Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 11/06/16 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
42 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Just a quick post from me,

Well what a foo-king day i have had and didn't have to go far,just half a mile to get a good visual on a storm,which produced at first a funnel cloud in the early stages of the storm,then CG'S,IC's popping off,i have footage of the funnel(a couple of minutes) and footage of the lightning too(ten minutes),so some editing to do,i will upload later as i have guest's at the moment so it will probably be tomorrow evening when i have the time

I have some good photo's too of which i will post with the vids,i am so chuffed to bits from today:yahoo:

good to see alot of others have seen storms too,great convective day :D

laters.

Can't wait Si. Hubby said the Aire Valley storms were impressive but distant to his side. Also post a pic of your pup sometime soon, I bet she's a real "little big dog" now. Can't wait for our next little one. September/October/November - I'd like two- this will take some marital negotiation - but I'll win!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Storm to the NW of me appears to be dying on radar and on real time lightning. This was going to be a direct hit, the first one of the year, but alas....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Belting it down here in Wendover, the corrugated roof of the office is making a right racket. Come on, flash and bang damn you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

A few from me today, not been quite as exciting here as some places further east but still managed a few flashes and rumbles coupled with some great skies. Looks like it'll be a while before the next interesting period so Ive been making the most of today!

Untitled_Panorama1.jpgUntitled_Panorama2.jpgUntitled_Panorama3.jpgP6250137-1.jpgP6250144-1.jpgP6250154-1.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
4 hours ago, MP-R said:

Pulled up on the train into Parkway at about 17.15 into biblical rain and hail. The train had to wait for it to calm down a bit, which it did for a few seconds, then as the train pulled away it kicked off even more. A loud clap of thunder followed. 

Then got a connector to Temple Meads where it hadn't rained at all and was bone dry. Crazy but fun stuff!

My  friend lives by parkway said he had heavy rain and thunder but here sunny, could see the dark sky over that way and heard 1 distant rumble.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

Anyone else near Oxford today? I was out without my phone when the biggest thunderclap happened, no pics but the whole day was awesome, storm after storm came by, so much energy.  And near my parents in Norfolk absolute monsoon season with people canoeing down the road :-)

https://www.facebook.com/FightingCocksWinfarthing/videos/1898911330335618/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
15 hours ago, Pursuer of Storms said:

Just got back from a storm chase with a friend of mine. Milton Keynes and the surrounding areas got an absolute pounding! Spectacular cloud formations in all directions for the entire evening. 

I think the cell in the second and fourth pictures spawned a wall cloud. Couldn't see any rotation as it was very distant but it was changing shape quite rapidly in places. That was the one that bought all the rain around 9pm. Absolutely insane. Never experienced rainfall while being in a car like that in years. There wasn't much lightning in the end but still, it was great fun just watching the skies darken and the rain moving across the fields.

P1790371.JPGP1790445.JPGP1790476.JPG

P1790506.JPGP1790575.JPGP1790583.JPG

The storm in the first pic has the appearance of a supercell! That is a definite wall cloud in the second pic imo. Well done, lovely pictures.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Yesterday was a fantastic day for me. From 2pm onwards I pretty much had constant thunder every 20 - 30 seconds all afternoon and lasting into the early evening - it was still rumbling at 7.30pm! Didn't see a single flash of lightning all day and cells constantly arriving from the west would just skim us as they passed to the north or south but nonetheless still had a great day with one storm producing strong rotation and almost dropped a funnel to my immediate southwest. Didn't get a whole lot done yesterday at all as I was glued to the radar, forums and sky pretty much all day from 12 to 7.30pm.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Windblade said:

The storm in the first pic has the appearance of a supercell! That is a definite wall cloud in the second pic imo. Well done, lovely pictures.

Thank you! That storm in the first one was easily the most explosive of the lot. It was a big bubbly mass when I first saw it but then in the next twenty minutes or so after that, it exploded into the anvil you see there. Sadly couldn't get a good view of what was going on at the base. I didn't pay a great deal of attention to this thread yesterday but it seemed to be part of a squall line, pictured below. The one you mentioned was just to the right out of frame. 

P1790263.JPG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
10 minutes ago, Pursuer of Storms said:

Thank you! That storm in the first one was easily the most explosive of the lot. It was a big bubbly mass when I first saw it but then in the next twenty minutes or so after that, it exploded into the anvil you see there. Sadly couldn't get a good view of what was going on at the base. I didn't pay a great deal of attention to this thread yesterday but it seemed to be part of a squall line, pictured below. The one you mentioned was just to the right out of frame. 

P1790263.JPG

A very nice picture, as were the others in your earlier post. However, I would say it is more likely this is a convergence zone than a squall line. A squall line describes a line of strong winds that develop ahead of a line of thunderstorms/rain and are more associated with cold fronts. A convergence zone describes a line whereby winds from differing directions converge, are forced upwards and provide a focus for storm development. Some of the convergence zones yesterday were very visible due to the clear skies around them, such as in your picture.

The lack of shear yesterday made storms very much pulse like in nature, which proved frustrating if you weren't in the right place at the right time when chasing, but very rewarding if you were. Unfortunately I fell unlucky. Your earlier picture (with the very photogenic updraft and anvil) is a perfect example of a storm maturing in an environment with no shear, hence no lean or shearing of its anvil. 

A quiet week upcoming, but signs that GFS wants to develop something late on Tuesday towards the SW of Wales and England, moving E into the mainland overnight.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.
1 hour ago, Supacell said:

A quiet week upcoming, but signs that GFS wants to develop something late on Tuesday towards the SW of Wales and England, moving E into the mainland overnight.

Ooo, yes! Come on!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Well my funnel cloud vid has just finished uploading,sorry about the focus going in and out as i did not set the camera in the right settings,had to record this strait away in case i missed it,here it is....enjoy:D

here is a pic of a CB going up in the early stages of the storm and i didn't realise at first that there was a funnel cloud in there,i imediately zoomed in and took another pic then began filming straight away:D

DSC00805.JPGDSC00806.JPG

the thunderstorm footage is still uploading so will be a while and i will probabley have to edit it or i may post the whole ten minutes on here though as i am rubbish at editing lol

i will also post some more piccies later for you all to druel on:)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
1 hour ago, Allseasons-si said:

Well my funnel cloud vid has just finished uploading,sorry about the focus going in and out as i did not set the camera in the right settings,had to record this strait away in case i missed it,here it is....enjoy:D

here is a pic of a CB going up in the early stages of the storm and i didn't realise at first that there was a funnel cloud in there,i imediately zoomed in and took another pic then began filming straight away:D

DSC00805.JPGDSC00806.JPG

the thunderstorm footage is still uploading so will be a while and i will probabley have to edit it or i may post the whole ten minutes on here though as i am rubbish at editing lol

Wow Si. That was amazing footage. Something to remember forever. How's "the pup"...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold
3 hours ago, William Grimsley said:

Ooo, yes! Come on!

Cant seem to find the post from Supercell to quote but yeah I just noticed that whilst having a little look ahead on GFS Not a vast area currently but will see what happens in the upcoming runs. Noticed a post saying that it would be it for convective weather for a while but that isn't necessarily the case. The more far forward you look the more likely things change and the next thing you know there is another potential convective day. Can say that through experience although at times there can be a long period of quietness, best to take it a couple of days at a time.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Well,i canceled the upload on the thunderstorm vid because i have just watched it and all i saw was a few flashes,oh well,better look next time

meanwhile here is a few pics from yesterday to make up for it:D

late morning convection

DSC00799.JPGDSC00802.JPGDSC00803.JPGDSC00804.JPG

early afternoon,i like this beauty:)

DSC00807.JPGDSC00808.JPG

wallcloud approaching,this i liked too

DSC00809.JPGDSC00813.JPGDSC00810.JPG

late afternoon,Hull storm developing

DSC00812.JPGDSC00815.JPG

Lincolnshire storm

DSC00816.JPG

forgot to mention this earlier but i did see another funnel,that's two in one day:D

DSC00811.JPG

• Like 5

Posted
On ‎25‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 12:24, ChezWeather said:

Large funnel cloud reported in Chesterfield earlier today

Near Brim/ Inkersall then was it. Cannot really get a good all round view from where we are

Anyway, we were driving back through Nottingham yesterday morning at around 11.30 through quite a potent cell with quite a few strikes over the city centre. Got back to Hasland at 12.30 in time for that thundery shower to turn up and flood a few businesses

Posted
14 hours ago, Supacell said:

A very nice picture, as were the others in your earlier post. However, I would say it is more likely this is a convergence zone than a squall line. A squall line describes a line of strong winds that develop ahead of a line of thunderstorms/rain and are more associated with cold fronts. A convergence zone describes a line whereby winds from differing directions converge, are forced upwards and provide a focus for storm development. Some of the convergence zones yesterday were very visible due to the clear skies around them, such as in your picture.

The lack of shear yesterday made storms very much pulse like in nature, which proved frustrating if you weren't in the right place at the right time when chasing, but very rewarding if you were. Unfortunately I fell unlucky. Your earlier picture (with the very photogenic updraft and anvil) is a perfect example of a storm maturing in an environment with no shear, hence no lean or shearing of its anvil. 

Ah...I see. Thank you! I'm not exactly an expert so I appreciate the info :D

I'm really pleased with those pictures. Got quite a few more I might stick in the gallery. 

Posted
12 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

DSC00805.JPGDSC00806.JPG

Looks like it was really trying but couldn't quite do it. Hard to see from the vid but rotation doesn't look very fast/fast enough to produce. Great find though!

Also, fantastic pictures in your other post. Well done!

Edited by Windblade

Posted
15 hours ago, Pursuer of Storms said:

P1790263.JPG

Yeah, the top of it looked just like a supercell (although we know it wasn't)! Lovely pics anyway. 

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 1

Posted

Think tomorrow afternoon/evening will be interesting, very active cold front moves through with frequent heavy showers/thunderstorms after moving through fairly quickly, will be interesting to see what occurs. :)

Edited by William Grimsley
  • Like 1

Posted

Supercell or not Windblade, it was blooming spectacular! Put all the other cells around it to shame. Wish I had got a better view of it. Discovered a spot later on where I probably would have had a perfect view of it from top to base but by that time, it was long gone. 

Looking forward to see what this week has in store!

Posted

Just been looking at the BBC Weather graphics, to me it doesn't show any sort of area of heavy showers/thunderstorms moving in behind, maybe the convection will be associated with the front? Potentially embedded cells?