IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 11/06/16 onwards

Posted

Torrential rain wow

About 200mm/per hour from that shower raindrops were massive 

Edited by carl1980

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

All in all, not a bad day :) and more of the same tomorrow, except others may get a decent shot. 

Just an example of how thunder sounds from a positive CG strike, this video is a great example which I found! 

The last bit especially! 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, Chrystal said:

Great thunderstorm earlier today right overhead just in time for school pick up! Constant flashes and deep booming rumbles and never seen rain come down so fast. Just got home and saw a strike come down just behind house. Had left bedroom window open earlier and wind must have caught it and it was wide open. Had to put heating on to dry up carpet and my bed.  I don't think I'm normal I get frightened when I'm home but once I'm in my car I absolutely love it and can't wait to chase it and see some good strikes lol 

I am exactly the same, at home, scared stiff, in car, or even at someone else's house, even in a Vick of flats I feel safe....... Am I Strange, or is this quite common?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
14 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

All in all, not a bad day :) and more of the same tomorrow, except others may get a decent shot. 

Just an example of how thunder sounds from a positive CG strike, this video is a great example which I found! 

The last bit especially! 

No worky for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Estofex has a level 1 out for most of England tomorrow.

http://www.estofex.org/

• Like 2

Posted

I tried to ask this question the other day, but I had internet issues, and when I went to look for the question/answers I think it actually never made it on here!!

So, when we see lightning hit trees, chimneys, roofs, aerials, there's always damage, some very severe........

With the billions and billions and billions of CG strikes there are, when a bolt hits say, a concrete slab, or tarmac, grass etc, does it cause any visual damage? Sand gives a fulgarite, what about soil or any other sort of ground strike???

Cheers

Karl 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)
1 minute ago, Speedway Slider said:

I tried to ask this question the other day, but I had internet issues, and when I went to look for the question/answers I think it actually never made it on here!!

So, when we see lightning hit trees, chimneys, roofs, aerials, there's always damage, some very severe........

With the billions and billions and billions of CG strikes there are, when a bolt hits say, a concrete slab, or tarmac, grass etc, does it cause any visual damage? Sand gives a fulgarite, what about soil or any other sort of ground strike???

Cheers

Karl 

Of course, not sure what this is but its lightning damage to brick in Sri Lanka.

Picture-1358.jpg

Edited by Mesoscale

Posted
21 minutes ago, Speedway Slider said:

I am exactly the same, at home, scared stiff, in car, or even at someone else's house, even in a Vick of flats I feel safe....... Am I Strange, or is this quite common?

lol well I think I'm strange and I feel exactly the same as you but I think most people who are scared don't like being out in it and want to be in the safety of there homes. im absolutely petrified at home but then on Sunday I saw there was storms prob 10- 20 miles away on radar so went out to look for them an was extremely disappointed when they didn't last and saw nothing, earlier that day I did hear distant rumbles and was at my mum and dads house and wasn't scared sitting outside. As soon as I heard the thunder today I was shaking but ran out to my car and loved it despite it being an overhead storm I just don't understand my logic lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

The last bit especially! 

You can't beat the thunder from +CGs...this video is probably one of the best I've seen - key ways of identifying them for me are;

1. Often happen shortly before/after a thunderstorm arrives/passes

2. Rattling furniture

3. Incredibly loud, deep peels (and cracks during the peel that sound like a motorbike backfiring)

4. Thunder lasts a lot longer than a normal -ve bolt

Hope to get one more storm before this unusually long period of thunder passes (although that would greedy having been fortunate enough to have had 4 thunder days last week alone)

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
10 minutes ago, Speedway Slider said:

-ve bolt?

Negative (-ve) as in originating from the negatively charged region of a Cb

Here is another cool vid capturing a +CG (caution - don't listen too loudly through earphones and there's swearing at the very end)

Edited by Harry
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

Had a mini chase this afternoon!:) i could see cells building towards swindon about the time i was finishing work (circa 3pm) so decided to head that way see what happened. First stop was a bit of a letdown as it produced one flash near cirencester before looking like dying. but north looked a bit better and the a429 ran close parrall to the line so I headed along that and got a treat. Swear i was only driving for 15 mins but the scene totally changed to 'proper storm' with the sun shining onto an almost black core with ragged low base, occasionally lit by bright lightning which deigned to flicker with returns. Only saw about ten discharges as it rapidly collapsed but the best I've seen in while. Radar up to around 16:30 shows the merger of cells into a storm. This makes 4 storms for me this year, all chased down. Home town has barely had anything more than moderate rain! Couple pics from about 16:30 ish. Only phone cam sadly as was very improptu. Seriously tempted to go develop  a case of thunderchasyitis tomorrow seeing the forecasts...

20160615_164151.jpg

20160615_164424.jpg

20160615_164431.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
12 minutes ago, Harry said:

You can't beat the thunder from +CGs...this video is probably one of the best I've seen - key ways of identifying them for me are;

1. Often happen shortly before/after a thunderstorm arrives/passes

2. Rattling furniture

3. Incredibly loud, deep peels (and cracks during the peel that sound like a motorbike backfiring)

4. Thunder lasts a lot longer than a normal -ve bolt

Hope to get one more storm before this unusually long period of thunder passes (although that would greedy having been fortunate enough to have had 4 thunder days last week alone)

Yeah. You really do know about it when it is a +ve lightning bolt! Been known to be windowbreakers in the past too. But it really is incredible to hear. I think it would be held responsible for why people really are scared of thunder haha. 

It's often a metallic crashing kind of bang too if you know what I mean. I hope I get one tomorrow thinking about it now!! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

The last bit especially! 

Yep hate those loud ones when there near me. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Harry said:

Negative (-ve) as in originating from the negatively charged region of a Cb

Here is another cool vid capturing a +CG (caution - don't listen too loudly through earphones and there's swearing at the very end)

Had one like that in march two years ago, think I had a similar reaction, so did the car alarms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Not strictly on topic but it's a good example of how CAPE isn't the be all and end all of things. Here is a sounding from Lamont in Oklahoma:

LMN.gif

If you take a look at the bottom left, you can see the various calculated CAPE values, in the range of 5-6000 J/kg - pretty huge numbers. It was also a baking hot day with temperatures approaching 100F, with high dew points too. What did they get in terms of storms? Nada. Zilch. Zip. For those who are new to the whole storms forecasting thing, it's a good reminder that you can have huge amounts of CAPE but if there's nothing to trigger storms, or something significantly inhibiting initiation, then the instability is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

It rained so heavily yesterday during that deluge that  it's broken my " waterproof " Netatmo  out door module. Going out to try and fix it now so I can catch the minimum lol. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

And it's working again. 

• Like 1

Posted

Oh God I've just realised, I'm going to be distracted by the England game right at the peak time for convection, or  Vice versa. Nice planning lol.  Thank goodness I've got 2 radios. :-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Net/Wx SR take on today's showers.

a.pngb.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted

Lovely and sunny already here again like yesterday. 14.8°C 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Talking about cloud cover but some here, however many breaks in the cloud so looks promising so far!