Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 11/06/16 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Storms kicking off across germany and the netherlands again. I wish we got their weather, they seem to get loads of powerful storms every single day!

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
24 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I'd be quite interested to see what rainfall totals some of you folks have recorded during this period of convectivity?! I have seen one station at around 80mm for the month so far, but when broken down over the last four or five days, most of it has fallen within five to six hours. 

Just a piddly 4.8mm here. lol

Just 4.3 mm of rain here this month. Everything seems to be mostly avoiding me. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Looking like a dry day here in a large hole of zero convection. All the action to the west and further south.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Think radar is broken, rainfall rates shown are much lower than actual, I can see sheets of rain to my south and the radar is hardly picking it up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

I'd be quite interested to see what rainfall totals some of you folks have recorded during this period of convectivity?! I have seen one station at around 80mm for the month so far, but when broken down over the last four or five days, most of it has fallen within five to six hours. 

Just a piddly 4.8mm here. lol

21.8mm for June so far. 13.5mm was on one day, the 10th. No thunder or lightning observed here since March, and no overhead activity since October last year.

A very poor convective period for my back yard.

Anyway, like in Sheffield, the precipitation is forming around us - in situ, by the looks of the radar, so we could escape with a dry day, which is fine by me. Unless we get T&L, the rain can stay away.

081ca64d529b4b9684ad9def17b837f6.png

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Ok, I thought the rain had stopped as looking out the window it looks dry, but I just stepped outside a while ago and its still raining very lightly. Still covered over with cloud too. Feels extremely muggy/humid.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
5 minutes ago, cheese said:

21.8mm for June so far. 13.5mm was on one day, the 10th. No thunder or lightning observed here since March, and no overhead activity since October last year.

Anyway, like in Sheffield, the precipitation is forming around us - in situ, by the looks of the radar, so we could escape with a dry day, which is fine by me. Unless we get T&L, the rain can stay away.

Ah man, I feel for you. Hope you get something soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Yay! The heavens have just opened. No thunder since just this side of midnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
1 hour ago, Frosty hollows said:

Now, if only I could get over my fear of flying!

I think it's great that we can all express our strengths as well as our weaknesses.

I used to have anxiety about flying, but I didn't do a course, I sorted it by gaining an understanding about the physics, mechanics and physiology of flying. Holding a glass of water, for example, in a car compared to an aircraft is great for making you realistic about turbulence! Let's set up a thread and we can talk about it in The Lounge...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

Warnings are out for today, tomorrow and Wednesday

Issued at:1033 on Mon 13 Jun 2016

Valid from:1200 on Mon 13 Jun 2016

Valid to:2100 on Mon 13 Jun 2016

Scattered heavy thundery showers are expected to develop, and will once again lead to slow-moving downpours across the warning area. Some parts will inevitably miss most, or all, of the heavier rain. Please be aware of possible localised flooding and disruption to travel. This is an update to the warning to slightly shrink the yellow area.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Low cloud will slowly break allowing temperatures to rise, triggering some heavy and slow-moving downpours. 15-25 mm could fall within an hour in scattered locations, bringing the risk of flooding, especially if across urban areas.

Issued at:1046 on Mon 13 Jun 2016

Valid from:1000 on Tue 14 Jun 2016

Valid to:2100 on Tue 14 Jun 2016

Scattered heavy, thundery showers are expected to develop again on Tuesday, and will lead to slow-moving downpours across the warning area. Many locations will miss these, but where they do occur, please be aware of possible localised flooding and disruption to travel.

As with recent days, temperatures will rise on Tuesday and trigger some heavy downpours. These may locally produce 15 to 25 mm rainfall in an hour where they become slow-moving, bringing the risk of flooding, especially if across urban areas.

Issued at:1051 on Mon 13 Jun 2016

Valid from:1000 on Wed 15 Jun 2016

Valid to:2100 on Wed 15 Jun 2016

Scattered heavy, thundery showers are expected to develop yet again on Wednesday, and will lead to slow-moving downpours across the warning area. As on preceding days, some locations will miss these downpours, but please be aware of possible localised flooding and disruption to travel where they do occur.

As on preceding days, the atmosphere will remain unstable such that the daily rise in temperature will trigger slow-moving heavy showers and thunderstorms. Once again, 15-25 mm could fall within an hour in scattered locations, bringing the risk of flooding, especially if across urban areas.

Ck0sM3NWEAErvc3.jpg

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?WT.mc_id=Twitter_Warnings_Rain&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1465772400&regionName=uk

Got to be honest, been a good year for convection In the uk. Not sure the last time I saw three consecutive days of storms forecast. Not to mention there's been something somewhere since I can't remember when.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Persistent moderate sometimes heavy rain so far here today with low cloud shrouding the hills, Temp 13.8 

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

The front may now finally be moving towards us.

Posted

Ok, its just stopped raining and the sun is trying to come out through the clouds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
53 minutes ago, William Grimsley said:

Think radar is broken, rainfall rates shown are much lower than actual, I can see sheets of rain to my south and the radar is hardly picking it up.

Rain here yesterday looked like that in the distance but was nothing more than heavy drizzle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Complete cloud cover all day here, some rain and feeling chilly. I'd be surprised if anything convective happens unless the sun comes out, doesn't look very hopeful on satellite pics! 

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted

Looks like there was something around the braintree area but activity seems to have died now.

Posted

The light rain returns! Can't see anything happening around these parts if this continues.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
49 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Not one storm over the past week here, not one! Sigh.

Like another world isn't it. Tomorrow/Wednesday look better to me now though, with a light E'ly/NE'ly steering flow? 

Maybe somthing early morning tomorrow. A little low crosses to the South. 

Edited by Chris.R

Posted

Looking pretty well a dead duck again here. Suspect the best place will be much further south and east over east Anglia and the south east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Showers developing behind this rain band will be interesting to see if it kicks off later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I've been sat under the meto's light rain since 12 and my washing still dried! ( mostly ano false signals?) even had a 'heavy pulse' but all we got was a very low cloud base and no downpour???

Can the Radar be 'fooled' by low cloud or is something else at play? We even had a nice hour of hazy sun???

Posted

Very heavy relentless rain here now topping 7mm

Posted
2 hours ago, cheese said:

081ca64d529b4b9684ad9def17b837f6.png

Extremely heavy rain again.... Building as it heads east with the precip stretching nw to se as it does....