Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
14 minutes ago, 40*C said:

another disappointing "heatwave" for northerners. Why does Manchester always lack behind last whenever theres a plume? Windows 10 weather app also reports 21c in Manchester and 30c in Sheffield? 

Yes we've been very unlucky today- just caught the eastern edge of the cloud- it's clear about 15-20 miles east of Manchester which explains the much higher temperatures. Gutted. But at least it did reach a humid 24C before the cloud moved in. It's more a western problem than a 'northern' one. Manchester usually does better than places further west such as the west coast of NW England.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Hopefully will be nice and hot for you tomorrow...the cloud doesn't look like saving you

I can cope with one hot autumnal day :good:

Half day at work too :good: :good:

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

I can cope with one hot autumnal day :good:

The humidity makes it feel very un-autumnal though- the sun is lower but on hazier days in mid summer it feels less vibrant as well. I was out at lunch time in the sun (still managed 24C before the cloud arrived) and it felt rather summery.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

29C here with sunshine all day. More cloud now, but just Ac so the sun is still shining hazily.

Very still - almost no wind, which makes it feel warmer. 

Manchester will be warmer tomorrow for sure, high 20s there. We might even get low cloud because the wind is due to go N/NEly tonight - one of those small subtle changes that were only picked up on last minute, that can have drastic results on the weather.

Edited by cheese

Posted
Just now, Scorcher said:

The humidity makes it feel very un-autumnal though- the sun is lower but on hazier days in mid summer it feels less vibrant as well. I was out at lunch time in the sun (still managed 24C before the cloud arrived) and it felt rather summery.

Was out and about yesterday and the general atmosphere is completely different. Trees starting their turn now, daylight is different- sun lower in the sky. Summer has had it, it's crocked, used up. Autumn is a lovely season.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Was out and about yesterday and the general atmosphere is completely different. Trees starting their turn now, daylight is different- sun lower in the sky. Summer has had it, it's crocked, used up. Autumn is a lovely season.

Autumn is lovely when the weather is dry and settled, and we get periods of high pressure with mild sunshine during the day and frosty nights.

Unfortunately, the reality is often very different and in this country we're more likely to get rain and gales, blowing the leaves off the trees before they get much chance to turn colour. I would say autumn is a lovely season.. in some parts of the world, but not in the UK. November is without a doubt the most depressing month of the year.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

Autumn is lovely when the weather is dry and settled, and we get periods of high pressure with mild sunshine during the day and frosty nights.

Unfortunately, the reality is often very different and in this country we're more likely to get rain and gales, blowing the leaves off the trees before they get much chance to turn colour. I would say autumn is a lovely season.. in some parts of the world, but not in the UK. November is without a doubt the most depressing month of the year.

Well let's hope that the Glosea and EC seasonal are proven correct and we get a nice cool but dryish autumn followed by a blocked, cold winter!

• Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

How anyone can prefer autumn to summer is beyond me...some trees are turning slightly but most are still green. It may feel different to summer but it doesn't feel autumnal in the way the air feels- no crispness to it at all which is what most associate with autumn.

Edited by Scorcher
  • Like 1

Posted

Fingers crossed! It would be good for flood-hit areas too because the last thing they need is another moist Atlantic conveyor belt sending copious amounts of rain their way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Well let's hope that the Glosea and EC seasonal are proven correct and we get a nice cool but dryish autumn followed by a blocked, cold winter!

Yes, we're certainly due a more blocked winter. Recent winters have been completely dominated by conveyor belts of Atlantic storms, leading to serious flooding and other damage. Not something I'd like to see this year. Some anti-cyclonic influence would be nice.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!
3 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Well, I'm certainly not going to suggest that we won't be getting another dose of 'relative' heat sometime in October...October 1978 had a lovely spell of 25C-days, sometime around mid-month...

And, as they like to say: the rest was history!:yahoo:

Yes, I think I mentioned Autumn 1978 and the warm dry weather that accompanied my school -trip to Hadrian's Wall that autumn. I was nine years old at the time. The winter following was one of the coldest and by far the snowiest where I live. We were cut off from the outside world for days at a time. 

However, that does not mean that we will have a cold winter this year. The extents of Arctic sea-ice are not a patch on what they were in the 1970s and seasonal sea-surface temperatures in the North Atlantic and towards the Arctic are roughly 3C warmer over most of these areas than they were at a similar time of year in 1978. That makes a big difference! 

Posted
11 minutes ago, cheese said:

29C here with sunshine all day. More cloud now, but just Ac so the sun is still shining hazily.

Very still - almost no wind, which makes it feel warmer. 

Manchester will be warmer tomorrow for sure, high 20s there. We might even get low cloud because the wind is due to go N/NEly tonight - one of those small subtle changes that were only picked up on last minute, that can have drastic results on the weather.

I just feel today was the chance to get something above 27C which seems to be very hard to exceed here after August (2011 was the exception of course), whereas tomorrow the heat source isn't quite as good- it still could be a fantastic day but we probably won't get near 30C now. Just bad luck again given how on a knife edge it has been today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 minute ago, Scorcher said:

How anyone can prefer autumn to summer is beyond me...some trees are turning slightly but most are still green. It may feel different to summer but it doesn't feel autumnal in the way the air feels- no crispness to it at all which is what most associate with autumn.

Autumn wins hands down in my opinion IF the weather behaves,feels fresher and less oppressive than the summer months. What we have now is just a season dragging its heals to leave,sooner we get into the proper autumn feel the better. Alas this will probably me Atlantic conveyor gets going,last thing which has been said already that flood prone areas need.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Everything still very green here, little sign of Autumn with any turning leaves more drought-induced than anything. Saying that, early yesterday morning had that certain Autumnal 'scent' to the air.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

I would have thought that after so many years on the forum, you'd realise that everyone has their own personal preferences when it comes to the weather?

It's partly what makes the forum so interesting and diverse :good:

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 4

Posted
Just now, stainesbloke said:

Everything still very green here, little sign of Autumn with any turning leaves more drought-induced than anything. Saying that, early yesterday morning had that certain Autumnal 'scent' to the air.

Funnily enough though when I was down in London a couple of weekends ago I noticed a lot more signs of autumn than up here in the leaves- as you say I think that's due to drought stress more than temperature.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, iapennell said:

Yes, I think I mentioned Autumn 1978 and the warm dry weather that accompanied my school -trip to Hadrian's Wall that autumn. I was nine years old at the time. The winter following was one of the coldest and by far the snowiest where I live. We were cut off from the outside world for days at a time. 

However, that does not mean that we will have a cold winter this year. The extents of Arctic sea-ice are not a patch on what they were in the 1970s and seasonal sea-surface temperatures in the North Atlantic and towards the Arctic are roughly 3C warmer over most of these areas than they were at a similar time of year in 1978. That makes a big difference! 

Wasnt autumn 2010 quite warm also.  Well september and October?   and we had a cold winter then.  but pointless trying to make comparisons. 

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

I would have thought that after so many years on the forum, you'd realise that everyone has their own personal preferences when it comes to the weather?

I get that people have preferences, it's more of a light-hearted bewilderment to be honest! As I don't know many people who actually do want to see the back of summer...especially given it's always underwhelming on the west side of the country compared to the east...we've not benefited from the sunny, dry conditions that they've had further south and east through August.

I'd be more than happy to welcome in autumn if we'd had an August like they've had in London!

Posted

Funnily enough though when I was down in London a couple of weekends ago I noticed a lot more signs of autumn than up here in the leaves- as you say I think that's due to drought stress more than temperature.

It's nothing to do with stress. It's the same time frame each year. You can set your watch by which trees start to turn first. 

We've not had a shortage of rain here and nor has it been overly hot.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

It's nothing to do with stress. It's the same time frame each year. You can set your watch by which trees start to turn first. 

We've not had a shortage of rain here and nor has it been overly hot.

You can't though...it is slightly different every year- in some duller summers I've seen the leaves start turning in early August, and in others there are hardly any signs into the first week in September. 

What you're saying is like saying you can set your watch by the leaves appearing in spring...despite the daylight increases being the same every year, you just can't!

• Like 1

Posted

You can't though...it is slightly different every year- in some duller summers I've seen the leaves start turning in early August, and in others there are hardly any signs into the first week in September. 

What you're saying is like saying you can set your watch by the leaves appearing in spring...despite the daylight increases being the same every year, you just can't!

No, I meant you can set your watch by which trees will start to turn first. It's the same every year without fail. They're definitely on the turn here though right now. I'd walk and take pics but can't be bothered :D