Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Cracking moon out there tonight here! Huge and very orange. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

Lovely day

thought you would be away from the eastern cloud, grim at times here, very unsettled looking E/SE, got a SE facing camera? would look ugly maybe

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Have just seen this on my Facebook timeline from back in April

2cat_20160401_mslp_months35_global_deter

I would say the Glosea was pretty accurate at 2-3 months out with general trend of higher pressure S & SE and lower pressure towards the NW

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Beautiful Autumn morning,clear sky,gorgeous sunrise,lovely 9c,perfect. Not hot or cold,what more could you ask for!:) 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty and fresh

Went for a lovely walk yesterday evening between 18:30 - 20:00, better than staying in and watching the tat on TV.

This morning awoke to stunning blue sky and bright sunlight temp just hovering at 9deg will take as many days like this as I can get.

Much prefer the light levels at this time of year due to the lower angle of the sun.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Certainly has had an Autumn feel to it since Friday be it the low sun angle, the chily wind, the dew today.

Shap was at 7C when i went to bed too, wonder what the lowest minima was somewhere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
On 25/08/2016 at 16:51, Summer Sun said:

The September forecast is already looking wrong considering we're 3.3/2.7c above average

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Nice inversion just now over the Derwent Valley. Temp here 11c

20160918_094840_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, moorlander said:

Went for a lovely walk yesterday evening between 18:30 - 20:00, better than staying in and watching the tat on TV.

This morning awoke to stunning blue sky and bright sunlight temp just hovering at 9deg will take as many days like this as I can get.

Much prefer the light levels at this time of year due to the lower angle of the sun.

Agree with light levels,really makes a difference,so much nicer having that lower sun angle,much more pleasant. Love to  take more days like this,so much better than last week!  9c is so much better for that sunday walk,lot fresher. 

• Like 1

Posted
18 hours ago, iapennell said:

This has been caused by the progressively northwards position of sub-arctic depressions as the margins of Arctic pack-ice retreat polewards and the northern seas warm to give more fuel to the depressions. Winter blocking-patterns in high latitudes are rarer than they once were (which is not to say this does not happen, as months like December 2010 and March 2013 attest, but mild rainy south-westerlies in late autumn and winter are more persistent).

Lets hope this coming Grand Solar Minimum kicks off soon, because global cooling bringing about an increase in Arctic ice-extent is the only real hope for a return of the crisp frosty autumns and freezing snowy winters some of us grew up with!  

I wonder if our ancestors were saying the very same thing during the MWP and RWP Ian. I'm not convinced we're seeing anything out of the ordinary in terms of climatology but like you I long for a return for a more seasonal Autumn/Winters,.

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Have just seen this on my Facebook timeline from back in April

2cat_20160401_mslp_months35_global_deter

I would say the Glosea was pretty accurate at 2-3 months out with general trend of higher pressure S & SE and lower pressure towards the NW

It's an excellent long range forecasting tool, not infallible yes but it will be interesting to see how it fares this coming winter now it's showing a colder start to the winter. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I know a lot of people have rejoiced the fact that cooler air has moved in, but to put things in perspective down here in the south east and East Anglia the sun hasn't shone at all since that cold front has moved through with outbreaks of rain or persistent low cloud, even in inland areas. I was at Hampton court yesterday and the day consisted of uniform flat grey skies for the whole day. Very poor and I hope either for a warm up or for a better push of westerlies to at least get some sunshine back as the slow moving pattern with low heights to our south east is pretty grotty for this part of the world.

Hooray the sun is out now.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
5 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Certainly has had an Autumn feel to it since Friday be it the low sun angle, the chily wind, the dew today.

Shap was at 7C when i went to bed too, wonder what the lowest minima was somewhere.

A few unofficial weather stations in the North York Moors were at 3/4c this morning. Not sure about the coldest official station, Shaps temperature for some reason rose as the night went on, the coldest I can find is Topcliffe at 5.4c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
5 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

The September forecast is already looking wrong considering we're 3.3/2.7c above average

Lets hope they got it back to front..

Posted

First Snowfall of the season atop Ben.

Screenshot_2016-09-18-15-41-58.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Few pics from this morning where there was a stunning inversion with mist forming in the valleys. 10c across the tops and 6c lower down. 

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Beautiful day - 21C with glorious blue skies. 

Actually close to a typical July or August day in terms of temperature.

Shame it's downhill from tomorrow.

Funny though, that the lowest temp this month was only 9C - while our lowest temp in June was 6C. We haven't come anywhere near that here yet. June was more of an autumn month than September currently is.. lol.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted

What a fantastic day,18c,gentle breeze,clear blue sky,perfect September day. I'm sure nobody in my area could complain!! Gone is that awful weather of last week,so much more Autumn like,looking cloudy next week which is a disappointment but apart from that not to bad at all:)

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, vizzy2004 said:

A few unofficial weather stations in the North York Moors were at 3/4c this morning. Not sure about the coldest official station, Shaps temperature for some reason rose as the night went on, the coldest I can find is Topcliffe at 5.4c.

3C at Arboyne according to Wx Online and 1C there on the ground

• Like 1

Posted

It dropped to 6.2c here this morning.