Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Yes temp fell to 8c last night here in the valley. A few places in the Moors and Dales reached 5c early this morning with lots of fog/mist patches around. Autumn is coming :) 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

...and here we are...

starting to slightly notice the very subtle change in light levels now and getting my first "autumn/winter" prangs right on schedule.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

No idea why people are so eager for autumn to arrive.. just don't get it. We are only halfway through August. As hard as it may be for people to believe we are still in the warmest part of the year.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
11 minutes ago, cheese said:

No idea why people are so eager for autumn to arrive.. just don't get it. We are only halfway through August. As hard as it may be for people to believe we are still in the warmest part of the year.

And one of the summer months had sunshine levels than would be considered poor in December!

We get 3-4 months of summery weather in this country, and we've probably got another month left. There's plenty of time in the year for the people who enjoy cool weather, most of Nov-Mar.

Edited by B87

Posted

Yup, with any luck September will be warm and sunny and autumnal weather will be delayed for as long as possible. Hopefully some nice 20C+ days in October! As you say, there will no doubt be many months of cool/crap weather for people who like that sort of thing.

Maybe we will see 30C again in October like we did 5 years ago.. time flies.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
6 minutes ago, cheese said:

Yup, with any luck September will be warm and sunny and autumnal weather will be delayed for as long as possible. Hopefully some nice 20C+ days in October! As you say, there will no doubt be many months of cool/crap weather for people who like that sort of thing.

We usually get a few 20c days in October, even early November we usually see a couple of days of 17-18c. After the first week of November, there is little to no chance of any warm/mild conditions until mid- Feb at the earliest, but usually we won't see 18c again until mid-March.

Edited by B87

9 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Temps in the countryside were down to 6c last night !! Dew on my car at 5:45 and beautiful mist pockets in the low-lying fields on my way to work.

We're nearly there folks

Yes nights are definately getting cooler now, models were once showing toasty nighttime temps for mid week and widespread maxs early 30's C, downgraded to just your bog standard mid August warm spell, thats it now i feel for 30C+ outside the SE, here's to a cool Autumn and cold Winter, cold is so much easier to deal with even for those who don't like it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

As much as I like cool fresh conditions in autumn, I have also been enjoying the frequency of being able to have dinner outside and sit with a coffee at 9pm+ without feeling cold, so whether anticyclonic or plume-type, I hope this can last a bit longer into September. Come mid-September my mind switches to the onset of more autumnal weather but given the erratic performance of this summer, autumn proper can wait a little bit longer in my opinion.

Having missed most of autumn 2012 living in Spain, and hearing people's views on it, I'd like to experience one like it - it sounds like it had a nice mix of Atlantic storms, convective rPm and Pm weather, and more settled conditions and frost. My last few days in the UK before I moved to Spain in September 2012 comprised Child of Nadine which brought over 100mm of rain across 36 hours here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

This morning we we once again treated to once of those beautiful cool, sunny and misty mornings... I do love these shallow mists at this time of year, a reminder that autumn is more than just around the corner :D

IMG_9268.JPG

• Like 5

Posted
14 hours ago, MP-R said:

As much as I like cool fresh conditions in autumn, I have also been enjoying the frequency of being able to have dinner outside and sit with a coffee at 9pm+ without feeling cold, so whether anticyclonic or plume-type, I hope this can last a bit longer into September. Come mid-September my mind switches to the onset of more autumnal weather but given the erratic performance of this summer, autumn proper can wait a little bit longer in my opinion.

Having missed most of autumn 2012 living in Spain, and hearing people's views on it, I'd like to experience one like it - it sounds like it had a nice mix of Atlantic storms, convective rPm and Pm weather, and more settled conditions and frost. My last few days in the UK before I moved to Spain in September 2012 comprised Child of Nadine which brought over 100mm of rain across 36 hours here.

Unfortunately, the idea of 'nice' weather is lost on many people here as they anticipate the arrival of the darker, cooler, wetter half of the year - for reasons that remain unknown to the majority of the population.

Posted
3 minutes ago, cheese said:

Unfortunately, the idea of 'nice' weather is lost on many people here as they anticipate the arrival of the darker, cooler, wetter half of the year - for reasons that remain unknown to the majority of the population.

We're not even half way through the warmer half of the year, given Summer and Autumn are the warmest seasons! 

Posted
1 minute ago, March said:

We're not even half way through the warmer half of the year, given Summer and Autumn are the warmest seasons! 

Point taken. September is usually one of the nicest months here anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
28 minutes ago, cheese said:

Yes it is a bit odd... I'm guilty of that but not until at least the equinox. I certainly don't want to start looking for cold spells until well into November!

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Accuweather going for a stormy autumn for the british Isles.

Wet, windy conditions to stretch from Ireland and the U.K. into Scandinavia

On the heels of a cool and wet summer for parts of the United Kingdom, an increasingly stormy autumn is expected.

Frequent storm systems from the Atlantic Ocean will bring rounds of rain and gusty winds to the British Isles before lashing southern and western parts of Scandinavia.

Wind storms will become more likely as the season progresses with multiple named storms expected before the end of November.

The strongest winds and most rainfall is expected to target Northern Ireland to Scotland early in the season before increasing in frequency throughout the rest of the British Isles from late October into November.

"While the most widespread damaging winds will not target Southern England, rain will increase the threat for flooding late in the season," AccuWeather Meteorologist Tyler Roys said.

Post-tropical cyclones from the Atlantic Ocean will add to the stormy pattern across the U.K. with heavy rain and locally damaging winds. The highest risk for tropical impacts will be from late September through October.

The wet and stormy weather pattern will result in largely near- to below-normal temperatures across the Isles with the best chance for above-normal warmth occurring in southern England

650x366_08111715_getfileattachment.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, sundog said:

On the heels of a cool and wet summer for parts of the United Kingdom, an increasingly stormy autumn is expected.

Frequent storm systems from the Atlantic Ocean will bring rounds of rain and gusty winds to the British Isles before lashing southern and western parts of Scandinavia.

Wind storms will become more likely as the season progresses with multiple named storms expected before the end of November.

The strongest winds and most rainfall is expected to target Northern Ireland to Scotland early in the season before increasing in frequency throughout the rest of the British Isles from late October into November.

"While the most widespread damaging winds will not target Southern England, rain will increase the threat for flooding late in the season," AccuWeather Meteorologist Tyler Roys said.

Post-tropical cyclones from the Atlantic Ocean will add to the stormy pattern across the U.K. with heavy rain and locally damaging winds. The highest risk for tropical impacts will be from late September through October.

The wet and stormy weather pattern will result in largely near- to below-normal temperatures across the Isles with the best chance for above-normal warmth occurring in southern England

Yep  looks like its batten down the hatches time again   although i know im only a small part of the Uk  buts its been anything but  wet  and cool around here this summer 

Posted
35 minutes ago, sundog said:

That would be my perfect Autumn :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
7 hours ago, sundog said:

Interesting. Have a feeling that this year might see some "big blows" as Francis Wilson used to call them. Not keen on the dreaded word 'flooding' though....that can bugger right off!

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Im certainly hoping for a very stormy Autumn this year. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
20 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Im certainly hoping for a very stormy Autumn this year. 

typical from you, 300m snow, I'm hoping for  a warm calm autumn, but it's most likely to be low pressure dominated

Posted
10 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

typical from you, 300m snow, I'm hoping for  a warm calm autumn, but it's most likely to be low pressure dominated

Save the snow for Winter i say.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
8 hours ago, sundog said:

VERY good signs with NE Europe showing 'colder late'.....sets the scene for winter nicely if that is near the mark.

Sounds like they expect the jet to progress further S as the season progresses...hence the 'increasingly wet' signature for France and N Spain. All quite Nov 2009.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 5

Posted

I'd also quite like a stormy Autumn, or at least parts of autumn. Not excluding some early warmth and some mellow mists, golden sunshine, and frosts of course. Then if it leads into a cold winter like suggested above that would be about perfect :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

This is what Roger posted on an Irish forum yesterday doesn't make for good reading for cold lovers if he is right.

I suspect all three months of autumn will run 1-2 deg above normal and rainfall may be heavy or even excessive at times with the potential for strong windstorms by late October and November. If there is any cold air to be had this coming winter, it will probably wait for the second half of the season or even into March. 

There will be a few nice spells too and they could last up to a week in one or two cases at least for southeast counties which might also not be as wet or as windy in general terms; for Britain I am predicting a similar outcome for Scotland and Wales, northern England but more frequent blocking high pressure spells for southern England which may make the rainfall there closer to normal.

It just looks to me as though west-central Europe and the east coast of North America will be favoured locations for upper ridges with a trough mid-Atlantic, strong zonal flow and not much if any high latitude blocking to disrupt a mild pattern.

He is usually not too far side of the mark,god though I couldn't take another dire autumn/winter season.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
20 hours ago, Evening thunder said:

I'd also quite like a stormy Autumn, or at least parts of autumn. Not excluding some early warmth and some mellow mists, golden sunshine, and frosts of course. Then if it leads into a cold winter like suggested above that would be about perfect :)

Evening, Evening Thunder :blink2::smile:
As long as the stormy bits can hold off until the business end of autumn then I won't complain, I seem to recall a big wind storm in November 2010, but I wasn't well at the time, so my recollection is a tad foggy (excuse the pun).

• Like 1