Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread 25/5/16 onwards

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Storms are avoid Darlington at the moment very warm and humid here no breeze either so any storms which do break out could be slow moving

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
25 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

For anyone that isn't too sure the trough is currently sat in the approx position below. Expect developments either side of this as it moves eastwards.Trough.png

I'd expect developements ahead of it but I'd have thought the air would be more stable behnd it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

When this mini storm is finished, and the rain and cloud clear, its going to be unbearable humidity out there. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Gordon Webb said:

I'd expect developements ahead of it but I'd have thought the air would be more stable behnd it

The trough is actually aiding convection, however, not stabilising the atmosphere behind it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
6 minutes ago, Gordon Webb said:

Not neccessarily so, because the trough itself is lower pressure and after the passage of the trough the air is forced upwards. Not quite sure how it works I'm still learning too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

My Mum just texted me. Apparently we have a bad storm in n.e bexley right now. Thunder and lightning literally above my house. My friend has also had thunder and lightning in sevenoaks. I'm in london at the moment. Typical! Hope it tracks this way.

What are the chances we might get a second storm this evening when I'm home to enjoy it?

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Like being in a tropical country today - haze all around but can just make out the tops of clouds, including an anvil and some towering Cu/AcCas 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms of any kind, Snow

Wow! T + L still going here along with light/ moderate rain, at one point had 3 bolts of forked lightning within a few seconds of each other in completely different directions...spoilt for choice :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted

Speaking of the Trough, recent radar runs seem to suggest intensification over Dorest/New Forest. Interesting as the satellite shows clouds breaking up?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and anything unusual

the cell just south of Edinburgh has died so hopefully a new one spawns behind it still pretty optimistic about today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Yep thought so the cell to the west of me has died a death.  Saying that more are popping up all over the place so not over yet.  I am away to sit in the garden and enjoy this weather being off work today!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
5 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Not neccessarily so, because the trough itself is lower pressure and after the passage of the trough the air is forced upwards. Not quite sure how it works I'm still learning too.

It will be interesting to see if we end up with any storms crossing near the Bristol area. Looking at the charts and radars I personally feel we may be that little bit too far to the W/SW. Certainly not ruling it out though - the area is still within the risk zones.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
42 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

For anyone that isn't too sure the trough is currently sat in the approx position below. Expect developments either side of this as it moves eastwards.Trough.png

being picky, but I think you have the trough is wrong position, it's further west and on more of a pronounced SE-NW axis than you're image by 50-100 miles....doesn't sound much, it gives a more accurate indication for thread viewers on where showers/storms may fire along and slightly ahead of the trough :)

Trough.png.d098bed77bb8e16c827d538aef78a74d.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Think that bexley storm is going to miss me here in brixton. Loads of cells approaching from the south however. Looks like everythings kicked off around the 12 mark - a lot earlier than I anticipated. As someone else said it feels tropical today!

Posted

France always have it better, don't they? 52 strikes a minute from a half hour old storm :rofl:

Southsea area 3.PNG

Edited by SnowMania
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.
1 hour ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Well so far so good - at work near Watford and looking to finish at 1:30 if I'm lucky and then it's not far to the M1 / M40 junctions dependant on where I need to go (if anywhere). Have plenty of work to do on my laptop so the plan is to find somewhere open to sit and wait for some action.

I'm open to suggestions for where to go to get the best vantage - ideally I'd like to be out of any heavy rain / hail cores but near enough for the lights and sounds.

I know no-one can predict where storms will be but any well-educated guesses are welcome!

If I were you I would head just 4 and 1/2 miles down the road to a place called Grims Dyke/ Old Redding. It has extensive views to the south as far as the North Downs of Surrey. It would be an ideal spot for watching the storms which appear to be heading ing up from the south at the moment.

I used to live locally and would often head there to watch storms.

Ihttp://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp#fromNode=0|Watford, Hertfordshire, UK||-0.390320|51.656489|toNode=0|Old Redding, Harrow, Greater London HA3 6SL, UK||-0.352540|51.620841

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.
6 minutes ago, Chris K said:

It will be interesting to see if we end up with any storms crossing near the Bristol area. Looking at the charts and radars I personally feel we may be that little bit too far to the W/SW. Certainly not ruling it out though - the area is still within the risk zones.

I think we're too far West, Chris - Hope I'm wrong though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Think that bexley storm is going to miss me here in brixton. Loads of cells approaching from the south however. Looks like everythings kicked off around the 12 mark - a lot earlier than I anticipated. As someone else said it feels tropical today!

Indeed! Just standing outside watching a tower going up overhead and the humidity is just climbing and climbing 

View to my South

image.jpeg

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
4 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

being picky, but I think you have the trough is wrong position, it's further west and on more of a pronounced SE-NW axis than you're image by 50-100 miles....doesn't sound much, it gives a more accurate indication for thread viewers on where showers/storms may fire along and slightly ahead of the trough :)

Trough.png.d098bed77bb8e16c827d538aef78a74d.png

No worries, always good for a more experienced eye!

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Indeed! Just standing outside watching a tower going up overhead and the humidity is just climbing and climbing 

View to my South

image.jpeg

Oh wow, that's a lovely sight. Love those dark skies! Don't have a great view south from here, but looking on lightningmaps those cells are getting ever closer and dropping sparks as they go!

• Like 1