Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
On 15/09/2016 at 11:38, Gael_Force said:

Just returned from a weeks holiday in New York city and it was still very much Summer there with crystal blue skies and warmth (except for last Monday when it rained all day and the one morning when it was cloudy and a bit cool). Coming back here was such a contrast and feels like Autumn has finally arrived with cool temperatures, slate grey skies and rain. To think that yesterday morning I was sitting in Central Park in what would here be considered a perfect Summer's day. Even the trees here are now starting to show more Autumnal colours than they were there, with everything there still been lush and green. I'd love to go there in the Winter but I'd be afraid that if I did that I'd end up there on one of the rare occasions that it was very mild there and here there would be an epic cold and snowy spell. So that's why I'll never go on holiday in Winter even to somewhere that's more likely to be snowy. Not that you can beat snow at home anyway.

Posted

A cool day here under grey wet leaden skies, max of 12.5 degrees. Its felt very different to most days this month, tomorrow and Wednesday will see a return of the mild muggy stuff, much fresher again come Thursday-Saturday. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

We had a high of 13c and a low of 9c giving a daily mean of 11c which is the coldest so far this Autumn. Rained most of the day but only 2mm fell. 

If GFS stays as it is we could see the first air/ground frost since August in places on Saturday morning.IMG_7391.GIF

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
9 hours ago, vizzy2004 said:

We had a high of 13c and a low of 9c giving a daily mean of 11c which is the coldest so far this Autumn. Rained most of the day but only 2mm fell. 

If GFS stays as it is we could see the first air/ground frost since August in places on Saturday morning.IMG_7391.GIF

Colder still on the EC, down to 4-5c even in southern England. Lovely stuff.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Vile couple of days here, where's the sun gone? Hopefully not the start of 6 months of gloom and wind. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Really loving the cooler temps,Autumn is starting to kick in quite well,bit of variation due to my travelling,makes driving so much better without the heat of summer.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Lovely sunset here tonight.

20160927_190653.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

not falling for it this time, trend this summer for nice Tuesdays, but somehow think it won't be, but suppose I am the Atlantic air (sept to mar) believer

ECM1-168.GIF?27-0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
8 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

not falling for it this time, trend this summer for nice Tuesdays, but somehow think it won't be, but suppose I am the Atlantic air (sept to mar) believer

ECM1-168.GIF?27-0

First bit of cool air (and attendent lower DPs etc) being dragged around the flank of the Scandi high there towards E Europe. Lovely stuff.

• Like 1

Posted

Much warmer today,most unwelcome to say the least,thankfully gone by tomorrow. Looking much better for the weekend.

• Like 1

Posted

Fantastic tropical maritime airmass today- love the feel of it. Not a hint of a chill in the air this afternoon. Much better- we won't be able to get anything like this in a few weeks time.

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Fantastic tropical maritime airmass today- love the feel of it. Not a hint of a chill in the air this afternoon. Much better- we won't be able to get anything like this in a few weeks time.

Thankfully!:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
24 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Feeling pleasantly warm but shame about the sodding cloud, yet again. Grey grey grey after a beautiful start.

Posted

Strongly dislike this type of weather around this time of year,feels totally out of place in my opinion as would a cold sleety day in April,pointless and unpleasant.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I've got a good feeling about October (I feel it in my vodka): if the Atlantic is dominated by warm remnants of hurricanes and if cold weather over Russia/Siberia leads to a substantial and persistent block, then winds from between SE and SW might dominate the month's weather, here in the UK? A markedly warm month might be on offer?

Ifs 2-1 Mights :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

17C and feeling very muggy today, not the best when its pouring either.

Posted
32 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Feeling pleasantly warm but shame about the sodding cloud, yet again. Grey grey grey after a beautiful start.

Thing is it's the air mass, we are importing tropical air from a long way south in the Atlantic- at this time of year there is always going to be a lot of cloud associated with such an air mass. We have had a bit of sunshine here today- probably as good as you could expect in this setup.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Meanwhile in FI, signs of an Easterly developing. Not sure if its desperately cold but there's a fair amount of blocking around to the North and East of us. :D

gfsnh-0-384.png?6

Bearing in mind this is T384, although it fits with the Express headlines with 'COLD AND SNOW REACHING THE UK IN JUST WEEKS' :yahoo:

Edited by Ross Andrew Hemphill
awful typing!!
  • Like 2

Posted

I'd be amazed if we got any early snow this year. Everywhere is just so warm still and there's barely any sub -10C 850hPa around in the Arctic circle even (and pretty much no -15C 850hPa air). There's also the issue of SSTs to our north and east, they are much higher than average, so even if we got a cold airflow then there's moderation of the cold to be concerned with.

Apart from the light and sunshine levels, this September has felt decidedly summer-like. It's felt that the seasons are somewhat delayed (or absent in the case of winter!) for some time now. We're at the point in the year where the average max and min are 16C and 9C here, yet no day has got even close - even those with airmasses which should give those temps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
7 minutes ago, reef said:

I'd be amazed if we got any early snow this year. Everywhere is just so warm still and there's barely any sub -10C 850hPa around in the Arctic circle even (and pretty much no -15C 850hPa air). There's also the issue of SSTs to our north and east, they are much higher than average, so even if we got a cold airflow then there's moderation of the cold to be concerned with.

Apart from the light and sunshine levels, this September has felt decidedly summer-like. It's felt that the seasons are somewhat delayed (or absent in the case of winter!) for some time now. We're at the point in the year where the average max and min are 16C and 9C here, yet no day has got even close - even those with airmasses which should give those temps.

The one advantage of high SSTs is that if we get a properly cold east/northeasterly then the sea could be a snow machine early season.

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, Nick L said:

The one advantage of high SSTs is that if we get a properly cold east/northeasterly then the sea could be a snow machine early season.

Late-November into December 2010 was a fine example. The problem is that in such a situation it really is all or nothing here so close to the coast. Half-baked synoptics just wont deliver as 850hPa temps aren't low enough to overcome the high SSTs, which is probably why we haven't had any measurable lying snow for 3 years and 8 months now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

23C today, very nice. Bit breezy though. Not oppressive at all - didn't even realise it was as warm as it was until I got home and checked the temperature!

Saturday looks atrocious, highs of 13C forecast! No point in that - serves no purpose, and below average even for October.

The highest max temp, and the lowest min temp this September will be higher than June.. and the month as a whole will be comfortably warmer. June felt more autumnal than September this year, day length aside.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1