Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 11/06/16 onwards

After another lull it's reinvigorated to the E of here with long, crackly rumbles of thunder every 20-30 seconds or so. 

Posted

Very close that one. The cat has done one

Not showing on lightningmaps though

Edited by Odd Spot

Posted
12 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

Had an enormous, almost stationary cell break right over us here in west London over an hour ago and has been going strong ever since - just moving south now finally.

A whole series of enormous crashes of lightning/thunder, one of which appeared almost certainly to be a positive strike somewhere very close by. Almost immediate, sounded like an explosion, timed the rumbling just over 20 seconds, with some more distant rumblings another 20 seconds later.

Checked this site, which seems to suggest absolutely loads of positive strikes (and shows it moving south now and more negative strikes emerging)...

http://www.isleofwightweather.co.uk/live_storm_data2.htm

was a beast wasn't it strikes very close by one had me out the room!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

These cells are doing nothing here. The action seems to be to the west.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
2 minutes ago, Chloe said:

was a beast wasn't it strikes very close by one had me out the room!!!

Yep, second huge storm right over me here in a couple of months. A classic for sure: torrential rain, huge strikes, a strike a minute, including positive strikes... great stuff.

• Like 1

Great strike very close to here just now. Was fun to watch it pop up on Blitzortung's live lightning detector :D 

Not as frequent now though; that one took me by surprise as it had been a few mins.

Posted
1 minute ago, Windblade said:

These cells are doing nothing here. The action seems to be to the north west of london.

It was over west London. Kicked off over Hammersmith and Chiswick and hung around for a good hour before drifting slowly south.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Missing out again never mind.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
2 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

It was over west London. Kicked off over Hammersmith and Chiswick and hung around for a good hour before drifting slowly south.

Looks like it was a cracker on radar. I think today is going to be a bust for me. Just doesn't seem to be any convergence here unfortunately. Glad other people have had a good day though. Seems to have been a lot of action in some parts.

Edited by Windblade

Posted

Don't expect anything else here for the rest of the summer now, yesterday was insane and I doubt much will live up to it, report of a funnel being dropped from one of the multiple cells from that beast we got along with totals in a village called Fring 6 miles down the road reporting 49mm in 2 hours!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Then maybe up must high level lightning as I didn't see a flash but the detector went off and thunder followed a few seconds after.

Just now, The PIT said:

Then maybe up must high level lightning as I didn't see a flash but the detector went off and thunder followed a few seconds after.

I'm not seeing any CGs PIT. Plenty of flashes, mind. Only every 2-3 minutes at the moment now, though they are pretty close by again. Looks like it's from that intense cell to the east near Clowne.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
Just now, Delka said:

Don't expect anything else here for the rest of the summer now, yesterday was insane and I doubt much will live up to it, report of a funnel being dropped from one of the multiple cells from that beast we got along with totals in a village called Fring 6 miles down the road reporting 49mm in 2 hours!

Had a good one earlier this afternoon. Nothing on par with that beast you got yesterday though! 

North Sea crud has made it here now however and does a good job at killing storms! You know when that NE wind gets here it's game over under surface based conditions! 

Posted

Taking a moment to scan nearby countries for thunder and sure enough this thing is booming over the Netherlands like crazy! 

Untitled.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....

Ooh I wasn't expecting this, heard a few rumbles of distant thunder and getting really dark here. I'm being blessed this year with storms !

Posted
7 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Had a good one earlier this afternoon. Nothing on par with that beast you got yesterday though! 

North Sea crud has made it here now however and does a good job at killing storms! You know when that NE wind gets here it's game over under surface based conditions! 

Was radar tracking that the whole time it lasted, happy that you got anything over that way! The crud got here around 4-5pm and killed my hope of getting anything again, shame as we had some great cells near Kings Lynn heading my way again which could have brought me a repeat event of yesterday :nonono:

Posted

4 minutes ago, Stephen James said:

I'm not seeing any CGs PIT. Plenty of flashes, mind. Only every 2-3 minutes at the moment now, though they are pretty close by again. Looks like it's from that intense cell to the east near Clowne.

Not much in the way of flashes but the rumbles are continuing. Last one sounded quite close...but according to radars a few miles away which could be the ones towards Junction 30 of the M1

Edited by Odd Spot

Posted
8 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Not surprised, my one hour deluge yesterday had the 2nd busiest road within 5 miles completely under 2 foot of water and shut until the early hours!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Yep. Was good while it lasted and had the local coffee shop evacuated due to flooding. 

But yes, a southerly, southwesterly or southeasterly will set up some loaded gun conditions around here, anything northerly or northeasterly and you can forget it!! Lol 

Posted

I long for some longer lasting mcs rather than these hit and miss pulse type affairs we've seen so far this year.

Posted
7 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Yep. Was good while it lasted and had the local coffee shop evacuated due to flooding. 

But yes, a southerly, southwesterly or southeasterly will set up some loaded gun conditions around here, anything northerly or northeasterly and you can forget it!! Lol 

Can you even remember the last time we had a decent thunderstorm from a nice setup around these parts? :cc_confused: I most certainly can't! :nea:

Posted

Here in West Yorkshire,Bingley,grey overcast sky's for as good as 3 days on bounce lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

a light to moderate shower here, something more beefy firing to the north, but missing here to the east....ho hum

• Like 1