Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 11/06/16 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

That's all folks, maybe a few stray sferics in NW Kent but time for bed. It's been a blast!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
2 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Can you see that huge cell to the north (I'm guessing from your location)?

Unfortunately i don't have a great view to the north from sutton high st. Looks nice on radar. I can see a few towering cu to the south. I think its probably too little too late for here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
4 minutes ago, IanR said:
Just now, John Hodgson said:

Unfortunately i don't have a great view to the north from sutton high st. Looks nice on radar. I can see a few towering cu to the south. I think its probably too little too late for here. 

just looked at the ustream tower bridge live cam, can see the london  storm  at the back of canary wharf skyscrapers , the lightning is very infrequent though

Oh man, I'm almost out of light here but can still make out the clouds - just. Looking over that way it looks real dark (yes, I know it's dusk, but the clouds in that direction do look ominous from what I can see).

Yeah, almost dark here. Can just make out the CB to my north west now but it's not doing anything. I think that may be it now for today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Some nice big flashes in the white cloud tops earlier - looked awesome. Seems to have stopped now though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

old Peterborough cell is giving it another go over Norfolk! Could make out a distant flash or two until it got misty! 

Been a corker of a day for quite a few! 

More potential tomorrow and this week too. I'm a happy bunny at the moment!! :yahoo:

• Like 4

Posted

Heard thunder here and now just seen several strikes of lightening ... rain is getting heavier ....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
2 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

old Peterborough cell is giving it another go over Norfolk! Could make out a distant flash or two until it got misty! 

More potential tomorrow and this week too. I'm a happy bunny at the moment!! :yahoo:

Not seen or heard anything apart from drizzly rain on the conservatory roof all evening. And my canine StrikeAlert says nothing within about 40 miles as he's currently snoring on the sofa. This constant dull overcast set up is a ruddy pain in the proverbial, the sun makes a brief appearance at 5pm and that's it. 

• Like 1

Posted

Incredibly envious watching those towering CB clouds to my north and east, with the sun setting it looked pretty spectacular. Did manage a thunderstorm here a discrete small cell although the rainfall was the main chunk it was absolutely biblical.

Spectacular capture... :) 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold
5 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Yeah there was a flurry of sferics detected north of Brandon but seems to have stopped for now. You never know what will happen, it could suddenly kick off again north or south or east of it. Best to keep an open mind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

Another good storm! turning out to be a cracking season here! If not very warm and sunny...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Just looking at the 500m nw radar,is it me or is Norfolk in the low res and why?

Posted

I have two clips,the first one has finished

the process of evaporation from the tree's on the hillside

wait until you see the second one:D,still uploading

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

A  coupla minutes' rain and all the gutters are overflowing - no thunder!:)

Posted
16 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

A  coupla minutes' rain and all the gutters are overflowing - no thunder!:)

Ed, do you have thunder:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

With hindsight shoulda chased today, but had engagements so it wasn't possible.

I'm working at Potters Bar tomo which is on the edge of the marginal according to convective weather.co.uk so hopefully another day of something more organised like today.

i've really had enough of the messy short-lived storms of late and hoping for more mature storms to develop this week - it's now the season for it after all...

Such a shame the initial forecasts didn't pan out for storms to track a little more southwards, but at least it's just the beginning of a week of good potential so here's hoping I can catch something without having to drive miles and miles out of my way...

fingers crossed!

Posted

God,these uploads take for ages,26 minutes.

Posted

Ok,the first clip was some minutes earlier^

now here is the second clip,you can see the rapid development of that cloud within minutes and also you can see the different directions the clouds take

again we didn't have a storm here today,but i am not too dis-heartened because the cloud structures over the last few days has kepted me entertained and there is plenty more opportunities in the days ahead,plus looking at the latest models there could be another plume at the end of next week/weekend and beginning week after,i keep my chin up and be patient:D

good storm darn sarf today though:clap:

any footage anyone?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I went out chasing again yesterday. Initially intercepted the Midlands cells as they approached and moved over Rugby and then headed south down the M1 chasing storms all the way from Northampton to Essex! Some fantastic lightning on offer again, not to the frequency as those this past Tuesday but every bit as photogenic. I stood for around half an hour near to Epping Forest watching IC crawler lightning to the east against a black/red sky and a rainbow (the sun was setting behind me as the storm moved away). Some particularly intense lightning observed to the south of Bedford once more, there must be something about that place this week :D

One thing that was not so much fun was the water on the roads. Some of the flooding was a bit hair raising and it was clear that these storms were dumping a lot of water. I have not had chance to read any reports but I would not be surprised to hear about problems around the southern Midlands and the Home Counties/London today.

Now I have to be up in 4 and a half hours for work so best get to bed. At least I have another large dose of video to edit, I can't wait to see how my shots of IC lightning in front of the rainbow come out. Also have a mixture of daytime and night lightning thanks to the cell that tracked along the northern portion of the M25 and on into Essex.

I have to say, I am rather impressed by June so far. I have not seen one so active by this point, not even 2014 which was very good between the 6th and the 10th. Considering we have another week of thunderstorm potential this month is pretty impressive.

EDIT: Just read the reports regarding rotation on the MK cell. Unfortunately I was behind this particular storm and so was unable to get a good view of the front of it and was stuck filming it on the dash cam due to heavy traffic on the M1. However, I will check back through my footage when I get to edit it and see if there were any signs of rotation. 

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Raidan said:/

Met office said severe or violent thunderstorms at least 3 or 4 times in their forecast this morning.

Were for?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

One of the many...

IMG_0482.MOV

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and tornadoes

My weather station here in Worcester is having a busy time, since the rain moved in just under 1 hour ago the rainfall total is at 14.7mm oh how i'm going to enjoy my 10 minute walk to work this morning lol