Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 11/06/16 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Well, didn't get any lightning yesterday somehow, but the intensity of that downpour yesterday was quite historical, we certainly haven't experienced rain like that for quite a while.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
3 hours ago, Raidan said:

Met office said severe or violent thunderstorms at least 3 or 4 times in their forecast this morning.

don't know why they are even though showers will be widespread the chance of lightning and storms is not so much as yesterday

this comes from www.convectiveweather.co.uk

Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Mon 13 Jun 2016 - 05:59 UTC Tue 14 Jun 2016

ISSUED 04:55 UTC Mon 13 Jun 2016

ISSUED BY: Chris/Dan

UPDATE 04:55 UTC SLGTs merged into one broader area, but considered a low-end/marginal SLGT, with many areas within likely to avoid lightning activity. Potential for a marginal-SLGT to also be introduced to parts of Ireland if confidence increases

A broad upper low will remain across much of the north Atlantic and northwestern Europe. On Monday a surface trough axis will be positioned along a line from southwest Scotland through East Anglia, providing convergence and added lift that should help to produce a zone of heavy showers and thunderstorms. Thermodynamics and surface moisture remain favourable in this zone for heavy convective showers, with 400-600j/kg of CAPE possible into the afternoon, although dewpoints will be slightly lower than on Sunday (12-13C rather than 14-15C). However, cloud cover and thus subdued surface temperatures could limit the coverage of thunderstorms, and the slight area will be re-examined during Monday for potential adjustments. The overall potential of thunderstorms does not look as high as on Sunday. Like the previous few days, deep layer shear remains almost non-existant therefore showers and thunderstorms will remain disorganised and messy. However, given the low level convergence any developing updrafts could still produce some weak funnels, also similar to the situation on Sunday. 

Elsewhere broad-scale ascent means that showers will be possible over a large area and some isolated lightning is not out of of the question, although lack of convergence makes that potential very low. 

anyone know where this line from SW Scotland to East Anglia is positioned I assume from location I am west of it

Edited by Gordon Webb

Posted

@Gordon Webb, tbh no offence but I am really getting fed up of all this "I hope I'm north, east, south, west of the risk", you need to experience these thunderstorms, please take advice and act on it.

Edited by William Grimsley
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, William Grimsley said:

@Gordon Webb, tbh no offence but I am really getting fed up of all this "I hope I'm north, east, south, west of the risk", you need to experience these thunderstorms, please take advice and act on it.

I only asked a question , just because you haven't experienced the weather you want don't take it out on me NO OFFENSE meant there either

• Like 2

Posted

Oh, I've experienced thunderstorms big time recently (2014), I'm not taking it out on you, not sure where you got that from? Just listen to people's advice and experience these wonderful thunderstorms. :)

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, William Grimsley said:

Oh, I've experienced thunderstorms big time recently (2014), I'm not taking it out on you, not sure where you got that from? Just listen to people's advice and experience these wonderful thunderstorms. :)

by recent I was were referring to last 10 days when you have to admit you have been out of the firing line , I will concede however that my constant going on about I hope I'm out of the risk areas can get irritating to people who do like storms so will refrain from that in the future but I was only asking where this risk zone was as I have a disabled relative who I'm taking to hospital this afternoon so was trying to gauge possible severity of the weather and prepare for the journey my fear of thunderstorms had nothing to do with that question

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
3 minutes ago, William Grimsley said:

I think William has a valid point. I understand what it's like to be afraid of storms as I used to be terrified, and yes you get a little obsessive about where and when they might occur so a forum like this is an ideal place to get that information, but posts saying how much you hope they won't happen aren't really what this forum is about - and the only way I got over my thunderphobia (or whatever it's officially called) was to sit out with my dad on a hill in Ireland and watch a storm approach. It was fascinating and changed they way I thought about severe weather and just wishing the storms away wouldn't have done that.

however, everyone is different and if you don't like storms and just don't want them to happen then fair enough but please consider that this is an enthusiast's forum so please only moan if you missed a good storm, not if you got one or there's one heading towards you cos that in itself offends all the people on here who like them! ;-)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

play nicely please folks, and a bit of a advice is to proof read one's posts before hitting the 'submit' button to help minimize possible misunderstandings ....thanks :)

Posted
11 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I think William has a valid point. I understand what it's like to be afraid of storms as I used to be terrified, and yes you get a little obsessive about where and when they might occur so a forum like this is an ideal place to get that information, but posts saying how much you hope they won't happen aren't really what this forum is about - and the only way I got over my thunderphobia (or whatever it's officially called) was to sit out with my dad on a hill in Ireland and watch a storm approach. It was fascinating and changed they way I thought about severe weather and just wishing the storms away wouldn't have done that.

however, everyone is different and if you don't like storms and just don't want them to happen then fair enough but please consider that this is an enthusiast's forum so please only moan if you missed a good storm, not if you got one or there's one heading towards you cos that in itself offends all the people on here who like them! ;-)

I understand the point that was made and have taken it on board and have already stated I would refrain from doing so in future and I understand this is not the place to constantly moan about storms and my desire to avoid them this is a forum for people who like them about developments and reporting and unless I have to something to say on that regard I won't post

I just thought the post could have been worded a little differently that's all but I have taken no offense and hope no offense was taken by anybody else from my replies or all previous posts when I was going on about my desire to avoid storms

Edited by Gordon Webb

Posted

Is there a day that goes by that there's not a risk of storms? Tired of it at this point.

Posted

Tired of what if I may ask

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
13 minutes ago, JMTD said:

Is there a day that goes by that there's not a risk of storms? Tired of it at this point.

I think you're in the wrong forum!

• Like 3

Posted

We have been spoilt in my area for storms this week. Yesterday I drove from Stevenage to the letchworth / Hitchin are before following the storm East. Roads were like rivers and there was frequent CG strikes.

looks like a repeat for today and tomorrow but I doubt I will be that lucky again! Expect Midlands and Lincolnshire will be the best place today. A couple of pics from yesterday ... 

image.jpeg

image.png

image.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
3 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

We have been spoilt in my area for storms this week. Yesterday I drove from Stevenage to the letchworth / Hitchin are before following the storm East. Roads were like rivers and there was frequent CG strikes.

looks like a repeat for today and tomorrow but I doubt I will be that lucky again! Expect Midlands and Lincolnshire will be the best place today. A couple of pics from yesterday ... 

image.jpeg

image.png

image.png

That last pic, how close?!!! And the one above it - hitting the chimney!

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 1

Posted

Keeping my fingers crossed that we get something down here in the deep South Hams this week:)

Hardly had any rain whatsoever in the past 5 or 6 weeks, other than the odd bit of light rain or drizzle. Not that I would welcome flash flooding, but you know what I mean!

Posted
19 minutes ago, Gordon Webb said:

I understand the point that was made and have taken it on board and have already stated I would refrain from doing so in future and I understand this is not the place to constantly moan about storms and my desire to avoid them this is a forum for people who like them about developments and reporting and unless I have to something to say on that regard I won't post

I just thought the post could have been worded a little differently that's all but I have taken no offense and hope no offense was taken by anybody else from my replies or all previous posts when I was going on about my desire to avoid storms

Don't worry hasn't offended me in the least - you provide good observations about current conditions in a lot of your posts which I appreciate and that helps others in determining what may or may not happen weather-wise, so keep up the good work in that regard

hope the weather doesn't affect your journey later on today, I don't think you'll be in the firing line according to estofex which seems to play things down today. However, in these situations (like yesterday) the weather will do what it wants - so you're right to be cautious - but I don't think we're lucky enough in this country to have severe enough electrical storms for it to be too much of a problem on a day-to-day level.

but severe drizzle? Now THERE is a reason to worry... ;-)

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Gordon Webb said:

Tired of what if I may ask

Tired of waking up every day to see another day of storms. I've always found it incredible how many people moan in this country how we get nothing anymore considering there's not many days in the summer that go by without the risk or something popping off 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
13 hours ago, virtualsphere said:

Friskney Show: Funnel cloud lifts inflatable slide - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-36511051

Apologies if already seen, couldn't see a link to it in here.

If there's damage on the ground, however slight I personally wouldn't call it a funnel, funnels do not touch the ground. That was a weak tornado, which would have been easier to spot in the states due to dust, if it wasn't raining heavy obviously. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, JMTD said:

Tired of waking up every day to see another day of storms. I've always found it incredible how many people moan in this country how we get nothing anymore considering there's not many days in the summer that go by without the risk or something popping off 

I've lost count of how many times I've been told (or it's been strongly suggested) that Godalming will have a thunderstorm in the last month and we've had maybe 2 rumbles...

unless it's a good plume situation these storms just don't seem to happen unless I drive for miles to intercept them so I dismiss 90% of these risk days from the off.

my hopes are fragile and easily broken

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
5 minutes ago, JMTD said:

Haven't had a single one. However plenty of fog and drizzle in the mornings. A few heavy showers and heavy overnight rain last night. At least this time we haven't brewed a storm for someone else which normally happens.

Posted

The front sat across the country today is trying to move north, a rash of showers has formed over N England which seem to be wanting to move south, so there certainly seems to be mixing and movement in the air, albeit it rather cool this morning.

Posted
1 minute ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I've lost count of how many times I've been told (or it's been strongly suggested) that Godalming will have a thunderstorm in the last month and we've had maybe 2 rumbles...

unless it's a good plume situation these storms just don't seem to happen unless I drive for miles to intercept them so I dismiss 90% of these risk days from the off.

my hopes are fragile and easily broken

Just now, The PIT said:

Haven't had a single one. However plenty of fog and drizzle in the mornings. A few heavy showers and heavy overnight rain last night. At least this time we haven't brewed a storm for someone else which normally happens.

I'd say goodluck on hopefully getting some mate but I can't stand storms so hopefully none :D although I'd happily let you both take them if it meant keeping them away from Cambridge. In fairness we've avoided almost everything so far which is crazy considering how close we've come to them all this summer, more so yesterday with that monster just below us. God seems to be hearing my prayers right now haha.

Posted
15 minutes ago, JMTD said:

Well, until last week and not counting the pulse storm we had in mid april our last storm in my neck of the woods was the middle of last summer, (that was about the only storm I saw last year to boot, which turned out to be a very disappointing year for storms in my area) so you'll forgive me for hoping we get as many storms as possible! Lost count of the amount of times storms were forecast in my area over the past couple of months when we got nothing at all at that time. After much disappointment I am relishing the prospect of storms everyday!

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
47 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Brontophobia :friends:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
56 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

When it comes to storms, I love the lightning but hate the sound, always have been the same. 

• Like 1