UK & EU Economies post Brexit

5 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

It's another example of trying to reinforce esteem and is probably a reason why a lot of the older generation voted the way they did. When a generation that fought wars to prevent invasion from Europe are still alive (or their children are) it might seem strange to have the doors to Europe opened wide politically, particularly if it is seen we are being "ruled by Germany".

Sad but true - there is still an anti French sentiment in our country which stems back centuries - we should be progressing and growing beyond these illogical prejudices.

• Like 2
  • Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mike Meehan

• scottish skier

• General Cluster

• Midlands Ice Age

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do wonder if those attacking the judges in this case (and the Mail headline is particularly ludicrous and borderline dangerous for those judges) realise that had the government legal team, itself ma

Good Morning everyone from a horrible drizzly Essex. Yesterday my elderly uncle came to visit us for dinner and brought with him the Sunday Express. As I read through it I found it farcial in it'

And I am ashamed of how xenophobia and arrogance has developed in our country - what has happened since the days when we could rightfully hold ourselves up as an example to the rest of the world?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

No, I'm a supporter of direct investment in infrastructure in a 'new deal' type approach.

Pumping money into the banks with the aim of increasing loans and debt isn't the solution IMO. 

A couple of the main insurance co s are making big noises about investing in infrastructure projects.

Aviva and Legal& General are looking at it. L&G already said to govt "Give us the green light and we'll help fund new runway at Gatwick airport". The way forward with little risk to taxpayers.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, coldcomfort said:

Who knows, who cares now? At the end of the day the ref is done and dusted - the people have spoken and it is now the job of politicians to carry out their will, that I'm afraid is where the whole issue begins and ends in reality, whether you, I or anyone else likes it is irrelevant. Constant attacks on those who voted Out along with constant whinging an whining about negative campaigns, lies, posters, buses, borders, immigrants and cheese prices will not change anything imo, others however still think it might, so let them continue to whinge and whine if it makes them feel better.

The Brexit team are now hard at work formulating their initial proposals, the EU no doubt are crunching the possibilities involved and preparing a raft of responses based on what Westminster initially say. I totally agree that this negotiations are going to be extremely difficult, in fact torturous probably looks more apt, but as the end of the day it is absolutely no ones interest to let this drag on indefinitely as many countries remaining in the EU still need to trade with us.

Clearly this is not about Westminster dealing directly with Berlin, but I think we all know where the real power in Europe lies and if the Germans like what they are hearing all the problems and concerns of the smaller satellite nations will fairly quickly fade away imo. 

Nobody knows what the final outcome will be, but everyone should care. I also still think you are wrong about the power of Germany, but that is something we'll will find out one way or the other during negotiations. I personally do not expect an easy ride just cause Germany is on side, if they are.

2 hours ago, mike Meehan said:

I really hope not - a big reason I threw my lot in with Europe back in 1975 was because with Europe we would have remained an equal partner and not subject to being the poodle of the USA where they would gain the ultimate of benefit at our expense.

They have done anyway, Iraq, Syria, and anything else that comes along, we always work with them in everything, I think the arms deals with the US come through this door too. An arms trade between allies fighting together against ?

51 minutes ago, davehsug said:

Just to clarify, the £4300 figure was for 2030 not 2020. Facts.

Frankly I'd have been too embarrassed to point that out.....Osborne claiming he can predict to within a pound 3.5 years in the future would have been ridiculous enough, but 13.5 years!!! Priceless:fool::):yahoo:

Edited by coldcomfort
  • Like 3
45 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Nobody knows what the final outcome will be, but everyone should care. I also still think you are wrong about the power of Germany, but that is something we'll will find out one way or the other during negotiations. I personally do not expect an easy ride just cause Germany is on side, if they are.

I care about the outcome passionately, what I no longer give a monkeys about is how we got to where we now are and why...I will leave that to the whingers and whiners on here and elsewhere, I've moved on, the fact others can't or won't is their problem and not mine.

Regarding Germany and it's power to influence the EU, if you genuinely think that you are in a very small minority Alexis, perhaps a minority of one in fact! 

Edited by coldcomfort
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, coldcomfort said:

Frankly I'd have been too embarrassed to point that out.....Osborne claiming he can predict to within a pound 13.5 years in the future. Priceless:fool::):yahoo:

But it's okay for you to  'repeat after Nigel' all that rubbish about Turks and £millions? 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

But it's okay for you to  'repeat after Nigel' all that rubbish about Turks and £millions? 

I couple of little gifts for you Ed, feel free to share with your other Bitterarians....enjoy:yahoo:   

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Thought I'd 'like' this one for you, as 15 mins have now gone by and every one of your entourage has failed to do so....:pardon:

Edited by coldcomfort
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, coldcomfort said:

I couple of little gifts for you Ed, feel free to share with your other Bitterarians....enjoy:yahoo:   

The song of the referendum was The Clash.

The Bexiteers and UKIP vinyl and 78rpm versions omitted the third line though. :hi:

Should I stay or should I go now?
If I go there will be trouble
An' if I stay it will be double
So come on and let me know...

4 hours ago, coldcomfort said:

The headline read 'will be £4300 per annum worse off' so stop trying to suggests this was all a one way street Mike, because you know it wasn't.

Anyway as I've said it's all water under the bridge now, if you can't accept that then so be it.....it's your choice at the end of the day.

So when people commit criminal offences do we say it is all under the bridge then - no of course not - there have been a number of recent cases where people have been brought to book on the basis of new evidence turning up, mainly in respect of DNA evidence.

In my view to tell lies with a view to gaining a referendum view is also dishonest - whether it is criminal or not is still being examined but it not acceptable from a moral standpoint and to employ those tactics is a downward path from which ultimately nobody gains.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, coldcomfort said:

I care about the outcome passionately, what I no longer give a monkeys about is how we got to where we now are and why...I will leave that to the whingers and whiners on here and elsewhere, I've moved on, the fact others can't or won't is their problem and not mine.

Regarding Germany and it's power to influence the EU, if you genuinely think that you are in a very small minority Alexis, perhaps a minority of one in fact! 

If you are unable/unwilling to learn or care about how we got to this situation then you are bound to lose some credibility - your ideas would gain more respect if you showed more of a willingness to appreciate the other side of the argument.

I have looked at your side of the argument and considered it but I just don't agree with it.

• Like 1

Frankly I'd have been too embarrassed to point that out.....Osborne claiming he can predict to within a pound 3.5 years in the future would have been ridiculous enough, but 13.5 years!!! Priceless:fool::):yahoo:

Let's return to this conversation in 2030 if I get to live that long - the answer is that we just don't know at this moment in time - it may even turn out to be true.

• Like 1

May be however the negotiations will tell us one way or the other, and if I'm right this whole process of escaping from German rule was pointless. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, kar999 said:

The song of the referendum was The Clash.

The Bexiteers and UKIP vinyl and 78rpm versions omitted the third line though. :hi:

If I go there will be trouble
An' if I stay it will be double
So come on and let me know...

Looks more than equally apt too imo:oops:

• Like 1

Yep damned if we do and damned if don't but better the devil you know (and remain) was my view.

Apologies for more clichés than a Premiership manager... At the end of the day it'll all come out in the wash! :hi:

• Like 3
7 hours ago, mike Meehan said:

Sad but true - there is still an anti French sentiment in our country which stems back centuries - we should be progressing and growing beyond these illogical prejudices.

I always do my best to make sure locals know I'm Scottish when in France. Really gets you a big welcome. Got quite a lot of free beers for it on holiday a couple of weeks back due to the brexit result.

As you'll know mike, they have news in France and they know the British press often talks disparagingly about other European peoples.

• Like 6
10 hours ago, mike Meehan said:

During the years of my growing up in the 40's and 50's certain public attitudes were common and I often heard them repeated - 'The only good German was a dead German' - 'the French did not wash and they gave up virtually without a fight', 'the Italians had tanks with two forward gears and 5 reverse'.

Other races were treated as second class citizens but happily we grew beyond that and for the most part growing into a tolerant multi racial society.

However there are indications that, albeit a minority of people are, though probably always have been intolerant of incomers and ideas in our midst to the extent that an ugly right wing sentiment is increasing.

My fear is that as we become more inward looking this will provide ground for the attitudes of intolerance to increase. 

A fine example of the questionable psychology of historical warfare.

The enemy had to be dehumanised and seen to be very, very bad - a doctrine that would overcome a persons natural revulsion towards killing another.

It was equally important to promote how inferior, ineffective and useless they were - thereby the risk to oneself was seen to be considerably mitigated.

What applied to the fighting forces soon applied to the nation state and a myth was born.

6 hours ago, mike Meehan said:

Let's return to this conversation in 2030 if I get to live that long - the answer is that we just don't know at this moment in time - it may even turn out to be true.

:D 2030, hmmm... let's see how well this mediterranean diet works.

Edited by Nouska
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, coldcomfort said:

Why on earth would I be embarrassed? Merely pointing out a pretty huge error by you. The figure in itself was always meaningless and being so far in the future made it moreso. It may be right, it's probably wrong, but the fact that we'll be much worse off than we would have been, is almost certainly correct.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, kar999 said:

Yep damned if we do and damned if don't but better the devil you know (and remain) was my view.

Apologies for more clichés than a Premiership manager... At the end of the day it'll all come out in the wash! :hi:

Does that mean 'all washed up'?  :D

9 hours ago, coldcomfort said:

What exactly do you care passionately about CC ?  

I read you don't give a monkeys about the current situation - or a toss about Scotland.

What place have you moved to? Is it that magical place of "taking control" and the illusiory "sovereignty" 

Edited by ciel
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, scottish skier said:

I always do my best to make sure locals know I'm Scottish when in France. Really gets you a big welcome. Got quite a lot of free beers for it on holiday a couple of weeks back due to the brexit result.

As you'll know mike, they have news in France and they know the British press often talks disparagingly about other European peoples.

The UK, I think more so the English tabloid press - I think you get different editions in Scotland - has a lot to answer for and some of it appears to be down to a story that I read to the effect that whenever Murdoch went to the corridors of power at Westminster people fawned over him, yet when he went over and did the same thing in Brussels he was virtually ignored. He really must have a terrible amount of angst to inflict his perverted views on the British people which is even more astounding since he is Australian living in the USA, so not even British.

Oh poor little diddums, were his sensitive sensibilities upset by those nasty people at Brussels.  

49 minutes ago, Nouska said:

A fine example of the questionable psychology of historical warfare.

The enemy had to be dehumanised and seen to be very, very bad - a doctrine that would overcome a persons natural revulsion towards killing another.

It was equally important to promote how inferior, ineffective and useless they were - thereby the risk to oneself was seen to be considerably mitigated.

What applied to the fighting forces soon applied to the nation state and a myth was born.

:D 2030, hmmm... let's see how well this mediterranean diet works.

What is so sad is that in the main we had developed into a great open welcoming society, then we get this awful referendum and all the nasties are starting to crawl out of the woodwork now - this new attitude appears to have put us back decades in our development.

• Like 7

Farage will be fine; his salary and pension are in Euros.

http://www.euroexchangeratenews.co.uk/gbpeur-nears-1-15-pound-weakens-friday-ecostats-20160

GBP EUR Exchange Rate Hits 1.15, New Pound Euro Lows Forecast in 2016

The GBP EUR exchange rate was unable to recover from its worst levels on Friday, reaching new post-Brexit lows as Sterling sentiment plunged following last week’s BoE stimulus measures and amid high bets of further BoE easing in coming months.

UK data has also done little to support the Pound in recent days, with the latest housing report adding to concerns surrounding the slowdown in the UK economy since the nation voted to Brexit from the European Union.

It's low income UKIP / brexit voter in e.g. Sunderland that will bit hit the hardest.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 3
12 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Farage will be fine; his salary and pension are in Euros.

It's low income UKIP / brexit voter in e.g. Sunderland that will bit hit the hardest.

Fortunately I have kept some cash back in Euros but nothing like as much as Farage will be getting - just thought, I wonder if he is still claiming expenses?  :)