Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
2 hours ago, reef said:

Late-November into December 2010 was a fine example. The problem is that in such a situation it really is all or nothing here so close to the coast. Half-baked synoptics just wont deliver as 850hPa temps aren't low enough to overcome the high SSTs, which is probably why we haven't had any measurable lying snow for 3 years and 8 months now!

Really? is it normal to go so long without measurable snow where you live? I mean your not exactly in Penzance. Gone just over 6 and a half months with no measurable snow here. Had 5 inches one day in early March, we also had a covering in late April but was only about a cm so not really worthy of much mention compared with March. I have just looked at your elevation where you live & you are basically at sea level. So I would imagine being so close to the coast and so low down won't help for snow cover. Probably a different case 10-15 miles inland.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!
5 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

I've got a good feeling about October (I feel it in my vodka): if the Atlantic is dominated by warm remnants of hurricanes and if cold weather over Russia/Siberia leads to a substantial and persistent block, then winds from between SE and SW might dominate the month's weather, here in the UK? A markedly warm month might be on offer?

Ifs 2-1 Mights :D

@Ed Stone, You may well be right about warm southerlies and south-westerlies for much of October. Seasonal cooling over eastern Europe combined with unseasonally high sea-surface temperatures in the far North Atlantic, as we have at present, would favour this kind of set-up with deeper depressions moving NE over Iceland with high-pressure over Europe. This is something I predicted would happen for England and Wales in October in my (revised) Autumn 2016 forecast: Forecast models hint at such a development with high-pressure over Scandinavia by this time next week-

12_UKMet_H500_PSL_96_144.gif

Edited by iapennell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!

The Ferrel Westerlies are making a bee-line for Britain. Interesting that locations not so far north and south of the country miss them whilst these wretched "Winds That Have To Blow To Stop The Earth Slowing Down" make such a direct hit on this country to bring rain, cloud and crappy-mild temperatures (!!):

PPVE89.gif?31415

Might I mention that even here where I live in the North Pennines we still have midges getting in during the evenings because they just love muggy damp conditions, a cold night or two would kill them off! Bugs and blight also get over vegetables you might still have outside in your gardens, those of you who are gardeners will know about such things!

Of course, frost would kill flowers and vegetables still outside as well, but there is not the remotest chance of anything like that that would seriously curtail garden vegetables happening for the foreseeable future! Indeed, for some things (like parsnips) a little autumn frost actually improves their flavour. Sadly, no night frosts in the offing.

Perhaps the time has come for a Petition to raise funds to start a major tree-planting exercise across coastal western Scotland and western Ireland, then moving on to coastal western Canada so that there is some more serious frictional resistance in the path of surface Westerlies, thus removing westerly AAM from the atmosphere in such locations and diminishing the need for so persistent damp mild autumn and winter Westerlies elsewhere(!!!!!!!) Perhaps we might get nicer, crisper autumns again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Certainly feels autumnal out there today - squally rain first thing and now just chilly and windy. 

• Like 1

Posted

Really have enjoyed today's weather. Average temperature, low humidity and a strong polar westerly wind to blow away the cloud and cobwebs. Very healthy indeed. Reminds me of the W/NW incursions we had in the winter of 2014/15 but with being seasonably warmer of course:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Just now, Matthew Wilson said:

Really have enjoyed today's weather. Average temperature, low humidity and a strong polar westerly wind to blow away the cloud and cobwebs. Very healthy indeed. Reminds me of the W/NW incursions we had in the winter of 2014/15 but with being seasonably warmer of course:D

Indeed! A lovely fresh day to get some air into the house, great drying weather for washing too.

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Indeed! A lovely fresh day to get some air into the house, great drying weather for washing too.

Yes a complete contrast to yesterday. Wednesday we had 80% humidity outside and 62% inside with a muggy TM breeze. Whereas today we had 50% humidity outside and 43% inside with PM. It's that long since we had this type weather I forgot what it felt like:laugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

The wind is messing up my hair AGAIN. It did the same thing yesterday. CURSE THE WIND. It takes a long time to look this good so I don't appreciate the weather ruining things for me.

Edited by cheese

Posted
11 minutes ago, cheese said:

The wind is messing up my hair AGAIN. It did the same thing yesterday. CURSE THE WIND. It takes a long time to look this good so I don't appreciate the weather ruining things for me.

This is what frustrates me about these people on here that come on and hail the fresh PM air- it's almost invariably windy and gusty when we get an air mass like this one. And it's very raw and unpleasant to stand in it. If you can give me PM air that's still I can certainly tolerate it- problem is it doesn't happen all that often.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
16 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

This is what frustrates me about these people on here that come on and hail the fresh PM air- it's almost invariably windy and gusty when we get an air mass like this one. And it's very raw and unpleasant to stand in it. If you can give me PM air that's still I can certainly tolerate it- problem is it doesn't happen all that often.

"These people" - We like it, you don't, move on.

Posted
18 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

It's worse in the city centre with all of the wind tunnels.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Ironic you've pulled me up for expressing my opinion on it with a post like this- am I not allowed to say that to Cheese who shares similar views? There are so many people on here who constantly moan about humid air masses and consistently express how puzzling they find it that people enjoy them. I think I'm entitled to do the same.

I didn't actually say there was nothing advantageous about PM air- I did say that I don't mind it at all if it's not too windy.

Edited by Scorcher

Posted
2 minutes ago, cheese said:

It's worse in the city centre with all of the wind tunnels.

Yes, the issue we have with this sort of wind direction, particularly in the west is there is just no shelter- there is no high ground to our west or north west at all in Manchester. I woke up this morning to find plant pots all over the place in the garden. You can't stand still or sit outside for long in this weather unless you're well wrapped up- even though the air temperature is actually 16C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

scorch is on my ignore list, but agree with his recent post quoted by cheese, I don't want PM air at all any time of the year, worst airstream imaginable all year

Posted

looks good, but for my location it could scream cloud and 12°, as here struggles with sea mist

gfs-0-192.png?12

Posted
58 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

scorch is on my ignore list, but agree with his recent post quoted by cheese, I don't want PM air at all any time of the year, worst airstream imaginable all year

Each to their own but I have enjoyed it today.... my house enjoys it better too - this time yesterday it was 82% humidity indoors....not great in a house like this which is prone to damp - it just makes it a damn site worse. It's a perfect 50% today with the much drier cooler air mass, what a difference 24 hrs make!

Posted
3 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Each to their own but I have enjoyed it today.... my house enjoys it better too - this time yesterday it was 82% humidity indoors....not great in a house like this which is prone to damp - it just makes it a damn site worse. It's a perfect 50% today with the much drier cooler air mass, what a difference 24 hrs make!

you are in a better location, (although low elevation) for snow off a PM airstream in winter

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

you are in a better location, (although low elevation) for snow off a PM airstream in winter

Yes we do alright for snow in PM air. Not got the Welsh mountains blocking snow coming in & Irish sea can be snow making machine.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted

Got soaked walking home.. rain was horizontal. Yuck. 
Cleared up now. Feels like we have April showers in September.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

Agree,i love a PM air mass,it is fresher,so much cleaner than continental air,don't mind that little breeze that comes with it,thats all it is most of the time. Many do like it and look forward to its arrival.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
3 hours ago, cheese said:

You have no idea have you what you have just said,what a totally selfish statement!! If i had one follicle of hair long enough to be disturbed even by a ruddy hurricane i would be sooo happy! You are such a lucky chap!:)

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, markyo said:

You have no idea have you what you have just said,what a totally selfish statement!! If i had one follicle of hair long enough to be disturbed even by a ruddy hurricane i would be sooo happy! You are such a lucky chap!:)

I love my hair. If you want I can take some of my mine away from the rest of my body and donate it to you, I don't want it (well, not all of it!).

Edited by cheese