Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 1st June onwards

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Same here, not bad at all. Today so far it feel warm, cloudy with sunny spells and a few light spot of rain every now and then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Wind howling yet again here with a lot of cloud, but feels warm, especially in any sunshine which will hopefully increase soon. 

Posted

When are this weeks storms supposed to start, got a very nice sky now ac cas every where, the most pre storm looking sky I've seen all year. Probably won't do anything mind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

presently in Oxshott Surrey and the sun is poking out and it feels positively tropical!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
47 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Certainly going to be a hot week down here!  :yahoo:

Glad I have this week off work hehe :) Looks good for our region this week, am a bit anxious about the weekend, still very mixed signals at this range. Hope you get to enjoy the weather, Surrey. Will help bring those melons on!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

very mild and windy here. Managed to get part of our watering can into next doors garden and it flew a fair distance to where we were watering. Don't ask !!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Another day over 24c here, 26c in Southend, countless days of this making it feel like a very good summer, esp July onwards.

Clouds gone, proberly the best feeling day this week before all the humidity sets in.

Hopefully we get the sea breeze.

• Like 1

Certainly feel that temperature going up over today as the warmer and humid air begins to set in.

Please ignore the few in the model thread that don't really have a scoobie when it comes to weather. (I say that a lot I know) I like both hot and cold weather, but there seems to be a few that pull the worst runs to spoil it for everyone.

I'm sure @Blessed Weather will be along shortly to give a better idea on this week, but despite the moan and groan about hot weather, I'm looking at this week with interest as it might turn out to be the longest consecutive amount of days we go above 30c for a long time 2-3 days even 4! That's pretty good going for the UK and in the last end of August!! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Quite a lot of cloud here this afternoon, still the temperature has climbed to 24C.

Hotting up tomorrow and remaining hot through the middle of the week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
44 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Sunny, muggy and too hot - 24C!:cray:

So you think its to hot today, lol...
You wont be a happy bunny the rest of the week, in fact nor will I....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

i am hoping the seven day forecast is out. 25C at 1am? on yer bike. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

With 2 outdoor events to attend over the weekend the weather gods were kinder than I was expecting and although very windy at times ( especially Saturday ), both events were thankfully rain free in this neck of the woods. Sunday afternoon even saw enough in the way of sunny spells to have me reaching for the sun lotion.

This afternoon has seen a return to near perfect summer conditions here and quite frankly I'm looking forward to the rest of the week and the forecast heat, albeit brief.

August really has been a very decent month here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
3 hours ago, Surrey said:

Certainly feel that temperature going up over today as the warmer and humid air begins to set in.

Please ignore the few in the model thread that don't really have a scoobie when it comes to weather. (I say that a lot I know) I like both hot and cold weather, but there seems to be a few that pull the worst runs to spoil it for everyone.

I'm sure @Blessed Weather will be along shortly to give a better idea on this week, but despite the moan and groan about hot weather, I'm looking at this week with interest as it might turn out to be the longest consecutive amount of days we go above 30c for a long time 2-3 days even 4! That's pretty good going for the UK and in the last end of August!! 

Thanks for your kind words @Surrey . I do sometimes wonder if I'm boring everyone by always posting charts, but I'm of a vintage prior to the Internet and from a time where there just wasn't the massive quantities of free info we now take for granted. Being a life-long weather freak I just love being able to mull over and analyse all the charts and forecasts at our fingertips! :)

So... not to let you down, here's the latest forecasts from Arpege and NMM high res models. This afternoon's 12z Arpege run has slightly eased back the max temps for us, in particular for the hottest day, Weds. Yesterday it forecast 31C widely around the Region. Today it's 30C and for a smaller area - more in line with what the Beeb/Met Office are suggesting. (I've not shown the charts, but note NMM is still going for 30C widely on Weds, with several locations hitting 32C).

Here's the Arpege temps charts at 17.00. Note how the heat is pegged back to the eastern half of the Region by Thurs:

Tues Arpege Mon12z Temp Tues23Aug 17.00.png Wed Arpege Mon12z Temp Wed24Aug 17.00.png Thurs Arpege Mon12z Temp Thur25Aug 17.00.png

Then with regard a possible thundery breakdown, today's forecast suggests this will start on Weds evening. The Met Office Fax Chart for midnight Wed (Thur 00.00) shows a trough straddling the Region.

Fax Chart Thur 00.00 Met Off Fax Chart Thur25Aug 00.00.jpg

The risk of thundery outbreaks continues through Thurs and into the small hours of Fri morning:

Wed 23.00 Arpege Mon12z Precip Wed24Aug 23.00.png Thur 11.00 Arpege Mon12z Precip Thur25Aug 11.00.png Fri 02.00 Arpege Mon12z Precip Fri26Aug 02.00.png

Although a few days to go - so caution needed - some decent CAPE & LI charts support the suggestion of prepitation being thundery. The areas of high (red) CAPE values (Convective Available Potential Energy) showing the atmosphere fairly unstable, and the negative LI (lifted index) suggesting sufficient convective lifting of hot air parcels to kick things off. 

Wed 15.00 NMM Mon12z CAPE & LI Wed24Aug 15.00.png Wed 20.00 NMM Mon12z CAPE & LI Wed24Aug 20.00.png Thur 14.00 NMM Mon12z CAPE & LI Thur25Aug 14.00.png

So all in all, an interesting and enjoyable few days of weather coming up! Unless of course you hate heat and storms, in which case it's looking pants! :)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
45 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Thanks for your kind words @Surrey . I do sometimes wonder if I'm boring everyone by always posting charts, but I'm of a vintage prior to the Internet and from a time where there just wasn't the massive quantities of free info we now take for granted. Being a life-long weather freak I just love being able to mull over and analyse all the charts and forecasts at our fingertips! :)

So... not to let you down, here's the latest forecasts from Arpege and NMM high res models. This afternoon's 12z Arpege run has slightly eased back the max temps for us, in particular for the hottest day, Weds. Yesterday it forecast 31C widely around the Region. Today it's 30C and for a smaller area - more in line with what the Beeb/Met Office are suggesting. (I've not shown the charts, but note NMM is still going for 30C widely on Weds, with several locations hitting 32C).

Here's the Arpege temps charts at 17.00. Note how the heat is pegged back to the eastern half of the Region by Thurs:

Tues Arpege Mon12z Temp Tues23Aug 17.00.png Wed Arpege Mon12z Temp Wed24Aug 17.00.png Thurs Arpege Mon12z Temp Thur25Aug 17.00.png

Then with regard a possible thundery breakdown, today's forecast suggests this will start on Weds evening. The Met Office Fax Chart for midnight Wed (Thur 00.00) shows a trough straddling the Region.

Fax Chart Thur 00.00 Met Off Fax Chart Thur25Aug 00.00.jpg

The risk of thundery outbreaks continues through Thurs and into the small hours of Fri morning:

Wed 23.00 Arpege Mon12z Precip Wed24Aug 23.00.png Thur 11.00 Arpege Mon12z Precip Thur25Aug 11.00.png Fri 02.00 Arpege Mon12z Precip Fri26Aug 02.00.png

Although a few days to go - so caution needed - some decent CAPE & LI charts support the suggestion of prepitation being thundery. The areas of high (red) CAPE values (Convective Available Potential Energy) showing the atmosphere fairly unstable, and the negative LI (lifted index) suggesting sufficient convective lifting of hot air parcels to kick things off. 

Wed 15.00 NMM Mon12z CAPE & LI Wed24Aug 15.00.png Wed 20.00 NMM Mon12z CAPE & LI Wed24Aug 20.00.png Thur 14.00 NMM Mon12z CAPE & LI Thur25Aug 14.00.png

So all in all, an interesting and enjoyable few days of weather coming up! Unless of course you hate heat and storms, in which case it's looking pants! :)

Superb thanks blessed weather . I read your posts often and it's a fine contribution you make . One that I envy . I only post sometimes in here but always read . Thank you . Starting to feel closer now my house is always too hot so it will be uncomfortable for a few days . A sacrifice I'm more than willing to make to get some lovely outdoor weather . 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

Here we are sitting here Monday night and in relation to Thursday onwards we really still don't how how things will pan out. For example the arpege gives a high in the low twenties for my location, whilst the GFS/NetWx-MR give temperatures in the low thirties.

viewimage.pbx?type=nmmlo;date=20160822;t

Such a fine line with respect to how far north and west the heat gets.

So tomorrow looks hot and sunny, Wednesday looks hot and sunny, Thursday could be hot and sunny or cool with rain/thunderstorms, Friday looks mostly fine and warm, possibly very warm still. Then we have Saturday where we could see the continental heat return with the risk of some elevated storms along the warm front pushing north from France. A real mess with no real consistency from the models though the GFS seems to be more positive in terms of heat.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
Removed charts from quote to shrink post.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I think I'd rather Thursday was cool with thunderstorms...IMO, this summer has been far too Betty Swollocks!:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

^ Many thanks for your kind words @Mark wheeler. :)

A quick look at the latest Arpege charts this morning shows little change from the 12z charts I posted yesterday. But the Met Office Fax Charts do give a clue about the timing of the hottest air being shunted off to our East. The chart for midnight Thur (Fri 00.00) shows the advancing Cold Front has yet to cross our Region, with a trough very close to the East Anglian coastline, hopefully pepping up thundery outbreaks. By Fri noon the Cold Front has finally cleared the far SE corner, clearing the rain away to give a very pleasant day, with temps still hitting a very respectable 23C - 25C.

Fri 00.00 Met Off Fax Chart on Tue for Fri26Aug 00.00.jpg Fri 12.00 Met Off Fax Chart on Tue for Fri26Aug 12.00.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Absolutely lovely morning here, cloudless skies, 25C already and that awful wind has finally gone. 

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted

Lovely day today, a high so far of 24.4, heading downwards now. A very slight breeze in the air, perfect weather.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Absolutely beautiful weather here! Not a single cloud in the sky, also very warm, with temperatures rising very quickly; 27.4C so far. 

• Like 2