I thought were anoprob have moved NW from France from that peninsula near cern, may hit poole, if your right about them being showers. Don't think they will do much anyway.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Darren Bown said:

A right mess of precip in Wales.

The PPN is starting to show signs of intensifying as it moves northwards, but that could be due to topographical influence.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

BBC seem to have taken away the potential for South Yorkshire.   Smells ripe out there so we will see

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Right,i am off but hopefully be awaken by a storm,THE WINDOWS AND CURTAINS ARE OPEN:D

night all and enjoy the storms if you get any.:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
1 minute ago, Allseasons-si said:

Right,i am off but hopefully be awaken by a storm,THE WINDOWS AND CURTAINS ARE OPEN:D

night all and enjoy the storms if you get any.:)

good luck mate not expecting anything here

Posted
Just now, Mark Griffin said:

BBC seem to have taken away the potential for South Yorkshire.   Smells ripe out there so we will see

Please take heed of the advice I gave   sp1986 .  I'll stop now 

• Like 1