Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 11/06/16 onwards

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Occasional rumbles from a cell east of here over SE London, new cell going up overhead.

Just returned back from Brighton where there were some angry skies late morning as a storm followed the coast.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
9 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Sun is shining, it's raining overhead and we also just had a rumble! What a wonderful day.

Sun?? I wish ... Monsoon here in bexley village. Has been for 20mins or so. Just slowing up now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
7 minutes ago, tomjwlx said:

Well I wasn't expecting that! Great looking storm as well.

DSC_0563.JPG

DSC_0565.JPG

DSC_0569.JPG

DSC_0571.JPG

DSC_0574.JPG

Looking fantastic, couldn't get any pictures, but heavy torrential rain followed by a flash of lightning!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Left is Bluebell hill, right is the cell approaching from the west. :) 

....Rumbling now. ^^

PANO_20160625_171556.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
9 minutes ago, Reevesie1 said:

Sun?? I wish ... Monsoon here in bexley village. Has been for 20mins or so. Just slowing up now

Yeah it's strange. I keep getting big breaks in the cloud where the sun comes through in between cells that have been coming from the west all day. Go another one coming now which just gave a loud rumble, although it's bright directly overhead.

EDIT - The sun has just gone is as I type and it's raining again complete with more rumbles. Shows how localised these storms are today.

Also can see a huge cauliflower tower to my southwest.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Just had a massive clap of thunder after a massive bolt of lightning. Made me jump out of my skin! Also more very heavy rain.

A very thundery year round here compared to the past few years..

Edited by LetItSnow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Just noticed a huge cb to my north as well now. They're everywhere!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

I've been loving your reports and pictures folks! Looks like some of you have had a spectacular day. Looking forward to hearing hubby's reports later from the Aire Valley. I got a great cycle ride in and saw the aftermath of last night in the hills. Big branches down and debris everywhere and you could see where the roads had been flowing like rivers. Quite amazing how different it is in a valley to up there - just like the Aire Valley really, which is why I love it I guess...

Edited by Spikecollie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spicy weather

Really stormy looking here now but nothing happening!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Cracking day once again!! Many joining in on the fun which is good to see :D 

poor old cat is still in hibernation mode an hour after the cracker we had here! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

A few rumbles distant but mostly heavy showers this afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Well what I can say about today, been a fantastic day :O must of had at least 5/6 different storms roll threw, 3 of them had lightning extremely close! What a great week its been!

• Like 5

Posted
8 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

I've been loving your reports and pictures folks! Looks like some of you have had a spectacular day. Looking forward to hearing hubby's reports later from the Aire Valley. I got a great cycle ride in and saw the aftermath of last night in the hills. Big branches down and debris everywhere and you could see where the roads had been flowing live rivers. Quite amazing how different it is in a valley to up there - just like the Aire Valley really, which is why I love it I guess...

Sounds like tornado damage.

Raining again here but rain clearly has a southerly slant to it but is coming from westerly cell???

Posted

Meanwhile thunder heard from west cell. Northern cb now has clearly defined anvil with cauliflower shooting over the cap, while southern cell has grown absolutely massive with multiple cauliflowers very high up. However, it seems strike activity has decreased rapidly in this past hour and although I've still heard a few nice rumbles I wonder if that's soon going to be it for today?

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
6 minutes ago, Stormyking said:

Well what I can say about today, been a fantastic day :O must of had at least 5/6 different storms roll threw, 3 of them had lightning extremely close! What a great week its been!

Yes, looks like it's been a great week for the IOW. Plume storms and some home growns. Despite the lack of warmth, convective activity has been good so far! 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Sounds like tornado damage.

Raining again here but rain clearly has a southerly slant to it but is coming from westerly cell???

Certainly the winds were strong up there. It's so sparsely populated that getting an actual report of rotation or a tornado would be hard, but there could have been one. There were reports elsewhere...

• Like 1

Posted

Lincolnshire ending the day on a good note I see!

Posted

I agree that it's been a great week. We've had everything from mcs imports to home grown pulse storms, fantastic nightime light shows, funnels, and some beautiful cloudscapes. Even today although I haven't visually seen any lightning, I've pretty much been hearing thunder all day and even witnessed rotation in what was imo a funnel cloud trying to form. The great thing is this week has been fairly widespread, with most parts getting in on the action. I hope the rest of our summer is like this.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I went on a local storm chase today, did not want to go far due to the pulse nature of the storms making it hard to chase them. Unfortunately it was the pulse nature of the storms that did make it almost impossible to get on to anything. The lightning detector would indicate there has been the odd sferic around here but nothing I managed to catch. Very much heavy showers with the odd rumble of thunder.

Where this year has been great for storm chasing it has been notably quiet IMBY. It just goes to show how one place can do very well where another does not. 

• Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Certainly the winds were strong up there. It's so sparsely populated that getting an actual report of rotation or a tornado would be hard, but there could have been one. There were reports elsewhere...

Yes, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure there were reports of supercells in northern france this week which if true could have easily produced powerful tornados. My guess is the damage you saw was the result of one. Glad everyone is safe.

Edited by Windblade