Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 1st June onwards

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
16 minutes ago, interested & confused said:

Thick cloud all morning but not a spit of rain :( cloud is pointless without rain * grumble, fed up with watering, grumble* 

I was about to then it started raining:yahoo: All I need now is a super cell to develop over my street and that would wash my car for me too:good:

• Like 1

Posted

The storms here yesterday came over separately twice in the afternoon, some at 3-4pm then the main round at 6:30pm. The first bought some huge hail 1-3cm with some very gusty winds and huge cracks of thunder. The second was a surprise bonus. The bonus round included the sky suddenly plunging into complete darkness making it look more like midnight then 6:30pm. It started with some of the brightest flashes and then the rain came on, all the streets in the town were flooded in a matter of about 10-15 minutes, constant flashing and about a minute of hail halfway through. It was a very scary experience, luckily nobody was hurt and only 6 properties in the town were actually damaged in this. So basically, one of the biggest short thunderstorms I have ever seen, very sudden, biblicial rain like I really have never seen before and some stupidly large hail and gusty winds. I had fun trying to chase the first storm but had to pull over because of the hail. 

Edit: The closest weather station yesterday apparently recorded 47.2mm of rain yesterday afternoon

57c1df2806d27_2016-08-27(7).png.5b1bc15daddf9403ff20b6acac9e2c92.png

Edited by Delka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

It's been showery here, got one just arriving that looks like a storm, bet it's just heavy rain though lol.

Posted

some they dark clouds  to the south  of me looking  like a thunder storm  over the  river  might  be  heading this  way

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hi guys, 

Is there anything in this talk of a storm next weekend? 

Mal 

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

Looking threatening in Sudbury , low dark grey clouds , but having a funny feeling that it will pass without murmur ....we shall see ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It's tonking it down...No thunder but who cares - it's the rain that matters!:yahoo:

Posted

Well tentatively hopeful , lights in house are on .... Maybe just maybe ....some rain ! 

Posted

I hope you get lucky, LM...I think we all need rain just now? Good luck!:D

Oi! Since when has Somerset been in the Sarf East!:rofl:

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted

Ah ... Been found out. Oops, okay I need to update my location, ...or at least explain . During the term time (I'm in education don'tcha ya know) .... I'm  in Somerset, so that is correct and in the hols and weekends I'm in Sudbury . I hope to make Sudbury my permanent residence soon . 

At this moment in time I'm in Sudbury and it's really making up for yesterday's no show in the rain dept anyhow ..... Maybe the odd the rumble ...but anyhow it's cracking rain and watering my sweet peas and petunias ! 

Edited by littlemissy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

It's tonking it down...No thunder but who cares - it's the rain that matters!:yahoo:

I have to agree with your comment about the rain Ed. Whilst I don't mind my garden shrivelling up through lack of rain (as garden plants are replaceable and now my 3 x 50 gallon water butts are empty I won't use the tap), it does concern me when on my walks I see lots of wild bushes and trees starting to show distress through lack of water. We really need a few hours of steady rain here in Suffolk - a passing shower is useless, it evaporates before you can blink! Today's clouds have been wonderful to admire, but haven't delivered the goods here.

20160828_135505_resized_1.jpg20160828_181345_resized.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Currently the average high in August has been 23C here, average is 21.9C and last July was 22.8C so not bad going! About time we had a good August. Pull your weight August, September can't always bail you out! :D

• Like 1

Posted

And it's hammering it down...Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain!:yahoo::yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
21 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

I have to agree with your comment about the rain Ed. Whilst I don't mind my garden shrivelling up through lack of rain (as garden plants are replaceable and now my 3 x 50 gallon water butts are empty I won't use the tap), it does concern me when on my walks I see lots of wild bushes and trees starting to show distress through lack of water. We really need a few hours of steady rain here in Suffolk - a passing shower is useless, it evaporates before you can blink! Today's clouds have been wonderful to admire, but haven't delivered the goods here.

20160828_135505_resized_1.jpg20160828_181345_resized.jpg

I have also been noticing how dry the road verges and field margins have been of recent - obviously, dry flower spikes on flowering plants and seed heads on grasses are to be expected at the end of August, but there is a distinct lack of green at present.  Fortunately, we've had a few moderately heavy showers today which should help (and top up our butt as well).

• Like 2

Posted

It is absolutely tonking it down, the noo...But I think we need it...as you say, the verges are brown...The longer it hammers on my roof, the happier I will be.:D

• Like 1

Posted

Judging by the radar a huge amount of rain approaching Cambridge right now.....it always seems to pass where I live, maybe due to the Gog Hills nearby? But looking like a deluge is approaching here

Posted
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

It is absolutely tonking it down, the noo...But I think we need it...as you say, the verges are brown...The longer it hammers on my roof, the happier I will be.:D

And its getting heavier, really slamming against the window now.Hasn't done much to take the heat off though even though its been raining over this way for a good couple of hours.

I am just idly wondering if it would be good to make porridge in a slow cooker over night and if that would make it very smooth and creamy.

Posted
3 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

And its getting heavier, really slamming against the window now.Hasn't done much to take the heat off though even though its been raining over this way for a good couple of hours.

I am just idly wondering if it would be good to make porridge in a slow cooker over night and if that would make it very smooth and creamy.

Well, JJ - it's eased off a bit here, just now. But that creamy porridge is somewhat enticing...Do you put salt in it?:D

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Well, JJ - it's eased off a bit here, just now. But that creamy porridge is somewhat enticing...Do you put salt in it?:D

Maybe it is a squall line right across the Triangle as Mark Wheeer just said because its all gone quiet here now.

I don't know about salt, I was thinking of chopping up some apple and then milk and brown sugar. I remember my grandfather used to have it with water and salt.

Posted
4 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

Maybe it is a squall line right across the Triangle as Mark Wheeer just said because its all gone quiet here now.

I don't know about salt, I was thinking of chopping up some apple and then milk and brown sugar. I remember my grandfather used to have it with water and salt.

Not the Triangle of Doom? :shok:

AS far as the salt in the porridge is concerned, my entire maternal ancestry is Scottish - Gair, Andrews and Ross (we all got evicted in the Highland Clearances!) - folks names can still be seen on church windows... Och well, who gives a sheet?:80:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Just got soaked by this little beast lots of local flash flooding too.IMAG1304.jpg

IMAG1297.jpg

IMAG1303.jpg

• Like 1