Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

CAPE chart for June 28th 2012

Kain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Hi guys

Not sure where to put this post, so apologies if in the wrong place. Does anyone know where I could find the cape chart for the 2012 June 28th supercells?

Cheers

Kain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I have this one saved for midday on the 28th June from the 06z run of that day. I believe this is when the highest CAPE was forecast

ukcapeli2.png

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Doesn't look particularly special to say it turned out to be one of the best convective days in recent history!

Posted

Courtesy of the Icelandic met, here's the archived ECM chart for that afternoon.

ecm0125_millikort_msl_cp_10uv_t850_cape_

other parameters also - national maps at bottom of the page.

http://brunnur.vedur.is/kort/ecm0125/2012/06/28/12/

ESWD reports from the event.

http://www.eswd.eu/queries/675016.html

6ce806123247e1b1d678b259d6dc2fd8.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
1 hour ago, William Grimsley said:

Doesn't look particularly special to say it turned out to be one of the best convective days in recent history!

deoesn't look special?.......earth calling William...lol...............These weren't pie in the sky, way out in FI eye candy CAPE charts that look great and never verify.....these were the real deal!.....very rare does large swathes of England ever see CAPE values of 2500 j/kg, with dewpoints of 20C and lifted indices of greater than -6C....this was the mother of loaded gun scenarios, and by god, as I can attest to, it delivered in buckets....multicell clusters, elevated storms, dangerous surface based supercells, fist sized hail and tornadoes 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Found this earlier, I can only assume that this man witnessed what must've been the mesocyclone of the supercell go right over him! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
19 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

deoesn't look special?.......earth calling William...lol...............These weren't pie in the sky, way out in FI eye candy CAPE charts that look great and never verify.....these were the real deal!.....very rare does large swathes of England ever see CAPE values of 2500 j/kg, with dewpoints of 20C and lifted indices of greater than -6C....this was the mother of loaded gun scenarios, and by god, as I can attest to, it delivered in buckets....multicell clusters, elevated storms, dangerous surface based supercells, fist sized hail and tornadoes 

Wasn't that the day of the mass influx of videos on YouTube, showing huge hailstorms stripping trees and smashing cars up? If it was, I was on YouTube all afternoon watching them! It was truly a significant event, the video's made it on to weather programmes as well. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

yep, that was the one.......here's a link to a thread I started for footage from the event...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

June 28th will always stick in my mind of the fastest I have ever seen a storm develop, from nothing to lightning in minutes, I could see the clouds building so fast, even my next door neighbours were outside drinking coffee in  their jim jams watching the sky. Unfortunately I didn't get a direct hit that day, but I had a front row view of the storm as it past over MK way where hubs was working. 

The atmosphere was amazing. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 hour ago, ChezWeather said:

gallery_2_889_60450.jpg

June28th12.jpg

That's brilliant. It's not often you can pick out a bona fide supercell on UK radar.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

It will be a year tomorrow night since my beloved Collie and I sat and watched the Aire Valley supercell. The memory makes me very emotional right now as in so many ways it was a once in a lifetime experience...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I find it quite interesting that the strike map shows none near me and I can say hand on heart that not only did I watch the storm develop but I saw the lightning too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
19 minutes ago, Dami said:

I find it quite interesting that the strike map shows none near me and I can say hand on heart that not only did I watch the storm develop but I saw the lightning too.

Sure you're not thinking of a different day? The satellite image shows your area as clear as anything! I was annoyingly down in Reading that day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

One of the worst weather days in history for me, stuck in a slice of no convection with two impressive storms to the north and south. I try not to think about it.

• 4 years later...
Posted
On 25/06/2016 at 11:17, A.J said:

yep, that was the one.......here's a link to a thread I started for footage from the event...

Nine years on, I never tire of looking at the archived clips and photos of this momentous day in UK weather history. And to think I missed it all where I was in S Cheshire! 

• Like 1