Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
1 hour ago, cheese said:

It will certainly be usable but pleasant isn't the word I'd use. Chilly, seems more appropriate. People are starting to wear coats now and talk of the heating coming on is increasing day by day.. it's the bloody wind, that strips the house of heat.

Probably a good idea to shut the windows mate....:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

People dont have their heating on yet?! My mum keeps it on all year round!!!! Although this weekend is central heating galore, already single figures tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, tcc said:

Probably a good idea to shut the windows mate....:D

Doesn't make a difference, this house gets cold quickly and is also exposed to winds from the west - my bedroom window is buffeted when it's very windy because it faces a large open field.

Edited by cheese

Posted

There is a thread somewhere about central heating/heat of houses etc. Every house is different, aspect, age are key factors.I'm very exposed here to the westerly wind, and its an old stone building, it loses heat rapidly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!

Well surprise surprise! Those dratted "Winds That Have To Blow To Stop The Earth Slowing Down" (in other words the Ferrel Westerlies, or just plain old English south-westerlies- which they tend to be) have increased in strength here in the North Pennines and have brought orographic cloud-cover. It was a chilly-ish 6C at 8.pm this evening, now its back above 7C. So no nice surprise crisp cold start to October for us......no surprises there!

Btw my mother and other Christian friends always pray against the frosts at this time of year so that the flowers in the garden can be preserved into November!!!

It would seem that the Good Lord always responds by bringing in the west winds and cloud-cover to prevent the crisp frosty nights that would otherwise bring nice colours on the trees!!

There! Rant over!! 

Posted

There is a good chance of at least a ground frost tomorrow night in sheltered spots of Cumbria Ian.. we shall see, light winds, clear skies and low uppers - ripe territory I would have thought and the westerlies are about to be attacked by the easterly/southeasterly though not a cold source at this time of year, so October will be starting off an a very un westerly like phase away from the far NW.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Light winds across parts of North Yorkshire meaning the temp is 4/5c in a few places already. If the rate of drop continues surely we won't be far off freezing in places by morning. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

There is a good chance of at least a ground frost tomorrow night in sheltered spots of Cumbria Ian.. we shall see, light winds, clear skies and low uppers - ripe territory I would have thought and the westerlies are about to be attacked by the easterly/southeasterly though not a cold source at this time of year, so October will be starting off an a very un westerly like phase away from the far NW.

@damianslaw, I would like to think so. However, at just over 400 metres above sea-level on a hillside in the North Pennines the west or SW winds can remain above 15 mph all night even if predicted to fall light in lowland valleys. If that situation unfolds with clear night skies minimum temperatures with us remain 2 to 3C warmer than the overnight lows reached in lowland valleys and that is despite the effect of altitude generally dictating that we should be 2 to 3C colder than the lowlands: If orographic cloud forms over the North Pennines with clear night skies remaining over surrounding lowlands at such times (not uncommon on autumn nights) the inversion effect by dawn is even sharper.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
7 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

When it does turn too cold for shorts, your gonna need an angle grinder to remove yours.:D

Got hairy little legs so bloods not got far to travel and its well insulated on its journey! :D..Normally into single figures before i succumb to the chill!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

5C this morning, still below 10C now. It feels very cold. :cold:

With a forecast high of 14C, today will be the coldest day in 4 months.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, cheese said:

5C this morning, still below 10C now. It feels very cold. :cold:

With a forecast high of 14C, today will be the coldest day in 4 months.

Would  call it nice and fresh,very cold...nah not anywhere near that,but that's just my opinion!:) It's just like when i say it's very hot,you'd think i'm a softie,total opposites!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Lovely and fresh this morning. Cool and clear. Happy to have more of this :)

• Like 3

Posted

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiRgYPc7LnPAhWKCcAKHWKAAGwQFggsMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.metoffice.gov.uk%2Fclimate%2Fuk%2Fsummaries&usg=AFQjCNFV0kOkq00PiP0I7dBz--C5FCe7EA

Met Office provisional summary for September 2016. Interesting in that I predicted a drier and warmer than usual September for England and Wales as a whole but wetter in Scotland with near normal temperatures. As it turns out Scotland was (on the whole) a bit drier than usual with above average temperatures though (as in my prediction) temperature anomalies there were lower than further south. England on the whole drier and rather warmer than usual in spite of some big thunderstorms during the month.

Wales and Northern Ireland a little wetter than usual in September- suggestive of a more east-west split rather than north-south as regards precipitation.

Some mixed successes!

Posted

What a usable day it's been,no rain,gentle breeze,fresh 12c, perfect gardening weather! Hopefully this is a sign of things to come,find it hard think of a better setup really and a good nights cool sleep awaits,perfect!:)

• Like 2

Posted

I haven't put my heating on yet, but been out all day helping out on a stall it's been very windy and very fresh - the rain has enhanced it. Nice to have a normal October day - even if this will warm up - however, I can live with 15-19c in the day time at this time of year. 

I see shades of 2012/3 here - cool October, very wet and cool November, mildish December and a bitter long winter after. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

High of 14C today, although the temp was still in single figures around 1pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Just strolled to the shop to get a few bevvies, feels very Octoberish out there, love it :D

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Today has been a lovely Autumns day, had our coldest temp of the season this morning at 5.2c. Headed to Scarborough early this afternoon where it was beautifully sunny but very chilly in the wind! We then went for a walk in the North York Moors to Mallyan Spout for the first time near Goathland (Heartbeat village) which is a hidden gem :D

14556064_10157615998110245_1649162241_n.14527394_10157615997625245_613464865_n.j14543600_10157615993795245_1414069532_n.14543587_10157615992350245_1399226630_n.14550826_10157615991265245_1813959870_o.14513807_10157615989875245_1550910485_o.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
28 minutes ago, cheese said:

Sh*tty day - cold, and wet in the afternoon. Pointless rubbish.

looks okay though from tomorrow, just hope rain from the east on friday stays away, but at worst 5 dry days on the bounce coming up, not bad

Posted
22 hours ago, damianslaw said:

@damianslaw, Guess what, it is late evening on 1st October and low cloud-cover is keeping temperatures about 7C. Winds were easterly today but have fallen light.

Barometer reading around 1010 mb- so probably not sufficient subsidence aloft to prevent the strato-cumulus cloud forming at night when there is uplift over higher ground in what is still quite moist air! I am certainly not holding my breath for frost any night soon, especially not with south-easterlies off still-quite-warm continental Europe due over coming days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Chilly start compared to late at 5C. Will have to check records but I think mid May was the last time it went that low here.