Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 11/06/16 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
1 hour ago, Greeny said:

Before the 12Z run on GFS it was looking quite good for this time of the day for our area but when the update for the 12Z did happen the potential moved south so I'm guessing that we will probably just get a moderate shower now. We had a shower this morning for about 5 mins it was moderate to heavy but most of this recent potential period we have missed out. However worth taking a look at tomorrows potential later anyway. Just the way things go, we have good years and bad years.

I think perhaps a bad year for Norfolk! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

That new cell south of Harlow has my name on it. Winds locally moving S/E, very moody and impressive looking skies

Edit to add: Now the sky has turned pink!!!!!

Edited by Wet'n'Dry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
4 minutes ago, Wet'n'Dry said:

That new cell south of Harlow has my name on it. Winds locally moving S/E, very moody and impressive looking skies

Edit to add: Now the sky has turned pink!!!!!

I have a huge cell rapidly approaching from my west. Pink on the right side of it and amber on the other! I would take some pics but the phone is off and charging. Its just started to pour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Massive bolt of IC lightning just now to my west but didn't make any thunder?!!!??? Whats going on?????? Saw it out the corner of my eye, unless it was tv reflecting in the window?

Edited by Windblade

Posted
3 minutes ago, William Grimsley said:

Not a bust, but it wasn't exactly as forecast was it? We seem to forecast very over the top here.

Nothing over the top about today's forecasts. But there's something decidedly over the top about your weather observations and expectations ahead of storm risk days.

Might want to dial down a tad?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.
Just now, weather09 said:

Nothing over the top about today's forecasts. But there's something decidedly over the top about your weather observations and expectations ahead of storm risk days.

Might want to dial down a tad?

Don't agree, when you get a torrential downpour causing flooding very quickly then no.

Posted

Thunderstorm just starting here. Clear to the south, dark as night to the north!

Posted

Absolutely torrential rain now, massive drops. It was dry 10 mins ago! And as I type a huge IC strike right infront of me and instant thunder. No doubt about it this time! :yahoo:

Posted
3 minutes ago, Jason H said:

Thunderstorm just starting here. Clear to the south, dark as night to the north!

Yep, its heading straight for you mate, enjoy! :D

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Amazing afternoon in Milton Keynes today. Nearly two hours of lightning and thunder and biblical rainfall that caused surface flooding in places. Thunder was incredibly loud again, must have been a lot of positive strikes. Couple of pics below of the menacing clouds before the second storm hit. Couldn't get any lightning shots was raining to hard to go outside. image.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

Definitely an elevated storm, mostly IC lightning and long deep continuous rumbling thunder. Reminds me of my wife :girl_devil: and again, flash bang as I type!!

Posted

Lovely flash and peel from this pop up cell here...not entirely sure how Blitzortung has translated that in to half a dozen sferics lol

There's two separate showers with two distinct updraughts - one which caused the sole flash/peel about 5 mins ago and another barrelling largely straight at me. Got some decent height in the anvil so am surprised there hasn't been a few more flashes to be honest

Edit - LOOOOL - as soon as I hit save on that last post, three violet IC strikes shot across the sky :rofl:

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Posted

Still on one strike so far but was pretty much right above my garden and very loud but also very short.

Posted

it was over the top for  the north west though ,    even helen willets on last nights beeb foracast had those lightning flash symbols dancing all over the area for today, and they did it last night too,  she even had that omg voice......quote.... 'the north west again...in for some TORRENTIAL downpours and thunderstorms' ,

she then showed a large puddle in a back street on a housing estate in stockport :rofl:,  now, just becuase that happened , the whole north west is at high risk,   the reality is not much happened again.  not her fault , just relaying ott information about the severity and extent of thunderstorms,   then again its cry wolf as far as i am concered , very rare they get storms right for this part of the world  ,      btw we have has 5 thunder days this year,  even though they have been relativley tame storms, which mean our average annual qota is maxed out ,    so anything now in 2016 will be a bonus      rant over

Posted

Locally it's tracking S/E. It might even make it to Gravesend/Sittingbourne. Very active with 2 strikes per minute and some great thunder!

Posted

That's 4 flashes and rumbles now...coming to life now! Yay!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Looking to get a direct hit out of that cell if it carries on it's current track....here's hoping!