Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Does anyone know where the CF is that's forecast for this afternoon from the west?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes, snow, thunder, hot heat, ice cold, etc

little puffs of cloud floating past now, been clear blue all day, and damnnn its hot out there, hoping a stray storm that doesnt wanna follow the models or the forcasts can arrive here later, could really do with it here xx enjoy the beautiful weather everyone, and good luck to all in the warning zones for tonight 8):girl_devil:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
6 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Absolutely clear skies here for two days in a row. Not a single cloud. Just the sun relentlessly beating down. Incredibly, stiflingly hot (trying to sleep last night, even with a fan on was unbearable). I was out on my bike earlier in it which is normally a good way to cool down (I have a vented jacket - basically a jacket with thousands of tiny holes in it for just such weather) and it didn't help at all, infact I felt hotter riding it then just sitting around in the shade (which in itself is unbearable at the moment, let alone a sunny patch). I think at this point its so hot here that all I was doing was turbocharging warm air onto my body as I rode along. What I wouldn't give for those storms the rest of the country is forecast. We really, really need some storms/rain/a miracle down this way at the moment.

I just go out on my bike in a vest sports top and shorts and let the wind cool my skin. Sometimes I stop at streams or waterfalls and stick my head under! It was fine yesterday evening even at 30c. It's hotter this afternoon, but I'm still off out.

Just clear blue sky here in Limousin and baking sunshine - our storms seem to be forecast for tomorrow night into Thursday.

I can't wait to see what happens over there

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms or snow
1 minute ago, Windblade said:

Just to clarify, I wasn't being sarcastic, I was talking about your avatar pic (obviously a fellow star wars fan)! I never use real photos of myself online.

ok thanks for welcoming me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
7 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

I just go out on my bike in a vest sports top and shorts and let the wind cool my skin. Sometimes I stop at streams or waterfalls and stick my head under! It was fine yesterday evening even at 30c. It's hotter this afternoon, but I'm still off out.

Just clear blue sky here in Limousin and baking sunshine - our storms seem to be forecast for tomorrow night into Thursday.

I can't wait to see what happens over there

Yeah, I cant really do that (I could, but I'd fear for my safety). I don't fancy coming off at high speed with no protection! Opened all the vents in my helmet and opened the visor to get as much air through as possible but its my back (have a rucksack on) and legs that feel the heat the most, even with my vented jacket on.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spicy weather

Dunno whether to stay up all night with my face stuck to the window or just forget about it? It looks to have been downgraded in my area for overnight storms! Typical :cc_confused:

Posted

A few small cu building now but dissipating fairly quickly, over 32C here now.

Posted
2 minutes ago, P-M said:

Does anyone know where the CF is that's forecast for this afternoon from the west?

Cold front(s) couple hundred or so miles W of ROI on 12z analysis.  Will be pushing east across the country during tomorrow, perhaps not clearing until early hours Thurs. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, weather09 said:

Cold front(s) couple hundred or so miles W of ROI on 12z analysis.  Will be pushing east across the country during tomorrow, perhaps not clearing until early hours Thurs. 

Great thank you :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I'm thinking this could be a rare UK situation where lightning is possible without a storm if that makes sense.

We know where the favoured areas are for thunderstorms now, that's well documented, but leaving the PPN charts aside and looking at other such factors, I'm wondering as the CF engages the high theta airmass ahead, if elevated lightning is possible more widespread, without the PPN.  SW England for example, could experience this scenario.

gfs_srh_eur18.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
20 minutes ago, P-M said:

These well help you: :)

2016-07-19 (4).png 2016-07-19 (5).png 2016-07-19 (6).png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

The met office video forecast out currently suggests lightning from mid level storms for us in the SW quarter of the country with little rain. Perhaps hinting there could be some 'dry storms' tonight as hinted above like in previous years.

• Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

These well help you: :)

2016-07-19 (4).png 2016-07-19 (5).png 2016-07-19 (6).png

Perfect cheers mate

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

I've spent most of the day on the road, and despite the azure blue sky, I decided to listen to an AM radio station whilst driving, just in case of any sferic activity that might have popped up somewhere.:search:
Apart from a very strong breeze, all is currently quiet on the western front.:mellow:
Still there is plenty of time, and the day is hot... Maybe I should fire up the barbecue when I get home... Just to give the storms a helping beacon to find us. Lol :)

• Like 1

Posted

Manchester TAF is interesting, going for thunderstorms from 8pm, and just past through midnight is a chance of thunderstorms with associated 'heavy hail.'

5 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Manchester TAF is interesting, going for thunderstorms from 8pm, and just past through midnight is a chance of thunderstorms with associated 'heavy hail.'

That would be ideal here -  a view from the Peaks just like last year (I think that was when Malcolm got a really good video of frequent heat lightning from a distance) would be epic! I'm ready to travel if necessary tonight :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Back to blue skies now, with the earlier cloud moving out north. Temperature up at 27C, nice!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

A lot of cumulus clouds growing in size currently, especially to the south. 28C and very humid.

Edit: a few towers in the distance...

Edited by Ross Andrew Hemphill

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds
33 minutes ago, Costa Del Fal said:

The met office video forecast out currently suggests lightning from mid level storms for us in the SW quarter of the country with little rain. Perhaps hinting there could be some 'dry storms' tonight as hinted above like in previous years.

I was thinking along these lines, happened last year with a less moisture laden airmass being moved so still hold some hope!! It was very impressive as I had never seen lightning like it before

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstoms cant remember what one is tho!
10 minutes ago, StormChaseUK said:

High cloud now rolling in SW.

20160719_155639.jpg

No!  I want to enjoy at least a couple of hours of this summer in the garden with a BBQ,beer and some sunshine   :nonono:

:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
1 hour ago, AWD said:

I'm thinking this could be a rare UK situation where lightning is possible without a storm if that makes sense.

We know where the favoured areas are for thunderstorms now, that's well documented, but leaving the PPN charts aside and looking at other such factors, I'm wondering as the CF engages the high theta airmass ahead, if elevated lightning is possible more widespread, without the PPN.  SW England for example, could experience this scenario.

gfs_srh_eur18.png

I've never heard of lightning without a storm? I thought the two things were mutually exclusive.

• Like 1