Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread 25/5/16 onwards

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Very well predicted by the Netwx model, should expect to see showers form east of this current shower.

• Like 1

Posted

Clear blue skies here and 25c. Been a luverly day. No sign of any clouds....thankfully.

Posted

Just a quickie, but the clouds are starting to go up to my south now... just as I've lit the bbq.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Just to west of that cell, where's the lightning though?

Ok, now raining, wind has really picked up!

Torrential rain now, the drops are huge!

Edited by William Grimsley
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Wow stormageddon. Not.

Sitting in a field near Basingstoke. Thinking of calling it a day soon, 22°C here and I don't think it's very humid anymore.

Will keep an eye out for the next 30 mins but doesn't look like any things happening anywhere around me.

Posted
2 hours ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

False strikes. There were a few earlier in the North Sea too. Usually happens when there are powerful storms over Europe like today. I always cross reference them on the rain radar to see if it marries up to any cells.

Like Steely Dan say "Thunder only happens when it's raining"

It was Fleetwood Mac, but thanks!

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like a shower formed just south of somerset's cricket ground (cracking game in the end) just got finished in time though so it seems before the showers erupted there

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms
26 minutes ago, William Grimsley said:

Just to west of that cell, where's the lightning though?

Ok, now raining, wind has really picked up!

Torrential rain now, the drops are huge!

Patience! A few strikes were had earlier and it may further grow, plus there should be a few more cells to pop up yet within the area! :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Was a nice cell that, torrential rain lead to rivers going down the roads! Now back at Smeatharpe Airfield waiting to see if I can see any lightning from that cell! :)

Looks like it's died! Off home then me thinks!

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Was gonna say it's died a death here but I do see very faint cumulus on the distant horizon possibly near Winchester.

could just be another tease tho and I'm getting restless now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

In my opinion give it until around 9pm, light starts fading, and nocturnal cloud top cooling starts kicking and in my opinion this definitely givees things a boost, so dont be surpised if showers/storm fire up towards dark!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder

Earlier posts make comments on the air being too dry, good point.   The showers need that trigger for more widespread activity, looking at the next few days I think Monday/Tuesday will be best
but on the whole it will be warm and sunny rather than thundery.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

At last,a sferic  reasonably close. My apps are still down though.  1 app says 10 miles  actually.  

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Meanwhile in bexley...(crickets). What small cumulus there was earlier has either dissipated or moved away.Clear skies here and very warm. Don't see any signs of stormy weather on the horizon, quite literally. Is it me or am I just imagining a decade ago we used to get loads of intense storms in these parts and at this point in the year would have already seen quite a few MCS by now? The last storm I saw round here was back in mid april, which was a short lived pulse storm that approached from the south in the evening. It only lasted 20 mins although it did contain some lovely pink fork lightning and thanks to netweathers radar I knew it was coming and got to see the whole thing from start to finish. I've been patiently waiting for the next one since then but even though many have been forecast, I've not seen a single thing here. :-( I need my storm fix!

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
2 minutes ago, Alison Jeffrey said:

Torrential rain for last 30 minutes. Just had 2 flashes and rumbles 5 minutes ago. Rain easing off now.

Where are you? :-)

Posted
9 minutes ago, Alison Jeffrey said:

Oh sorry, it used to say it in my profile till I lost my password! Ainsdale, Southport.

Oh right not far then. My thunder hating friend who lives there won't be happy.

Edited by Chris.R