Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted

Just caught the BBC Scottish news, temperatures as low as -11*C, perhaps -12*C are being forecast for this evening. Parts of the highlands are already at -8*C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

not for us though low levels south! yes only 20th Nov, but this time last year, I'd already seen snow, a step behind this Nov, not a flake

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
53 minutes ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

-11c apparently

Yep Braemar takes the UK's first minus double digits low of the season

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
11 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

not for us though low levels south! yes only 20th Nov, but this time last year, I'd already seen snow, a step behind this Nov, not a flake

Snow before Christmas in southern lowland Britain is pretty rare. I too saw snow falling last November here near London but then look what happened....

It has been a very pleasant Autumn this year, have enjoyed the mostly quiet conditions. So nice not be battered by Atlantic gales constantly!

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Perfect late autumn weather from midweek. Dry  and hopefullly if its a mostly clear hp -bright,chilly by day ,frost at night . My favorite type of Nov weather. Don't mind at all waiting for any real cold and any snow possibilities until next month.

The hunt for proper cold and snow sure has started early this yr,I remember a time on net weather that this didn't really start until well into dec.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

This Autumn is a change,just spent 3hrs canoeing up the M1,been a long time since i've seen such prolonged rain like today. 

Posted

There has been quite a notable north-south split so far this November, the line roughly from River Ribble to Humberside, with a bulge south to cover much of north Peak District. North of this line it has in the main been relatively cold, with much frost and early in places notable snowfall. It has felt more like early winter than late autumn. Today has been the first day with that miserable wild late autumnal day feel, with twigs and leaves stripped from trees, and water gushing around everywhere.

Posted

Getting an exceptionally dry November is very difficult, the driest November on record for England and Wales is 1945 and that November doesn't even feature in the top 50 driest months on record. The 10th driest is 1896 at 40.7mm and that is not really that dry when compared to very dry months. For instance, there were two months this year alone that were within 6mm of that November 1896 total. Last year, there were two drier months than November 1896.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
33 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Getting an exceptionally dry November is very difficult, the driest November on record for England and Wales is 1945 and that November doesn't even feature in the top 50 driest months on record. The 10th driest is 1896 at 40.7mm and that is not really that dry when compared to very dry months. For instance, there were two months this year alone that were within 6mm of that November 1896 total. Last year, there were two drier months than November 1896.

Always believe dry weather is most hardest to come by in November, largely due to the significant cooling that takes place over the northern hemisphere and how this interacts with still warm SST values - it fuels the jetstream and ensures frontal features have real oomph to them.

Also high pressure over Europe and Scandanavia has a much harder time standing still, thanks to inhibited warm/cold pooling at the surface, however, come December, cold pooling is much more likely to manifest making the air at the surface very dense and hard to shift.

Its always noteworthy then when we do record relatively dry conditions in November. I suspect most places this November are running above average, despite the fairly blocked pattern.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
4 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

I suspect most places this November are running above average, despite the fairly blocked pattern.

Until the last few days, I'd have disagreed with you, but we are probably now running around average.

Posted

A lovely end to autumn looks on the cards, in general remaining dry and cold with lots of bright weather and sunshine, some cloud over the weekend and perhaps a wet last day, but compared to how things were this time last year - we should be rejoicing. End of November last year brought rain soaked countryside in the Lake District, which laid the foundations for the horrendous floods in early December. It feels far far far better than last year - many people around here are naturally awaiting the winter with trepidation after last year, and its good to see the weather is likely to play a very different turn - I've commented many a time on how very wet spells seem to end abruptly with notable dryness after, and how one season one year when it is extreme can often be followed by the complete opposite extreme. 

• Like 3

Posted
21 hours ago, damianslaw said:

A lovely end to autumn looks on the cards, in general remaining dry and cold with lots of bright weather and sunshine, some cloud over the weekend and perhaps a wet last day, but compared to how things were this time last year - we should be rejoicing. 

Yes, I have to admit I've really enjoyed autumn this year.  While we've had quite a few dry autumn spells in the last few years, they seem to have been of the warm variety or earlier in the autumn (eg Sept '14) so it's been a refreshing change to have something a little colder without having to endure the usual zonal fayre. The lack of any significant gales here until last weekend's storm also kept the leaves on the trees long enough to produce some beautiful autumn colours - can't recall anything similar in a long time.  Here's hoping for a more seasonal winter too!

Posted

A much better autumn  than last year's. Infact, a decent autumn. Any real warmth has been concentrated in the September, some lovely autumnal colours, some wintriness in November.

Last year's autumn was a cool September and a very wet and mild, overcast November. Last November was awful.

• Like 2