Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

3rd day in a row where 30c has been reached and exceeded.

First time this has happened in September in 85yrs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
21 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

3rd day in a row where 30c has been reached and exceeded.

First time this has happened in September in 85yrs.

Gravesend again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Tomorrow is looking so much better,really looking forward to seeing the backend of this awful humid weather go,so tired of it,can't wait for the Autumn freshness to roll in,not a minute to soon. No idea how anybody could wish this to hang around,sorry.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

By far the most uncomfortable evening of the year, so close and muggy. Hurry up cold front!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Nick L said:

By far the most uncomfortable evening of the year, so close and muggy. Hurry up cold front!

I'm glad I'm not the only one: sweat, sweat, sweat, sweat!:angry:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
12 minutes ago, Nick L said:

ugh god no, tomorrow looks potentially awful - rain rain rain.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, cheese said:

Followed by fresh, fresh, fresh :D

• Like 7

Posted
4 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Followed by fresh, fresh, fresh :D

Not worth it if it's cloudy, cloudy, cloudy!! 

If it's cloud all the time I'm going to be seriously annoyed. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
11 minutes ago, cheese said:

yes, does look wet here tomorrow, would like weather of last 4 days!

Posted
10 hours ago, Gael_Force said:

Obviously you have not read the more recent research on the warm arctic leading to cold winters at mid latitudes or you wouldn't be making the quoted statement. It is not about the arctic being ice free in winter but about the changes to atmosphere patterns the lack of ice in autumn causes.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/geography/phd/projects/warmarctic

A brief summary but lots of research papers about the subject.

Hi Gael_Force. For some reason your quote from iappennel has appeared as a quote from me. I'm sure you know you have quoted him and not me though. Probably just because you quoted him from my post which had his post quoted in it (all a bit confusing I know), in which I asked whether he had any reason or not to have any faith in the September Glosea update, posted on here by CreweCold, which shows a blocked Winter pattern. He hasn't as yet answered, though I take it from his insistence that the odds are stacked against a cold Winter 2016/17 that he doesn't (not yet at least anyway). 

Though I do find the report you linked to interesting. There does seem to be contradictory speculation though on what a warmer Arctic means for our future Winter climate. Though as you say iappennell is basing his opinions on 13 year old research though, when other alternative opinions have since come forward. So who knows in all honestly. Though I do think the opinion of a warmer Arctic causing colder mid latitude Winters has come about mostly as an attempt to explain some of the colder Winters which have occurred in the populous regions of the mid latitudes since the late 00s, both here and in eastern North America.

As for what I think may happen (which has no scientific basis, so to be taken with a pinch of salt) is that due to relatively recent periods in the past when we have had 3 mild to very mild Winters in the past following a cold one, we have ended up with another colder or quite cold Winter following them. This happened after the cold Winter of 1986/87, which was followed by 3 very mild Winters, which in turn were followed by the cold Winter of 1990/91. Again a decade later we had the coldish Winter of 1996/97 which again was followed by 3 consecutive mild Winters which were followed by the coldish Winter of 2000/01. And being as Winter 2012/13 was a cold one which was also immediately followed by a very cold Spring and the 3 Winters which have so far succeeded it have been mild to very mild, maybe just maybe we'll get another cold one now at last. Then again what happened back then was probably nothing more than a coincidence and we'll end up with a fourth or more mild Winter this time. Though it's something which is giving me just a little hope and comfort at least. :D

• Like 3

Posted

Gravesend is a law to itself, I'm surprised temps there can be 2 degrees warmer than anywhere else.. what is it with the place? 

Back to the hear and now, today marks the end of the recent hot weather. Have to say it feels very continental at the moment, like it does on a summer evening in the Med - all thanks to the dark skies, quite strange for mid September. 

Generally benign autumnal conditions for the foreseeable, gosh I find September a mind numbling dull month..

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Gravesend is a law to itself, I'm surprised temps there can be 2 degrees warmer than anywhere else.. what is it with the place? 

Back to the hear and now, today marks the end of the recent hot weather. Have to say it feels very continental at the moment, like it does on a summer evening in the Med - all thanks to the dark skies, quite strange for mid September. 

Generally benign autumnal conditions for the foreseeable, gosh I find September a mind numbling dull month..

Bring on some crashing Atlantic storms.

• Like 1

Posted

Yeah, screw you September, I want spending time outside to be as dark and annoying as possible. :nea:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
51 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

You must live in a little biome of your own - so far this month I've had a potent squall, some good sunny days, summer heat, morning fog and a thunderstorm. Hardly mind-numbingly dull...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

After Tuesday 27th September if you don't mind .. anything can happen after that in my book.

Because we're off with The Van next Fri (23rd) to our very last music fest of the season next weekend (Forest of Dean -- tiny festival, more like a large party really)

So because of that, I'm literally desparate that we're able to squeeze just ONE more summerlike weekend out -- that surrounding Saturday 24th Sept. We've been at home for the last three weekends, and here in Swansea has been too far West for most of the heat and sunshine that my brother in Cambridge, and others elsewhere in the S and SE,  have recently been having.

Albeit in midweek mostly!

It would be nice now if the best (or at least driest!) weather next week coincides with the actual weekend for once ....

Some early signs looking OKish (?) for avoiding LP domination in the South anyway, next week and hopefully up to/including next weekend,

But prior to my retirement** I want one last weekend of nice, pleasant, dry, sunny, not too cold conditions. However boring! In fact boring is fine IMO -- sod 'exciting' thunderstorms, I want DRY/SETTLED!

(**Retirement from Netweather forums I mean -- I tend to avoid this site over the October to April period bar the basic home page forecasts. I'm the opposite of all you winter obsessives -- only summer interests me!)

Edited by William of Walworth
Typos and whatnot. Plus adding stuff.

Posted
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

Nooo!!! The wind messes up my hair.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
4 hours ago, cheese said:

Nooo!!! The wind messes up my hair.

Wish i had hair for the wind to mess up!

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

And being as Winter 2012/13 was a cold one which was also immediately followed by a very cold Spring and the 3 Winters which have so far succeeded it have been mild to very mild, maybe just maybe we'll get another cold one now at last. Then again what happened back then was probably nothing more than a coincidence and we'll end up with a fourth or more mild Winter this time. Though it's something which is giving me just a little hope and comfort at least. :D

I agree 2013/14 and 15/16 was mild if not very mild in the latter but I thought 14/15 was average temperature wise with many NW incursions. A sunny winter with milder spells balanced out by colder incursions. Winter 16/17 could of course still be cold and long range models hinting at a more anti-cyclonic winter maybe.

Edited by Matthew Wilson
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
8 hours ago, Nick L said:

no way! bloody 'ell, worst weather imaginable

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!

@Gael_Force, This article about the results of an Aqua-Planet model of global wind-patterns is interesting :

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/JCLI3766.1#

Global cooling results in an equatorwards shift in the Westerlies, they do not become stronger and indeed some of the results discussed in the paper mentioned refer to a weakening of the Westerlies. Meanwhile easterlies become more extensive /stronger with global cooling and there is fairly unanimous agreement in the cooling simulations covered that this is the case.

The converse situation with a modest global warming results in the Westerlies extending polewards and becoming stronger and more extensive. This is not conducive to crisp frosty weather in autumn nor severe cold in winter. It is not to say that there won't be some cold spells in winter but it is clear that,  on balance we can expect plenty of wind, rain and mild temperatures in winters to come (based on global warming continuing). Observation of the autumn and winter months over the last 30 years overall generally agree.

• Like 1

Posted

3 uncomfortably warm nights and I'm utterly shattered.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Much fresher now here Nick, Hopefully that's the last of it for this year.

• Like 1