Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 11/06/16 onwards

Posted

Really dark cloud to the west up here. Showers around but seem to be moving up rather than over us

Posted

Front garden flooded within the last 10 minutes, not had rain so intense here.. Ever. Never had the front garden flooded before

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and snow

it is quite in the English channel on real lighting maps so it looks another miss for the south and west getting a thunderstorms this summer as the south east of England always get them

Edited by tomdewey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.
4 minutes ago, tomdewey said:

it is quite in the English channel on real lighting maps so it looks another miss for the south and west getting a thunderstorms this summer as the south east of England always get them

Ouch, this is very IMBY! Obviously, you haven't remember what's happened in the SW recently...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and tornadoes

Only is we could drag the UK over to Belgium, sure they wouldn't mind lol 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Was hoping for supercells but got a rather large storm batter us in Norfolk (not sure if it was big enough to class as an MCS) but it started off with IC lightning way up in the clouds with distant rumbles then as time went on they got progressively louder. No CGs until i was just about to move off and bam a purple CG very quickly struck in front of me over the field and the thunder was different to all types of thunder I had heard. Sounded like bombs going off. Started heading back to Norwich from my chase spot just passed Sparham and wow the roads were flooded so quickly. Took only an hour and floods at a roundabout in Hellesdon where the drains couldnt cope which was like a fountain, drivers cautiously exiting the roundabout and got further down the road and there was a really bright flash and extremely loud bang, others I know even commented on it at the same time. A van parked in the drive started its car alarm. Went to vote and another CG right in front of me. A nice deep purple. Certainly wasn't a bust cause that moisture certainly dropped back down on our heads! Got some footage of the thunder got to check it first though...

Oh and it was the most flooded I'd seen the roads ever I think. Was blasting through water so much on the drive back.

Edited by Greeny
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
3 minutes ago, Greeny said:

Was hoping for supercells but got a rather large storm batter us in Norfolk (not sure if it was big enough to class as an MCS) but it started off with IC lightning way up in the clouds with distant rumbles then as time went on they got progressively louder. No CGs until i was just about to move off and bam a purple CG very quickly struck in front of me over the field and the thunder was different to all types of thunder I had heard. Sounded like bombs going off. Started heading back to Norwich from my chase spot just passed Sparham and wow the roads were flooded so quickly. Took only an hour and floods at a roundabout in Hellesdon where the drains couldnt cope which was like a fountain, drivers cautiously exiting the roundabout and got further down the road and there was a really bright flash and extremely loud bang, others I know even commented on it at the same time. A van parked in the drive started its car alarm. Went to vote and another CG right in front of me. A nice deep purple. Certainly wasn't a bust cause that moisture certainly dropped back down on our heads! Got some footage of the thunder got to check it first though...

You had more than us - I thought it would be over your way.

• Like 2

Posted

Great live stream video with sound of Sittard as the crazy storm approaches the restaurants, will be interesting what happens when the crazy storm arrives :)

https://www.webcamsittard.nl/index.php/en/camera2

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, MartinD said:

I think the people sitting outside and enjoying there drinks in Sittard are about to run for cover :-)

If you have your sound on you can hear the thunder quite clearly.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

If you have your sound on you can hear the thunder quite clearly.

Flashes now clearly visible on the webcam, and the square is (slowly) emptying.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

You had more than us - I thought it would be over your way.

I don't tend to stay put, it happened to end up IMBY but it did start with a chase to meet it.

• Like 1

Posted

Agreed.... Oh how i would love to be there right now with a cold pint of beer ;) 

• Like 1

Posted

Meanwhile, another cell is heading in my direction.  Nothing too intense, but suggestive of lingering instability.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
36 minutes ago, William Grimsley said:

Ouch, this is very IMBY! Obviously, you haven't remember what's happened in the SW recently...

The southwest compared to the east William is merely a slash in the wind bud. If you had a choice to live in an area purely on the decision of convective activity, would you really choose Cornwall or Devon over the likes of Kent or Lincolnshire? :blink2:

• Like 1

Posted

Love the gasp from those in the square when that close strike took place.  They're moving now as the rain arrives.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder / lightning, Freezing rain, snow, ice and blizzards!
14 minutes ago, MartinD said:

Great live stream video with sound of Sittard as the crazy storm approaches the restaurants, will be interesting what happens when the crazy storm arrives :)

Wow its like a war zone there now!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, chillyblast said:

Wow its like a war zone there now!

I think the worst has passed there now, burt that was pretty intense.:)

• Like 1

Posted

Just a quick look at tomorrows potential which still has some DLS albeit a little less than today forecast to slowly exit the east overlapping CAPE and there is supercell parameters in place for the midlands plus from west to east throughout the day significant tornado parameters forecast by Lightningwizard.com ..

Supercell param left mover.png

sig tor pot 12Z.png

sig tor pot 15Z.png

sig tor pot 18Z.png

• Like 1