Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

BUYING GLOBAL AND REGIONAL WEATHER-PREDICTION MODELS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!

Hello; I was just wondering whether there exists on the market global weather-forecasting models that one could buy.  The sort of thing I am interested in getting is a global weather-prediction model that one could run sequentially and find out the weather expected in any part of the world one so chooses. I am after something that you could enter parameters for wind speeds, temperature, humidity and radiation at different levels in the atmosphere, atmospheric subsidence or ascent, sea-surface and land temperatures and radiation plus atmospheric angular momentum (or pick parameters ready installed). One would also be able to put in ocean temperatures for each 100 metres of the oceans and be able to put in things like ice-cover, snow-cover, type of surface (and their albedos and surface roughness) which all have a major impact on weather conditions on the local and macro-scale.  It would, ideally, be possible to have parameters on a scale of 100 miles X miles for each value and blocks of atmosphere 1 km thick with this model. I would use such a model to predict weather over months and seasons, and out of curiosity to model things like super-volcanoes and the Solar Constant dropping by 1%.

Does anyone know if such Models are available for the general public to buy, and if so what is the likely cost??

Thanks,

Ian Pennell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!

An additional point; what is the best-resolution model that is available to the general public if the model I have specified above is not and/or I do not have enough CPU on my rather standard computer (with Windows 8) to make use of it??

Posted

I am looking for global weather-prediction models that one can buy and run on my own PC, add my own parameters (like put cold fresh water in the North Atlantic, change the rotation rate of the Earth) and find out what happens to the weather in Britain and other parts of the World on a daily and weekly basis any season I choose.

I would value some advice as to how to procure such a model to run on my PC, the best resolution models available to Joe Public and cost.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
4 hours ago, iapennell said:

I am looking for global weather-prediction models that one can buy and run on my own PC, add my own parameters (like put cold fresh water in the North Atlantic, change the rotation rate of the Earth) and find out what happens to the weather in Britain and other parts of the World on a daily and weekly basis any season I choose.

I would value some advice as to how to procure such a model to run on my PC, the best resolution models available to Joe Public and cost.

Bottom line, you won't have a PC powerful enough to do it unless you spent thousands on a new set up. The only thing I can think of is the WRF ARM/EMS, you can define an area and select data to go in to it, then run it. The data on offer is only available fours time a day, like the GFS. It's probably a similar set up to what Netweather does, with all their charts (possibly GrADS??) It's a time and bandwidth consuming process. I think what you're asking is way above that league, hence why I mentioned that you wouldn't have hardware capable of doing it unless you spent some serious ££££

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
10 hours ago, iapennell said:

Hello; I was just wondering whether there exists on the market global weather-forecasting models that one could buy.  The sort of thing I am interested in getting is a global weather-prediction model that one could run sequentially and find out the weather expected in any part of the world one so chooses. I am after something that you could enter parameters for wind speeds, temperature, humidity and radiation at different levels in the atmosphere, atmospheric subsidence or ascent, sea-surface and land temperatures and radiation plus atmospheric angular momentum (or pick parameters ready installed). One would also be able to put in ocean temperatures for each 100 metres of the oceans and be able to put in things like ice-cover, snow-cover, type of surface (and their albedos and surface roughness) which all have a major impact on weather conditions on the local and macro-scale.  It would, ideally, be possible to have parameters on a scale of 100 miles X miles for each value and blocks of atmosphere 1 km thick with this model. I would use such a model to predict weather over months and seasons, and out of curiosity to model things like super-volcanoes and the Solar Constant dropping by 1%.

Does anyone know if such Models are available for the general public to buy, and if so what is the likely cost??

Thanks,

Ian Pennell

Here's a few members who's knowledge is vast in forecasting:- Tamara, Singularity, Gibby. They only appear on netweather quite rarely though so might be worth a pm. These members may work for professional forecasting also and be able to help with your question. Just a thought:)

Posted
7 hours ago, Matthew Wilson said:

Here's a few members who's knowledge is vast in forecasting:- Tamara, Singularity, Gibby. They only appear on netweather quite rarely though so might be worth a pm. These members may work for professional forecasting also and be able to help with your question. Just a thought:)

@ Matthew Wilson, Thanks for the feedback.  It is as I thought in that it would require me to have a much more powerful  computer which will clearly await the day I win the Lottery Big-Time!! Thanks for the relevant contacts, I will contact them though it could be that such Models are not available to obtain by  Joe Public in any case!

They may know of some Models that are approximately predictive that don't require super-computers. We shall see.

Thanks again.

Ian