Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread 25/5/16 onwards

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms
9 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

jeez, i remember that beast H.......it bulldozed right through dorset/hants and here.....a flash per second, I thought I was a rave party with those strobes...lol

Sorry but as i moved down from Yorkshire the storms will avoid The IOW and South Coast!!!! You just watch lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Ok, over 400 lightning strikes in the past 20 minutes now... Unbelievable!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Very similar to yesterday here. Total cloud coverage. Thoroughly cool, but thankfully the drizzle is no more. 

Posted
59 minutes ago, Harry said:

80 strikes in 20 mins??? Pah! That's nothing old bean - remember this event from last year? This was kicking out about 80 strikes per minute :D 

IMG_0475.JPG

Classic that was and fully quenched my thunder drought.

I spent the evening sat up in a field near my house with some beers and a radio with a couple of other friends waiting for the storms to fire. By the time i saw the first flash out of the corner of my eye, I was steaming drunk and couldn't operate my camera for the life of me.

Would've got some amazing pictures otherwise but we were right underneath the action, in the middle of an open field..which in hindsight was incredibly reckless, but blimey it was awesome

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
10 minutes ago, Paul said:

This is the biggest day I've seen. 

gallery_2_889_60450.jpg

ah, 28th june 2012......storms of god-like proportions!....elevated multicell beasts spitting out fireworks and surface based monsters dumping fist sized hail and spawning several tornadoes.....what a day!... absolutely amazing!

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

ah, 28th june 2012......storms of god-like proportions!....elevated multicell beasts spitting out fireworks and surface based monsters dumping fist sized hail and spawning several tornadoes.....what a day!... absolutely amazing!

Oh, and you see that thunderstorm over me, I slept through it...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
1 minute ago, ajpoolshark said:

And I missed out on it all! I've been trying to forget about that day.  

Posted
27 minutes ago, William Grimsley said:

@staplehurst, are you guys going to be issuing a warning for us later?

Hi William,

They're seen as more 'forecasts' than 'warnings' per se - we leave that to the Met Office. Right now I'm currently in Wichita KS so my colleague Chris is looking after things while I'm chasing state-side, not sure what his availability is like with shifts etc.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

to be fair, the elevated storms over the SW were but mere cloud farts compared to the monsters we endured in the Midlands, and later on that day over in Lincs/leics

• Like 2

Posted

I'm envious of those living in northern Brittany right now. I'd presume the thunderstorms tonight will come from the instability that's originated off the surface based thunderstorms this afternoon?

Altocumulus Castellanus cloud over Plymouth now: http://192.171.163.3/view/viewer_index.shtml?id=38994

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

So far today we've had clear skies, then small bit's of cas, and dissipating cas. Now we have clear skies again, but something which looks a bit like more to the west, but can't really tell what type of cloud it is from here. Maybe cumulus or ac, perhaps. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Flash Elvis said:

Oh look at the SE....No Storms Club or what!!!

Was this the infamous 'el brumo' by any chance??

Yes was very much a drought for the SE that day - steaming hot! Was absolutely stunning a day that day, over 3000 CAPE with LIs of -9/-10, just no trigger (until you reached Cardiff and Midlands northwards)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Was this the infamous 'el brumo' by any chance??

Yes was very much a drought for the SE that day - steaming hot! Was absolutely stunning a day that day, over 3000 CAPE with LIs of -9/-10, just no trigger (until you reached Cardiff and Midlands northwards)

Indeed this was the day of El Brumo. What a stunning event that was. Really quite dark even at 8am in the morning with some of the heaviest rain I have seen and very frequent lightning. I remember the main roads being very quiet as everyone either tried avoiding the storm or pulled over as the rain was so bad!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Costa Del Fal said:

Indeed this was the day of El Brumo. What a stunning event that was. Really quite dark even at 8am in the morning with some of the heaviest rain I have seen and very frequent lightning. I remember the main roads being very quiet as everyone either tried avoiding the storm or pulled over as the rain was so bad!

And a rare Moderate from Nick F too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I'm not buying in to what Mr Hugo says. From my POV, any potential significantly wanes overnight, and the area of rain will scatter and fade in to lighter areas of rain during the early hours. I do hope i'm wrong of course, but I don't see anything that excites me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.
2 hours ago, Harry said:

80 strikes in 20 mins??? Pah! That's nothing old bean - remember this event from last year? This was kicking out about 80 strikes per minute :D 

IMG_0475.JPG

This was epic. Remember driving along the M4 at about 1230am which was like a river. Lightning was incredible. Although I didn't turn my GoPro on until I got to Swindon! Amateur mistake.  

Anyhow, I am free to chase tomorrow/Saturday if need be. Sticking around in Bristol hasn't brought me anything this year, yet!

Edited by Karl83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Really looking forward to any isolated monster thunderstorms tonight/tomorrow. 

Have been either side of outbreaks the whole of last year, last decent storm I can remember was the unexpected ones on Friday 17th July 2014. Edit: it was actually 18th July 

Long overdue a good storm here. 

Edited by tomp456

Posted
3 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

Really looking forward to any isolated monster thunderstorms tonight/tomorrow. 

Have been either side of outbreaks the whole of last year, last decent storm I can remember was the unexpected ones on Friday 17th July 2014. 

Long overdue a good storm here. 

Yes, they were fantastic weren't they!

Posted
37 minutes ago, Harry said:

You sure about that, Harry? Vaguely remember MLCAPE of around 1000-1500J/kg mainly toward E Mids/eastern England. CAPE in excess of 3000J/kg over UK is rare to say the least.   

Early morning to very early afternoon on June 28 '12 saw MCS push NE across Wales/Midlands, then from early afternoon under clearing skies strong heating of very moist air mass developed moderate instability, resulting in severe thunderstorms including a couple or more supercells which pushed over Leics and Lincs. This was combined with a favourable wind shear profile, where sfc winds were backed ahead of shortwave impulse and cold front with veering and strengthening winds all the way up to 500mb.  No one factor stood out as extreme, but was a good combination of CAPE/moisture/shear that brought the goods.

Edited by weather09
  • Like 1