Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Max here is 23 deg,not helped as it was mainly cloudy from early afternoon but just down the road in Doncaster it was 9 degrees hotter at 32 deg !! Having said that it was posted by John who is a stonesthrow from Bawtry where the September record is held.

Edited by hillbilly

Posted
1 hour ago, Scorcher said:

They are also pretty brown in Barcelona too- I was there last weekend. Clearly related to drought stress. The sun is still strong and high there and they still consider it very much summer.

So stressed here the greengage has lost most of its leaves! The Pampas grass is loving it though - shame it will be battered to bits in an hour or so. The green lines in the grass are the waste water soakaways to the ponds.

20160913_184350-1.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I queried that reading earlier and got shot down with a 'witty reply'. It was only a legitimate question, as all the data we can see doesn't suggest anything close to 34.4c there? Have they got a second secret observation station tucked away that no one knows about ??! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
8 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Max here is 23 deg,not helped as it was mainly cloudy from early afternoon but just down the road in Doncaster it was 9 degrees hotter at 32 deg !! Having said that it was posted by John who is a stonesthrow from Bawtry where the September record is held.

29C in Leeds.

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
19 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

The Gravesend station has come under scrutiny many times in the past. It does seem a bit suspicious?!

Could it be an airflow off the 'London  heat island' issue.Temps at the time in the capital were 33c, so an advantage taken here in Gravesend again due to all that urban heat?

Posted

I guess we'll need to see a much higher resolution plot of temperature perhaps with wind speed/direction and solar radiation to know for sure.

I wonder if it's possible that Gravesend was near the boundary of slightly cooler air from the estuary (I notice a general light E/ENE wind in hourly observations), and either the slightly cooler incursions of that happened to be more present at the hourly observations, or it was present most of the time but at some point the wind briefly changed to allow an incursion of hotter air from inland over the site producing a temperature 'spike'.

Just speculation and probably not the answer as it does possibly look a little odd given no other 34's that we know of, but I have experienced such phenomena here a few miles from the coast on occasion (I also remember watching Weybourne alternating between low 20's and high 20's with a wind varying between something like SE and E (slightly onshore and slightly onshore) a couple years ago!).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
3 hours ago, MP-R said:

It's as much to do with stress as what trees change earlier than others. If trees do not get enough water - the leaves will go brown regardless, ergo, London has had less rain than many places further north hence more brown trees. That's just simple science.

Such was the case when I was living in Madrid. Trees were browning in August!

If they were horse chestnuts then they always start to change in August/September down here due to a mix of drought stress and disease.  This summer actually had slightly above average rainfall, but the vast majority of it was in June.

London is still usually green well into October, and peak colour is usually not until early November (planes usually still have some green leaves on Remembrance Day).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Thankfully i got a reward for the total misery of today's temps,it went pop with a lovely bang,makes the day soo much better with storms like that,brings out the child in one! Lucky chap i feel:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

I'm pleased to report that the autumn colours are coming along at a fair ole pace here in North East Wales, as you can see from this picture that I took last night :D
... But even I'm shocked at how warm and sticky this September is turning out!! Hottest September day since 1911 today!! ... I wonder if this autumn will turn into a sort of repeat of autumn 1911? I know what the models are showing, but this is Mother Nature that we're dealing with here. Lol :unknw:

Edit: I've just noticed some of the posts about trees changing colour... I posted this before I had a read back through the tread... Please don't accuse me trolling :friends: 

Autumn leaves.jpg

Thank you for this post!!!! People just wouldn't believe me when I said the trees were changing!

Obviously a different story down south than to here.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Thank you for this post!!!! People just wouldn't believe me when I said the trees were changing!

I didn't say none of the trees were changing if you were referring to me...nobody said that that I can recall. I think we can agree that some are changing colour while others remain totally green.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

You guys are quite right...To function properly trees need three things, simultaneously: sufficient water, high enough (though not too high) temperature and enough hours of sunlight...With the present excess heat, reduced water supply and decreasing sunlight, it might not be worth supporting all those leaves?

In 1995, the birches were shedding leaves in late July.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Scorcher said:

I didn't say none of the trees were changing if you were referring to me...nobody said that that I can recall. I think we can agree that some are changing colour while others remain totally green.

We're saying the same thing then?

I said that some trees were turning and got met with 'it must be heat stress' 'it must be drought'. Maybe that is true down south but not here.

Posted

We reached 27.7C here in the end, beating the old record set in 1999 by 0.7C. Today was with an onshore easterly breeze aswell, so its very notable for this this area.

That means this September we've beat the all time high minima by 1.0C and high maxima by 0.7C in two separate warm periods! Rather unusual as they've been standing for 32 and 17 years respectively.

Edited by reef
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Man With Beard said:

Out of all the warm evenings recently, this must be the warmest. Like a heat bath out there.

Wish it was here, all the heavy rain from the storm has left it surprisingly fresh feeling...I feel robbed of a precious warm evening!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Out of all the warm evenings recently, this must be the warmest. Like a heat bath out there.

That what I was thinking, MWB...The NW homepage says it's 19C just now?? Somehow that feels a tad wrong: everywhere-else around here is still above 25!:cc_confused:

Posted

All this very warm dry sunny weather is good news for storing extra sugar in the leaves - all we need now is a sharp frost to bring out the colour in them... but far too early for that it seems!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I'm surprised that such little fuss is being kicked up about the alleged 34.4C at Gravesend today. The hourly temperature readings for Gravesend on the Met Office website show nothing above 32.0C, surely it's got to be pretty bloody difficult to spike to 34.4C and sink back down again within an hour?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/u10k8kx5v

Perhaps it is possible but until the Met Office release more detailed readings (rather than just hourly ones) then I'm going to remain sceptical.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

What a disappointment - lunchtime on a temperature display in Liverpool around  1pm:18C.  Where was all this heat we were promised?  Cloudy and chilly with thunder during the afternoon.  Hopefully we'll see something more respectable during the next couple of days.

Posted
28 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

I'm surprised that such little fuss is being kicked up about the alleged 34.4C at Gravesend today. The hourly temperature readings for Gravesend on the Met Office website show nothing above 32.0C, surely it's got to be pretty bloody difficult to spike to 34.4C and sink back down again within an hour?

Perhaps it is possible but until the Met Office release more detailed readings (rather than just hourly ones) then I'm going to remain sceptical.

It's a big spike to occur within a 60 minute interval for sure. We really need a half hourly or even minute by minute obs to work this one out. Somewhere at the Met Office must have this data otherwise they wouldn't have recorded it hitting 34.4. Could there have been a brief change in wind direction or a convective downdraft/updraft nearby that caused a sudden rush of warmer air accross the site? From the hourly obs there was a change in wind direction between 4pm and 5pm which did cause a 0.6 increase in temperature but the Twitter statement was released before 4pm wasn't it?

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Relativistic said:

Yep, it does sound pretty suspect. I'm surprised the MetOffice are using the figure given the spurious nature of that temp in its context of hourly recordings.

Personally I would have discounted it as an anomaly.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
23 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Yep, it does sound pretty suspect. I'm surprised the MetOffice are using the figure given the spurious nature of that temp in its context of hourly recordings.

Personally I would have discounted it as an anomaly.

I don't think an organisation such as the Met Office would go public with a reading like that unless they were 100% certain! This especially given the interest in the current heatwave.

We are not talking the Daily express here people, it's the Met Office.

It does seem odd, but not without precident,and a few on here have given some smart reasons as to how this could of occurred. 

Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

I don't think an organisation such as the Met Office would go public with a reading like that unless they were 100% certain! This especially given the interest in the current heatwave.

We are not talking the Daily express here people, it's the Met Office.

It does seem odd, but not without precisely, and a few on here have given some smart reasons as to how this could of occurred. 

Just one look at the hourly obs would suggest there is no possibility of a 2.4C temp spike occurring within a given hourly timeframe. 

I'm sorry, I don't buy it for one second.

Also, who knows, the MetOffice may yet even retract the statement after review.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted
23 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Just one look at the hourly obs would suggest there is no possibility of a 2.4C temp spike occurring within a given hourly timeframe. 

I'm sorry, I don't buy it for one second.

Also, who knows, the MetOffice may yet even retract the statement after review.

Perhaps the public don't receive the data from the recording site that reached 34.4c...just a thought, I know of a place on Sussex that has two M.O data sites within 2 miles of each other ( or did up until 2006)