Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel ways to protect wildlife

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I created a new topic...

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-36735506

Poor little mites

• Like 1

Posted

Good thread, Spikec. 

Interesting to know where corridors are being created for the safe passage of wildlife.

Posted

I caught the tail end of something on this subject in Birmingham and I think they may have been talking about this.

Birmingham has a great variety of attractive open spaces, such as Sutton Park, Moseley Bog Local Nature Reserve and the Cole Valley. The extensive canal system and Birmingham’s three rivers form a network of open corridors throughout the City. Here, thousands of plants and animals survive and thrive alongside industry and housing. The people of Birmingham can enjoy nature on their doorstep.

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Satellite?c=Page&childpagename=Development%2FPageLayout&cid=1223092715237&pagename=BCC%2FCommon%2FWrapper%2FWrapper

I always find it difficult to believe how many miles the Arctic Tern covers during migration.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

alarm.jpg

These devices are being deployed on sections of road in Tasmania in areas which have a high concentration of devils. They are spaced about 100m apart and when triggered by the headlights of an approaching vehicle, emit a flashing light and loud siren, scaring devils away from the road. Devils are scavengers and eat wildlife that have been hit by vehicles, but unfortunately many end up becoming roadkill themselves. The Tasmanian devil is now an endangered species with a transmissable cancer wiping out about 80% of the population since the 1990s. About 1000 devils get killed by vehicles every year but these electronic posts have cut the road kill by two-thirds in the areas they are being trialed in.