Sign in to follow this  
The PIT

Labour Leadership

Thankfully the high court saw sense today,those so called new Labour members have not got the right of a vote,thank good for common sense. 

Aye; SNP in Scotland have been subjected to the same my whole life.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jeremy-corbyn-bbc-bias-concernsdetailed-in-letter-from-academicsto-james-harding_uk_57adb2fce4b0f475601bd169

Jeremy Corbyn BBC Bias Concerns Detailed In Letter From Academics To News Boss James Harding

Louise Ridley Assistant news editor at The Huffington Post UK

Academics from nine British universities have written to the BBC requesting a meeting about the “significant groundswell of concerns” over its coverage of Jeremy Corbyn.

The 14 senior academics, from institutions including Glasgow University, Bath University and Kings College London wrote to James Harding, the director of BBC News, to ask for a meeting with senior management.

The group, which claims to represent “a breadth of personal political views”, are alarmed about the findings of a recent study which claimed BBC was among TV and online media that were “persistently biased” against Corbyn during the Shadow Cabinet resignations in June...

I'd never vote Labour / Corbyn for my own reasons, but I can still smell a rat, if only from experience.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, markyo said:

Thankfully the high court saw sense today,those so called new Labour members have not got the right of a vote,thank good for common sense. 

I think it's a disgrace. The website said when joining "by becoming a member, you will get the right to vote" - that's what it said when I joined, yet I am being denied a vote. Nothing more than gerrymandering.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Nick L said:

I think it's a disgrace. The website said when joining "by becoming a member, you will get the right to vote" - that's what it said when I joined, yet I am being denied a vote. Nothing more than gerrymandering.

You have well and truly duped,under the old Labour rules you wouldn't have had the right to vote as a new member. Misled which is not right. As for Corbyn,he is a protester not and will never be a leader. I've been Labour all my life,never seen the party as broken as it is under this man.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

The gerrymandering by the NEC will not succeed.

Edited by Nick L

1 minute ago, Nick L said:

The gerrymandering of the NEC will not succeed.

Labour members want to move left, and I very much doubt it has anything to do with momentum or whatever that movement is. We have move far to much to the right in recent years.

8 hours ago, markyo said:

You have well and truly duped,under the old Labour rules you wouldn't have had the right to vote as a new member. Misled which is not right. As for Corbyn,he is a protester not and will never be a leader. I've been Labour all my life,never seen the party as broken as it is under this man.

You know Owen Smith can't realistically be PM right. He's Welsh / represents a Welsh constituency.

Now that England has EVEL, the PM needs really to be English / representing an English constituency. Otherwise, he'd have to sit out key debates / votes on Education, Health etc. That's just not feasible.

Tories would hammer this home ahead of the GE and play the English nationalism card, just as they did in 2015 for the prospect of the SNP possibly working with Labour. I can see it now 'Owen Smith would divert more funding to Wales, making the English pay for Welsh largesse'. 

Edited by scottish skier

8 minutes ago, Nick L said:

The gerrymandering by the NEC will not succeed.

Nope, I don't imagine it will. Everything says it will backfire.

The Blairites couldn't organise a jaffa cakes up in a brewery. Only thing they are good at is destroying the Labour party. Like in Scotland.

4 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Labour members want to move left, and I very much doubt it has anything to do with momentum or whatever that movement is. We have move far to much to the right in recent years.

Yep. This is not about an "infiltration of communists". The UK has not had a viable left wing party for some time, and after years of Labour edging to the right, it has reached a point where the grassroots have said "enough is enough". 

I know there are some on here who are happy to see Labour simply be a Tory-lite party in order to beat the Tories, but what's the point of that? Many of us don't want simply a less bad version of what we have now.

And regarding Owen Smith - I find it pretty rich how he's warning about the privatisation of the NHS when he himself has supported private finance schemes in the past.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nick L said:

Yep. This is not about an "infiltration of communists". The UK has not had a viable left wing party for some time, and after years of Labour edging to the right, it has reached a point where the grassroots have said "enough is enough". 

I know there are some on here who are happy to see Labour simply be a Tory-lite party in order to beat the Tories, but what's the point of that? Many of us don't want simply a less bad version of what we have now.

And regarding Owen Smith - I find it pretty rich how he's warning about the privatisation of the NHS when he himself has supported private finance schemes in the past.

Agree on some points,disagree on others. Owen Smith i wouldn't trust with a spade to dig a hole,useless. What we need is a strong Labour leader who will not only bring social but economic benefits to all,both rich and poor.Like it or not we need the rich to enable this country to prosper,sorry that a facts,they create the jobs as we are a country of small business,vast majority are employed that way. Less bad version,sorry a Left wing government would be so much worse,name one in that has one where they are able to provide like this country? There are none,we need to find that balance between the social need and care and the need to grow,we can only spend what we earn,but,big but it must must be spent on the correct things,health,social care for those in need,not lining the pockets of parasites through tax breaks and the old school tie network. We need a Labour government that understands the modern world,not one harking back 30yrs which Corbyn is so obviously. You won't agree i know,sorry for that.

1 hour ago, markyo said:

Agree on some points,disagree on others. Owen Smith i wouldn't trust with a spade to dig a hole,useless. What we need is a strong Labour leader who will not only bring social but economic benefits to all,both rich and poor.Like it or not we need the rich to enable this country to prosper,sorry that a facts,they create the jobs as we are a country of small business,vast majority are employed that way. Less bad version,sorry a Left wing government would be so much worse,name one in that has one where they are able to provide like this country? There are none,we need to find that balance between the social need and care and the need to grow,we can only spend what we earn,but,big but it must must be spent on the correct things,health,social care for those in need,not lining the pockets of parasites through tax breaks and the old school tie network. We need a Labour government that understands the modern world,not one harking back 30yrs which Corbyn is so obviously. You won't agree i know,sorry for that.

To be clear, I'm not a Labour voter nor ever have been. But then I'm not a Tory. I'm a just left of centre liberal social democrat, hence vote yellow flag SNP.

However, I am watching the attempted take down of a democratically elected Left Labour leader by a right wing Blairite faction, aided and abetted by a right wing press, with concern.

The UK/England now has the most right wing government it has ever had. If the opposition is just a Tory light, the movement right will continue as the battles will always be fought on the right and you can't out Tory the Tories.

A left Labour would bring balance. It may not win, but it changes the narrative. It would also oppose, not 'abstain for Britain'.

But then what do I know; it's England after all. Well, apart from I've seen the British establishment / media try the same take down on the SNP using all the same tactics for similar reasons. And fail I might add.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Loved the news today that Corbyn didn't know who Ant and Dec where....must have been a slow news day!..And as for Owen Smith,reports which i really hope are not true that we should talk to isis have come out. If true then i am speechless.

I preferred Corbyn's tough line of no negotiations with ISIS over Smith's suggestions of making a deal with them.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2016/aug/17/third-labour-leadership-debate-live-jeremy-corbyn-owen-smith-victoria-derbyshire

Owen Smith suggests Islamic State needs to 'get round the table' – as it happened

Labour leadership challenger Owen Smith caused controversy after saying the UK government would have to negotiate withIslamic State to end the conflict in the Middle East. He made the comments during a head-to-head BBC debate with Jeremy Corbyn.

Corbyn, who has often been accused of being too willing to negotiate with terrorists, said Isis should not be allowed to take part in talks. His team described Smith’s remarks as “hasty and ill-considered”.

Edited by scottish skier

Corbyn refuses to back nato in case of Russian invasion. Yes in an ideal world they'd be no wars but it isn't one and never will be.

The Tories would do well to ram home their advantage by calling a snap GE the second Corbyn is reelected.  

• Like 2

Latest poll has Corbyn mikes ahead at 62 percent.  

Where goeth Labour now? Massive split or will Blairites do as their told?

Just now, mountain shadow said:

Latest poll has Corbyn mikes ahead at 62 percent.  

Where goeth Labour now? Massive split or will Blairites do as their told?

Unelectable Corbyn looks to win 2nd election in a year.

On 15 August 2016 at 15:56, alexisj9 said:

We have move far to much to the right in recent years.

Labour have been inching leftwards since Blair went and he went 9 years ago and they lost two elections in that period. Don't you see a pattern here?

Edited by Weather-history

8 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Labour have been inching leftwards since Blair went and he went 9 years ago and they lost two elections in that period. Don't you see a pattern here?

Yep  edd  was left of centre and that didnt work out  so they have gone even more to the left with Corbyn  and now labour really seem to me loosing ground  as Dougal said  tories would do will to call a GE now  im sure their majority would increase 

52 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Unelectable Corbyn looks to win 2nd election in a year.

He could probably win "Beard of the Year" as well but that wont put him in Government either.

Since the late seventies we've rarely seen a credible opposition, IMO...I don't see a Corbyn-led Labour Party ever providing one. Non-existent Oppositions lead to unchallenged and usually incompetent governments.

24 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Non-existent Oppositions lead to unchallenged and usually incompetent governments.

Usually, but not always? Trying to set aside my personal bias, polling tend to show that in Scotland people are generally happy with the SNP government in Holyrood. Now I know they have limited powers to 'f' things up, but I'd also say that the opposition they face has been even more dysfunctional than at Westminster, and for much longer too.

Returning to subject, even if Corbyn is 'unelectable', the manner in which the Labour party have gone about trying to replace him has been utterly shambolic. I doubt anyone they could replace him with will be able to overcome the vision of incompetence and infighting in the electorates minds for many years.

5 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Usually, but not always? Trying to set aside my personal bias, polling tend to show that in Scotland people are generally happy with the SNP government in Holyrood. Now I know they have limited powers to 'f' things up, but I'd also say that the opposition they face has been even more dysfunctional than at Westminster, and for much longer too.

Returning to subject, even if Corbyn is 'unelectable', the manner in which the Labour party have gone about trying to replace him has been utterly shambolic. I doubt anyone they could replace him with will be able to overcome the vision of incompetence and infighting in the electorates minds for many years.

Fair point...But Scotland has a far more representative electoral system than the UK? I think FPTP is too binary for the modern day. Labour does appear to be destroying itself, if you ask me??