Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 11/06/16 onwards

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Just too far north for anything here today. Looks like another dreary dull day coming up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Been lightly raining since 8am here. Overcast and cool. Does not feel stormy in any way, although after the hot and humid week we've just had I welcome this nice cool weather for a little while.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Holy smokes! Just had an extremely intense torrential downpour! I have not seen rain that heavy in a long, long time! Surprisingly, there was no lightning but I expect conditions aren't right for lightning today.

Edited by William Grimsley
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
7 minutes ago, William Grimsley said:

Holy smokes! Just had an incredible torrential downpou! I have not seen rain that heavy in a long, long time! 8.2 mm of rain fell in 14 minutes, rainfall rate of 142.2 mm/hr at 12:53! No lightning but I expect conditions are not right for lightning today.

ELT'S are sufficient enough for hail production. I'd expect sferics later on, moreso further East through the afternoon.

gfs_el_eur6.png gfs_el_eur9.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Great storm here yesterday. I'd guess at 40-50 rumbles of thunder before I headed out and followed the cell for a while. Around an inch of rain had fallen in less than an hour which lead to lots of flooding on the roads and turned slow flowing streams into rapids. Forgot my camera unfortunately, so couldn't get any pics. 

Looking forward to the possible activity over the next couple of days! 

Posted

Light and patchy rain most of the morning, just had our first heavy shower large rain drops

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Tell you what, that torrential downpour has completely removed my thunderstorm hunger, that was good enough without! :D

• Like 1

Posted

Brief heavy shower quickly passed but no strong winds or anything so not a squall. Now we on the other side of the front will the sun come out and provide some needed heating???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Kind of stuck in the middle. Knew the front approach would be timed wrong. If it would've arrived later, that convective window over Lincs and Norfolk could've really gone bang further south and west, but then if it had gone through quickly, things to the south and west could've got going earlier. It really is all about luck most of the time. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted
28 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

ELT'S are sufficient enough for hail production. I'd expect sferics later on, moreso further East through the afternoon.

Hail formation is more tied to how much CAPE there is and/or how steep lapse rates are in the mid-levels, where more CAPE means potential for strong updraft speeds and likelihood of keeping hail suspended aloft for any length of time. ELTs will give you possible cloud top height, and a tall storm is more likely to have some hail associated with it, but there are factors that can inhibited hail formation and it reaching the ground.  Instability, moisture and shear the three main factors to look at when gauging storm severity and all hazards they may pose.

Edited by weather09
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Very heavy one-clap storm in early afternoon. Six thunder-days so far.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Currently at MeadowHell (not through choice..)in Sheffield with heavy rain above.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

That shower over near Hereford is the one I'll be marking and may look to intercept later, should it really blow up. It looks like it will hit the likes of huntingdon and mid Cambridgeshire as it stands later this afternoon. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold
8 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Kind of stuck in the middle. Knew the front approach would be timed wrong. If it would've arrived later, that convective window over Lincs and Norfolk could've really gone bang further south and west, but then if it had gone through quickly, things to the south and west could've got going earlier. It really is all about luck most of the time. 

We have later by the looks of it, as the potential moves eastwards and time moves on theres a chance of some lingering MLCAPE into the evening. Cambridge and Huntingdon looks like a good spot to me.

Posted

Some sunny spells now need to get thew temps lifted still only 15.9C

Posted
3 minutes ago, Greeny said:

We have later by the looks of it, as the potential moves eastwards and time moves on theres a chance of some lingering MLCAPE into the evening. Cambridge and Huntingdon looks like a good spot to me.

Think that's where I'll head to. I'll get driving down the A1 soon to the A14 and see what happens from there. May well go on into the likes of Suffolk/Norfolk if things get exciting! 

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, weather09 said:

Hail formation is more tied to how much CAPE there is and/or how steep lapse rates are in the mid-levels, where more CAPE means potential for strong updraft speeds and likelihood of keeping hail suspended aloft for any length of time. ELTs will give you possible cloud top height, and a tall storm is more likely to have some hail associated with it, but there are factors that can inhibited hail formation and it reaching the ground.  Instability, moisture and shear the three main factors to look at when gauging storm severity and all hazards they may pose.

Thanks w09! :)

• Like 1

Posted

Some nice breaks creeping in from the West, that'll favour areas later this afternoon?!

Screenshot_20160612-135748.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

Some nice breaks creeping in from the West, that'll favour areas later this afternoon?!

Screenshot_20160612-135748.png

How far West is the showers likely to form, basically any around these parts?

Posted
3 minutes ago, SteveB said:

How far West is the showers likely to form, basically any around these parts?

Showers are cropping up all over the place but you may be a bit too far West. Pixels popping up Slightly East of Bristol and South of Swindon, a slow burner, but that's good.

Screenshot_20160612-140405.png

• Like 1