Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 11/06/16 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
3 hours ago, MP-R said:

That thing is such a pain lol. If it could just be filled in as far out towards the sea as beaches start to become sandy not sh*tty ... Interestingly, it looks like the cells that were moving southeastwards from Bristol are almost turning back again, or backbuilding. The dark sky over Ben S's way seems to be nearing on me.

Managed to walk the dog and stay completely dry, could see the storms n the distance over the mendips.

All dying down now, another bust

Edited by SteveB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
22 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Wish I'd gone to Norfolk this afternoon!

Can I call bust on this week for the South? Despite repeated 'thunder risk' days our neck of the woods really hasn't seen anything.

On top of this I've even been travelling to Hertfordshire every day and was sure I'd see SOMETHING... But it really hasn't lived up anywhere near expectations for me.

I must say however that Tony's forecasts from UKWW have been very good - he hasn't hyped up the thunder aspect of things much and that's exactly what's happened.

really?.....maybe for your immediate locale, but on the whole, it's been very active with a rash of pulse-type thunderstorms over many parts of the UK & Eire......the shear amount of posts on here give a less than subtle clue...lol.........of course, it could be a conspiracy of monumental proportions and that all the hundreds and hundreds of posts have been bogus (1050 an still rising since friday) and the lightning detectors have been rigged by NW to get NWx subscriptions :wink:

• Like 1

Posted

Great thunderstorm earlier today right overhead just in time for school pick up! Constant flashes and deep booming rumbles and never seen rain come down so fast. Just got home and saw a strike come down just behind house. Had left bedroom window open earlier and wind must have caught it and it was wide open. Had to put heating on to dry up carpet and my bed.  I don't think I'm normal I get frightened when I'm home but once I'm in my car I absolutely love it and can't wait to chase it and see some good strikes lol 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Thunderstorm just passed through, quite gusty cool winds on the leading edge..rain was heavy but nothing like the absolutely biblical torrent that we had yesterday...mercifully. Flooding was really bad yesterday.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Pouring down once again after another interlude but unfortunately no thunder this time, however today's been a brilliant convective day in this part of the world, we shall have to see what tomorrow brings!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Beautiful cell developing to my NE.Thunder becoming more frequent now,but only seen 1 flash of lightning so far.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Big cell to the East of Brum back of Chelmsley Wood

IMG_4198.JPG

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Storms on the E coast were incredible earlier, look at the developments in 20mins!! 

Untitled1.png

Untitled2.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Some nice clouds bubbling up to my South.

20160615_183539_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
10 minutes ago, Raidan said:

As expected no storms here today just a shower around 3pm maybe tomorrow.

I wouldn't hold your breath mate!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

It just keeps on raining, flooding everywhere now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
23 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

really?.....maybe for your immediate locale, but on the whole, it's been very active with a rash of pulse-type thunderstorms over many parts of the UK & Eire......the shear amount of posts on here give a less than subtle clue...lol.........of course, it could be a conspiracy of monumental proportions and that all the hundreds and hundreds of posts have been bogus (1050 an still rising since friday) and the lightning detectors have been rigged by NW to get NWx subscriptions :wink:

I've tried to make the point that this is an IMBY opinion - clearly there have been storms all over the UK but by spending the last 4 days in this area and around london I can assure you we've had little in the way of lightning, thunder or heavy rain.

I'm not blind I can see all the posts in here - this also demonstrates my point that the areas around surrey and central London westwards really haven't had much convective activity - because people in those areas haven't been taking about seeing thunderstorms.

I'm not expecting a Spanish plume event because that's not what's been forecast but every day we've been at least partially in the slight risk zone and nada. Zip. Zilch. No thunder (ok maybe a rumble somewhere near Horley - but hardly a 'thunderstorm').

That was my point anyway ;-)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

LOL first thunder of the this thundery spell. I guess the cell got lost. Just to the south of me.

Posted

Great thunderstorm coming in from the NNE (a rare event looking to the south is normal) an hour ago CG`s but mostly sheet lightning,its here now and it stopped thundering as it was nearly overhead.

Heavy shower but not overly so unlike the torrential downpour at midday.

And there was 2 thundery showers before this came went either side,one crack of thunder joined it near overhead with lightning.

t

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Thu 16 Jun 2016 - 05:59 UTC Fri 17 Jun 2016

ISSUED 17:50 UTC Wed 15 Jun 2016

ISSUED BY: Dan

Once again, large upper trough sits over the British Isles, continuing to dig southwards across Iberia. At the surface, a slack pressure pattern results in areas of frictional convergence due to a small low centre. These convergence zones offer the best forcing for deep convection to generate heavy showers and a few thunderstorms, primarily pulse-type given very little shear, but as has been the case in recent days zones of more pronounced convergence can create a favourable environment, given 500-700 Jkg-1 MLCAPE, for more active thunderstorms with frequent lightning, at least for a time. 

High-resolution NWP output struggle to agree where such boundaries may lie, and in either case these are likely to shift during Thursday as well - it is likely that multiple convergence boundaries will set up, providing several zones of better thunderstorm potential.

A broad SLGT has been issued as a result, although worth noting that once again there may be quite a few areas within the SLGT that remain dry and lightning-free. There does appear to be a trend in most modelsfor an area of relative minima in terms of convection (and hence lightning potential) bound within a circle that connects Cambridge / Peterborough / Northampton / Luton - not to be taken too literally of course, but an interesting trend that might warrant a downgrade to sub-SLGT for this area.

Otherwise, once again the ongoing threat of local flash flooding remains given prolonged torrential downpours, especially when falling on increasingly saturated ground. Low cloud bases near convergence zones will produce the greatest opportunities for a few funnel clouds or a weak tornado.

654464.png

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2016-06-16

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Stopped now already two rumbles maybe three ah well never mind.