Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Just when it looked like a chilly seasonal end to oct -halloween was perhaps a good possibility ,the models start showing the possibility of yet another  very mild bloody end to oct. What is it with late oct in recent years. If it does happen i hope its not something that will last too long,lasting for much of nov and ruining yet another nov. Im probably overreacting,but just thinking of recent history. The last few novembers have been a borefest. 

Edited by sundog
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
25 minutes ago, sundog said:

Just when it looked like a chilly seasonal end to oct -halloween was perhaps a good possibility ,the models start showing the possibility of yet another  very mild bloody end to oct. What is it with late oct in recent years. If it does happen i hope its not something that will last too long,lasting for much of nov and ruining yet another nov. Im probably overreacting,but just thinking of recent history. The last few novembers have been a borefest. 

Panic not. Not only does FI start before then, there is no certainty on how long any mild interlude would last. It would certainly take quite a lot to get us to the position we were in at the start of November last year. Using 2009 as an example, the final week of October was very mild with 17-20C temperatures, only for the first week of November to bring a marked cool down with a lot of rain and temps of 8-12C. I do get the frustration, recent years have often seen a mild end to October, and it's almost becoming a modern recurrence like the mid-March settled spells, May thundery spells, early September settled spells etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of chopping and changing before then though given only a day or two ago the first week of November was forecast to get a northerly!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Nearly 6hrs in a room at a stable 34 to 35c and 98% humidity,then to come straight out to Autumn 10c is probably for certain the nearest i'll ever get to heaven!! :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
17 minutes ago, markyo said:

Nearly 6hrs in a room at a stable 34 to 35c and 98% humidity,then to come straight out to Autumn 10c is probably for certain the nearest i'll ever get to heaven!! :)

Where on earth do you work?!

Posted
9 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Where on earth do you work?!

Hospital and dentist decontamination rooms on their steam autoclaves,tad shall we say warm and sticky at times!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!

Isn't the North Sea a nuisance! We could have had some lovely clear frosty nights and crisp sunny autumn days with all these easterly airstreams over the last three October weeks were it not for the influence of the warm North Sea butting cloud-producing moisture and warmth into the air before it reached Britain.

It's OK: I'm not going to propose one of my grand geo-engineering solutions to fill the North Sea with the trillions of tonnes of earth and rock required to obliterate it!!!

I dunno, maybe I should :D!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
16 minutes ago, iapennell said:

Isn't the North Sea a nuisance! We could have had some lovely clear frosty nights and crisp sunny autumn days with all these easterly airstreams over the last three October weeks were it not for the influence of the warm North Sea butting cloud-producing moisture and warmth into the air before it reached Britain.

It's OK: I'm not going to propose one of my grand geo-engineering solutions to fill the North Sea with the trillions of tonnes of earth and rock required to obliterate it!!!

I dunno, maybe I should :D!!

Yes and no, Ian - it  can provide some fantastic thundersnow come November. 

• Like 1

Posted
18 hours ago, iapennell said:

For that we need the pattern of 57 years ago:

Continental influence from the S then SE. Then high-pressure centres over the UK. Even when it turned unsettled in the last 3rd it was a PW airstream which brought clear and crisp conditions:)

IMG_0660.PNG

IMG_0658.PNG

IMG_0659.PNG

IMG_0661.PNG

IMG_0662.PNG

Edited by Matthew Wilson

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!

South-westerlies back next week. Pity for all those poor souls (a good number of us) who were hoping for a frost out of these easterlies and all they got was low strato-cumulus forming on the hopeful? nights when the Scandinavian high extended ridges towards the UK; tantalisingly cloud would often form in the evening where I live and clear out about 9 am having thwarted another possible-cold night!!!! :angry: : There'll now be no chance from next week. Another naff autumn when one has to wait until November for an air frost.

Interestingly, I have done some calcuations of average extreme minima for October where I live near Nenthead (at over 400 metres up) in the North Pennines, covering the last few decades and these are the numbers.

1) October Extreme Minimum Average 1980's= -2.6C

2) October Extreme Minimum Average 1990's= -3.2C

3) October Extreme Minimum Average 2000's= -1.3C

4) October Extreme Minimum Average 2010's (so far)= -0.2C (will be 0.2C if, in October 2016, we don't get below the extreme minima so far this month of a pathetic 2C!!).

Global Warming sucks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
23 minutes ago, iapennell said:

South-westerlies back next week. Pity for all those poor souls (a good number of us) who were hoping for a frost out of these easterlies and all they got was low strato-cumulus forming on the hopeful? nights when the Scandinavian high extended ridges towards the UK; tantalisingly cloud would often form in the evening where I live and clear out about 9 am having thwarted another possible-cold night!!!! :angry: : There'll now be no chance from next week. Another naff autumn when one has to wait until November for an air frost.

Interestingly, I have done some calcuations of average extreme minima for October where I live near Nenthead (at over 400 metres up) in the North Pennines, covering the last few decades and these are the numbers.

1) October Extreme Minimum Average 1980's= -2.6C

2) October Extreme Minimum Average 1990's= -3.2C

3) October Extreme Minimum Average 2000's= -1.3C

4) October Extreme Minimum Average 2010's (so far)= -0.2C (will be 0.2C if, in October 2016, we don't get below the extreme minima so far this month of a pathetic 2C!!).

Global Warming sucks!

Naff Autumn????????.Cant see you getting many bites on that post pal!!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Second night in a row with a widespread frost here, third of the season so far.

I have to say that I've really enjoyed this month. After the freakish warmth of September I had low hopes but around here it's been cool and seemingly more sunny than not, and the changing colours seem more vivid this Autumn. I don't mind Atlantic storms but this weather is much more preferable and I don't know about all of you, but I find the cloudscapes formed by an easterly flow very different to those from the westerly. I'm not sure why that is, but I'd wager that the dryness of the flow plays a large part.

Posted

Proper Autumn colours this year,absolutely glorious display,way better than last 3 to 4 years at least. The most colourful season has really put a display on this year,no Atlantic crap to destroy it thankfully. As for the back end of Autumn it's till looking good. We could be looking at a winter for once,so long over due but time will tell,this time next month could be very interesting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

sigh, looks like my location in for a soaking on Monday, always Mondays that are wet, been happening a lot, then rest of week dry

Posted

Ground frost of 2.2c coldest oct night since wait for it last year,thought it was colder than that sigh.

Not any autumn gales yet at least,all those names prepared for the storms well if it was winter 2005-06 just 1.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Lovely Autumn walk this morning just under 3mile,8c fantastic colours,nature really showing off.So much fresher this time of year. Passed a couple in full puffy jackets,woolly hats,2 layers underneath at least,gave me a strange look,me in my t shirt and shorts....no idea why!:)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

ukmaxtemp.png

12Z brings warm 31st back, to-ing and fro-ing, 6Z chilly, 00Z like Spring, 12Z like Spring

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I must admit it's been quite a while since I last saw anyone in t-shirts and shorts unless they were running on a morning. Coats are definitely becoming the prevailing attire of choice, and woolen hats are making an appearance for the first time

I've pretty much consigned my summer clothing to the wardrobe probably until March or April next year. Jeans, shirts and light jackets all the way.

Edited by cheese