Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 11/06/16 onwards

Posted
19 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Shock. It all did a right turn as usual at the last minute!! 

We could be in for sone thing later this afternoon rush hour ish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Belting it down here but no thunder, got woken up earlier with a bit of thunder and lightning. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything even slightly exciting & less Vanilla.
27 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Shock. It all did a right turn as usual at the last minute!! 

Yep, Even Kent missed out for the most part. 

I didn't go to the coast yesterday evening as I expected them to come to me.... Won't be making that mistake again !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

OMG, this sporadic drizzle is amazing! *sarcasm mode on* . Talk about failed on yet AGAIN.....

Posted

what a night - several bouts of very impressive storms overnight

woke up blurry eyed, and late for normal train - to find near all trains into London cancelled from Essex anyway as tracks flooded !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

OMG! Just had a VERY loud rumble almost above my head!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.
1 minute ago, Surrey said:

What a night, I'm sure for many it's one to rember..

Started seeing lightning at 10pm, went to bed at 2am and was still going!!

Wake up, and it's still bloody going!!! 

EPIC NIGHT!!

KABOOM!! 

Yeah - a very good night. Just heard another rumble. Certainly probably 2nd to the 2014 storm in terms of the best and most prolonged.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rain123 said:

Yeah - a very good night. Just heard another rumble. Certainly probably 2nd to the 2014 storm in terms of the best and most prolonged.

Could not belive our luck last night, what happened is the stuff over the channel made a blow before midnight I caught some close lightning off that but didn't go overhead. Then, as that line of heavy rain pushed further north over north Surrey etc, new cells exploded within it litrally we were in the tent in my garden with lightning over us to the left right behind in front it was pretty damn cool!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy in Winter, Cold and Wet in Summer

So, round one (almost) out of the way. Round two looks like it's bubbling up in the Bay of Biscay.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

A good night for many, but there's no doubt about it that Holland has hit the jackpot with this. They're on course for their 3rd or 4th MCS in a row :shok:

Posted
1 minute ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

A good night for many, but there's no doubt about it that Holland has hit the jackpot with this. They're on course for their 3rd or 4th MCS in a row :shok:

Is why I love Holland in summer :D Thinking of getting a holiday home over there hehe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

It was rumbling on and off between 0130 and 0245 this morning. Had a more frequent lightshow around 0200 with some very vivid IC lightning that seemed to be fairly elevated.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
13 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Yep, lucky buggers! Am glad quite a few saw some storms overnight. Still, not a patch on the 80's-90's events that I remember so well. The worst thing here is the flooding - and the bloody awful driving!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
18 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yep, lucky buggers! Am glad quite a few saw some storms overnight. Still, not a patch on the 80's-90's events that I remember so well. The worst thing here is the flooding - and the bloody awful driving!!

Agreed. That site shows the evidence of it too with the track of them! Crazy how many there actually was back in the 90's. 1997 and 1999 going by records were the most active. But even still, they were more or less an annual occurrence back then. 

P.S very severe cell reignited in Lille area. Candidate for a supercell for sure and will likely hit Brussels within the next hour. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted

Good to see that the regions that were expected to get storms, got them. Nice to see those who said things would stay over the other side of the channel, or only produce occasional lightning if storms did affect here, hold their hands up.  Yeah, not likely. 

Risk continues this afternoon for eastern England and the SE as strong heating of very moist boundary layer airmass (dewpoints currently 18c; Euro4 progging 19C) east of the frontal boundary generates several 100J/kg to 1000J/kg MLCAPE. Mid-level lapse rates steep at over 7C/km.  Sfc wind convergence, frontal forcing, and forcing aloft with upper trough and divergence with left-exit jet all providing means of lift.  

Deep layer vertical wind shear remains favourable given strong SW mid-level flow. Shear mainly unidirectional (little change in direction with height), however doesn't preclude risk of supercell development where speed shear can still induce rotation at mid-level. Large hail and strong downdraft winds the main risks here. Otherwise risk of moderate to strong, organised storms. Low-level shear a bit weak, so tornado potential somewhat inhibited. 0-3km storm relative helicity (SRH) starts of modest but increases toward late afternoon with increased low-level shear, so tornado risk heightened with any strong storms that develop and become mesocyclonic. 

Interesting period, hopefully. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Im loving the look of the bbc graphics for today. I finish work at 4 so might get out with the camera.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
45 minutes ago, dwalton said:

Not too bad a night for West Sussex.  It ended up all a bit further West. Certainly not a Kent clipper! Lightning pretty much all night. Best storms here for a good 5 years 

Oh no not the Kent clipper gag again. Kent we change the subject now please?

Well done you guys, looks like you had a good night..with more to come.

Posted

Happy to be wrong! Though that's probably the first time something of this nature has shifted west like that in about 50 attempts:p

As for today, East Anglia looking pretty good I think.

Edited by Azazel

Posted
20 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Happy to be wrong! Though that's probably the first time something of this nature has shifted west like that in about 50 attempts:p

As for today, East Anglia looking pretty good I think.

Never shifts north though, just does a 90 degree turn to the right over Essex! Considerably more humid than yesterday but dank and overcast as per. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Big storm growing out in the biscay area not really progged by estofex today.

Looks like there may be a westward shift giving the SE a bit more of a head on smash today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Looks like the SE got hit nicely last night, still no where near as bad as forecast and certainly no MCS as thought but still it looks like quite a few got some decent action, good luck for later!