Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

After having been a long time lurker on this forum, I have felt the time was right (also plucked up the courage) to finally break my silence :hi:
Now I know that there may well be brickbats heading my way for even mentioning autumn this early in July, and I'm also well aware that this thread could well be closed due to its untimeliness, but the first signs of autumn are becoming more and more noticeable with each passing day... Today amongst other things, I noticed my first Lords 'n' Ladies plant (with big green juicy berries on it) nestling amongst the nettles... Plus the nights are starting to draw in now aren't they? :D

Now I know that most people will immediately start thinking of yet more wind and rain at the slightest mention of of the coming season, but I don't see autumn like that... Personally I see autumn as a Keatsian season with 'mists and mellow fruitfulness', with that wonderful autumn smell :) 

So, lets start the ball rolling for another year, and this is personally what I would like autumn 2016 to pan out like...
September: A month of gentle warmth, and sunshine, but with a noticeable chill and slight dampness in the air come evening time.
October: Hopefully this will be the month when we see those first mists turn into proper fogs, but also I would like to see plenty of those sunny days, when the air has that hazy/smokey/golden appearance to it, along with trees of red, gold, orange and yellow.
November: This is the time when I'd like to see the first proper frost of the season - frost days, along with fog days, and also a few red line wind storms as well, plus a bit of sunshine as well :)

So what about other peoples thoughts hopes and wishes for autumn 2016?

PS. Mods, if I've put this in the wrong place, then feel free to move or delete as required. 

Autumn sunrise.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

The past few years August has become an Autumn month.  Meanwhile Summer 2016 now appears to be stillborn.  The past three or four weeks wouldn't have been out of place in October or even November.  A total washout together with non-ending cloudfest.

• Like 2

Posted

To be fair, this topic should be open all the time, being as the UK climate resembles 1 month of Summer, 1 month of Winter and 10 months of Autumn

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
13 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

To be fair, this topic should be open all the time, being as the UK climate resembles 1 month of Summer, 1 month of Winter and 10 months of Autumn

1 month of summer? I hope that occurs this year. Still waiting for Perma-Autumn to end. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

I had a hard time to sleep last night & already I have noticed a slight delay in getting light compared to the Summer solstice, not a huge difference of about I0 mins but regardless the ball is now rolling as we begin the long road to the Winter solstice. Anyway on to Autumn & I find September a boring month, probably my least favourite of the year - In fact whilst September is meteorologically Autumn I don't really class it as proper Autumn until October when we can start getting decent frosts & in between the Atlantic starts to rev up with sheet like rain & nasty old gales making the recently fallen leaves swirl about above the ground :). So my ideal Autumn would be an October like I992 or I993 with harsh frosts but sunshine by day really getting to the work on making the leaves all nice red and golden.....and maybe the odd Atlantic severe gale thrown in & hopefully then a November like 20I0! If only! :D

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I think summer will come in autumn but will be totally wasted by the decreasing hours of daylight

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

1 month of summer? I hope that occurs this year. Still waiting for Perma-Autumn to end. 

Indeed. I missed the Summer last year - I was on nights that week

• Like 2

Posted

The harbingers of Autumn are already here if you know where to look: Hawthorn and holly bushes dripping with green berries, hazel nuts are slowly forming, conker candles have given way to little prickly buds, cotoneaster bushes are showing a record crop, brambles (blackberries) are in flower and tiny, marble sized apples are everywhere. I'm looking forward to seeing my first Lords & Ladies in mid/late August.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
58 minutes ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Indeed. I missed the Summer last year - I was on nights that week

i've missed the winter the last 15 years, exception of 2013

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

i've missed the winter the last 15 years, exception of 2013

Yes proper weather that year..very snowy march and excellent  first two weeks of June and  very warm July.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
29 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

Yes proper weather that year..very snowy march and excellent  first two weeks of June and  very warm July.

yes the Wimbledon final very hot day, as was during Wimbledon and just after

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Whilst taking the dog for his early morning hike across the fields, and later on whilst washing the car, I couldn't help but notice how 'back endish' it felt!! I had to keep telling myself that it's early July, and not late August/September time. :cold:
Speaking of 'back endish', last night was the first night that I've noticed the evening end of the day getting darker... The mornings have been at it for a little while though. :)

Posted
8 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

The harbingers of Autumn are already here if you know where to look: Hawthorn and holly bushes dripping with green berries, hazel nuts are slowly forming, conker candles have given way to little prickly buds, cotoneaster bushes are showing a record crop, brambles (blackberries) are in flower and tiny, marble sized apples are everywhere. I'm looking forward to seeing my first Lords & Ladies in mid/late August.

The Lords 'n' Ladies are already out in this part of North East Wales TONA :good:

• Like 1

Posted
On 08/07/2016 at 16:38, Dangerous55019 said:

Whilst taking the dog for his early morning hike across the fields, and later on whilst washing the car, I couldn't help but notice how 'back endish' it felt!! I had to keep telling myself that it's early July, and not late August/September time. :cold:
Speaking of 'back endish', last night was the first night that I've noticed the evening end of the day getting darker... The mornings have been at it for a little while though. :)

Indeed. My alarm goes off at 5am and the sun's not risen yet. Still light though - just. I've not noticed the evenings changing yet as they're mostly overcast anyway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Acorns starting to grow on the oak trees, tiny green berries now appearing in the blackberry bushes...yep the early signs are there. Nope I don't think it's too early to start the thread,.

• Like 3

Posted

Been up since early this morning (well I say early, most normal people would probably class it as the middle of the night!!), and here in NE Wales we have slate grey skies, the wind is (or has been) gusting with some ferocity, the rain lashing against the windows... The dog refusing to go out... Its like one of the first proper autumn storms for the season. :blink2:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Other than the light and the strength of the sun which does feel hot during the few minutes it comes out, it most definitely feels like autumn. In fact, most of June felt like September, a sort of lingering humidity/minor warmth that is neither properly warm nor cold. The progression of the month was also very Septemberish with its warm settled first third, then gradually more unsettled as the month wore on.

I think however autumn turns out, it will be much better received if we've actually had some proper summer weather beforehand! Late Sept/early Oct 2011 was superb, but so many people were saying 'where was this during the summer?'.

• Like 1

Posted

I predict a decent Autumn for settled weather. Seems to be the norm these days, nice weather arrives when its too late to make the most of it due to shortening daylight hours.

I do like Autumn though, even though it signals the transition into darkness.

Posted
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

I think however autumn turns out, it will be much better received if we've actually had some proper summer weather beforehand! Late Sept/early Oct 2011 was superb, but so many people were saying 'where was this during the summer?'.

Morning MP-R :)
I remember that heatwave in autumn 2011... It felt, wouldn't say wrong, more sort of strange... High summer heat, the smell of barbecues and dark at 19.00 in the evening :blink2:
An Indian summer is one thing, but that really was something else!
... And likewise I agree with what you say, autumn will be much more well received if we do have a bit of summer first :good: 

20 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I predict a decent Autumn for settled weather. Seems to be the norm these days, nice weather arrives when its too late to make the most of it due to shortening daylight hours.

I do like Autumn though, even though it signals the transition into darkness.

Morning Azazel :)
Personally speaking I do like the transition to darkness, to a point, I love seeing the days get shorter through August and September and it reaches its zenith in October; as I've always found the time around Halloween particularly magical... Then after that the magic just vanishes, and then I want the winter solstice to happen asap so the nights can get lighter, and the whole circle can start over again... I'm strange I know:pardon:
But I do hope your prediction for a decent autumn comes true  :good:

Posted
5 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Talking about next autumn and to think it was snowing just over 10 weeks ago. 

I wonder if well get snow in October as per 2008? 
Personally, if we're going to get snow in autumn then I'd love to see it at the middle to end of November... After a few decent frost days of course :D