Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread 25/5/16 onwards

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Looks like Londons storm shield is back online. Theres literally a ring of storms around it on netweather radar, all moving away!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Any chance the storms kicking off more due to the tops cooling off?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
2 minutes ago, Ellozee said:

Cheers, always do mate! Enjoy whatever's your end of Kent too. I'm sure we'll have a few evening like this before summer's done and through.

Lets hope so mate! I was beginning to think this year would be a dud, but today has lifted my spirits and brought new confidence we may yet have a good stormy summer!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Looks like Londons storm shield is back online. Theres literally a ring of storms around it on netweather radar, all moving away!

Gutted!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Absolutely pathetic, and it's colder now than the early hours of the morning. Goodnight. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mesoscale said:

Any chance the storms kicking off more due to the tops cooling off?

I was wondering the same, although I have a feeling that may be it for me tonight. All in all though a good day for many parts and it was nice to see some proper action at last!

Posted

we have just taken some amazing images of momantus clouds out side. just had a massive flash of lightening i think we are in for one hell of a storm

the images i will put up later

LO

Posted

No movement in the sky above me here, it looks like it's trying to kick off but the radar is suggesting any showers are easing off around the Essex Coast. I can't see the storms over Kent making it here either.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well done local forecast which showed a dry day for us. Bang on. Well done for those that had some weather today. Good night folks

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

We had a fun time a while ago near Oxford, woo hoo! I haven't heard thunder so close for ages, what a cracker. Gorgeous lightning. Absolutely massive drops! And round two is just kicking off now.....

Posted
18 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

Rain heavy a.f near Horsham.

getting off lightly on the coast

Yep it's all happening here now,  thunder, lightning and rain

3 minutes ago, Wivenswold said:

No movement in the sky above me here, it looks like it's trying to kick off but the radar is suggesting any showers are easing off around the Essex Coast. I can't see the storms over Kent making it here either.

i feel your pain! above picture of rn

Posted
7 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Well we cropped a fair bit earlier on as much as id love to have it all. East Kent might be having some pretty bad flooding problems I notice those heavy echoes lingering around.

Posted
17 minutes ago, Nick F said:

While storms were moving from the S or SW earlier this afternoon ahead of the upper trough approaching from the SW, now much of central and southern England + Wales is the other side of the trough steering winds (roughly 500mb) are from the W or NW with storms now moving slowly E and SE!

viewimage.png

Indeed, strange that the BBC weather are still liking the idea of further storms moving north, from the south. (for the south east of England):cc_confused:

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Fellow London residents should look toward the storms over south Midlands / Oxfordshire coming this way, if they don't die out beforehand, everything's moving E And SE now as the upper trough slowly clears NE. Stronger NWly flow aloft should help sustain storm activity overnight as atmosphere is still warm, humid and unstable.

• Like 3

Posted

In east Kent, rain getting fairly torrential now, it's just building more and more. Some noice pink lightning too.. I remember a couple years ago I read on this forum that Saharan dust in the atmosphere could lead to the lightning appearing coloured? Not sure how much truth there is in that, but this has been yellow/red not blue/white.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and thunderstorms.

I'm willing the Kent storms over to the Surrey Hills, just hope they've got enough oomph left in them when they get here. 

(Yy, I know I'm being greedy but daytime storms are a bit of a waste, IMO. Lightning looks so much better at night)

Just now, Nick F said:

Fellow London residents should look toward the storms over south Midlands / Oxfordshire coming this way, if they don't die out beforehand, everything's moving E And SE now as the upper trough slowly clears NE. Stronger NWly flow aloft should help sustain storm activity overnight as atmosphere is still warm, humid and unstable.

should i be concerned that it feels colder than it should or is it of no worry at all. I just went outside, feels like a cold early morning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

Hi all,  

after  going up to the Wye fields to try and get some nice storm clouds(without success :nonono:) , we were welcomed by the storms around 6pm-ish and have put together clips from my recordings I did as the storms got closer.

The storms are still raging away right now but I've stopped recording otherwise I would be here all night probably :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zb84a-WjEY

• Like 1