Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 1st June onwards

Methuselah

Posted
2 hours ago, Surrey said:

Looks like the south East could have a blinding day and miss all the rain!! 

Not quite all the south east , we here in thanet have had quite a few heavy downpours since approx 8am and still sporadic now, according to the radar a few more are brewing as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Not a bad morning - sunny spells and 17C here at the mo, although some interesting looking cumulus already starting to bubble up. The Sat24 image shows a similar picture across the Region and you can pick out the cumulus responsible for the heavy showers in the SE corner.

Cloud 10.05 Cloud Wed15June 10.05.jpg Rainfall 10.05 Radar Wed15June 10.05.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 hours ago, Surrey said:

Looks like the south East could have a blinding day and miss all the rain!! 

Was a lovely morning with lots of warm sunshine, finally! But that has now sparked some torrential showers, absolutely huge raindrops, very impressive. Need a half hour dry slot so I can sow my carrot and beetroot seeds lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
6 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Was a lovely morning with lots of warm sunshine, finally! But that has now sparked some torrential showers, absolutely huge raindrops, very impressive. Need a half hour dry slot so I can sow my carrot and beetroot seeds lol.

Looks like something is brewing here. Carrots are in a pot and a foot high.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

BOOM!! Thunderstorm over Herne Bay :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and cloud formations

Currently watching this towards the west grow bigger by the minute. 

Very pretty sky, but to the S/SE its getting darker.

_20160615_145237.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

MM not sure. Can't make out what way the clouds are moving on the radar as it looks like they are just growing and not moving far.:cc_confused:  This is not good with school run a minute away

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and cloud formations
4 minutes ago, Dami said:

MM not sure. Can't make out what way the clouds are moving on the radar as it looks like they are just growing and not moving far.:cc_confused:  This is not good with school run a minute away

I no, I'm looking all around me and its not really moving but seems to be growing! School run should be interesting NOT!! :-/ 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

A decent day so far, warm with sunny spells, one cloud did produce a few spots of rain on the walk home. Temperatures up to an average 21C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

One moderate shower here, but a huge comma-shaped arc of storms over N/NW Norfolk and N. Cambridgeshire at present.  Can see one of the glaciated anvil heads from here!

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman
Correcting typo.

Posted
51 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

One moderate shower here, but a huge comma-shaped arc of storms over N/NW Norfolk and N. Cambridgeshire at present.  Can see one of the glaciated anvil heads from here!

I've been watching that arc of storms on the radar. Amazing how it grew from nothing to a very active line of storms with frequent lightening in under an hour. Also interesting to watch today was how many of the storms around disappeared just as quickly!

16.05 Radar Wed15June 16.05.jpg 17.00 Radar Wed15June 17.00.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Been dry all day here in dover, lovely sunny weather, caught some showers while on the bus to canterbury though, and one in canterbury while waiting for the bus home. None of those were thunderary. 

Posted

Absolutely torrential rain, hail, thunder and lightning here in west Cambs at the moment. It's fab (apart from our garden has flooded).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, Surrey said:

Glorious day here in Hillingdon West London, sunshine all day and a fantastic end to the day here too..

Like I said earlier most of the region stayed dry! The morning showers faded 

Tomorrow looks a little diffrent..

Amazing that just down the road from Hillingdon, Staines had two extremely heavy rain showers and thunder today. Lovely morning though! Tomorrow looks interesting....:shok:

Posted

A largely dry day a few showers the past and week and beyond has been rather marked for its abundance of downpours many of which were electrified - not a bad start to convectice season here, while southwestern USA is going into the furnace, much more comfortable, tolerable temperatures here can't beat an English summer, although there are signs of something more hotter I find 20c perfect, personally.

Edited by Daniel*
Fixed typo
  • Like 1

Posted

Must have been a lot of showers today, at one point I was surrounded, but they all missed:closedeyes: 16c at the moment, still look surrounded:shok:

Edited by lassie23

Posted
13 hours ago, Surrey said:

Glorious day here in Hillingdon West London, sunshine all day and a fantastic end to the day here too..

Like I said earlier most of the region stayed dry! The morning showers faded 

Tomorrow looks a little diffrent..

10 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Amazing that just down the road from Hillingdon, Staines had two extremely heavy rain showers and thunder today. Lovely morning though! Tomorrow looks interesting....:shok:

Living in Surbiton but working and having my son at school in Hillingdon, these differences are often apparent, especially when there is snow in the winter! I can leave a dry Hillingdon and meet dark skies and flooded roads as I advance along the M25 and up the A3, or vice versa. 

This convective spell hasn't really delivered much for Surbiton; there are some stunning cloudscapes that seem to offer so much, yet the radar shows all the action out of reach time and time again, the best being a few rumbles a week or so ago, and some heavy convective showers since then. It's pouring with rain out of a grey sky right now. 

• Like 2

Posted
11 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Today and tomorrow do indeed look interesting, with the bulk of the heavy shower activity forecast to move over our Region. The Met Off are going for the west of our patch seeing the action today, and then tomorrow the entire Region in with a chance of seeing a storm. A look at the NMM cumulative rainfall charts up to midnight today and then up to midnight Friday shows many places could easily see over 25mm (1 inch) of rain. It's been a very wet week for many. Lassie's melons must be fed up with all this water! :)

To midnight today NMM Cum Precip to midnight Thurs16June.png To midnight Friday NMM Cum Precip to midnight Fri17June.png

Edited by Blessed Weather
Not sure why the second image posted smaller than the first. They both look OK when viewed full size.
  • Like 2

@Blessed Weather a lot of water is no good I agree, but here in North,Surrey we have had a fair few showers this week with the warmish conditions and sun it has provided optimum growing conditions for the plants, I mean I'm 2 weeks my 2" tall runner beans are now at the top of the climbing frame and the Atlantic giant pumpkins are about 3-4" in diameter already!!! Don't get me started on the rhubarb JESUS! 

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Today and tomorrow do indeed look interesting, with the bulk of the heavy shower activity forecast to move over our Region. The Met Off are going for the west of our patch seeing the action today, and then tomorrow the entire Region in with a chance of seeing a storm. A look at the NMM cumulative rainfall charts up to midnight today and then up to midnight Friday shows many places could easily see over 25mm (1 inch) of rain. It's been a very wet week for many. Lassie's melons must be fed up with all this water! :)

To midnight today NMM Cum Precip to midnight Thurs16June.png To midnight Friday NMM Cum Precip to midnight Fri17June.png

They are starting to wilt and it's raining again here:closedeyes:

• Like 1